Buyer's Remorse (and I haven't even bought one yet!)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buyer's Remorse (and I haven't even bought one yet!) within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I am currently cross-shopping the 2015 WRX with the 2014/5 FXT. I always wanted a WRX, then when I bought ...

Buyer's Remorse (and I haven't even bought one yet!)

I am currently cross-shopping the 2015 WRX with the 2014/5 FXT. I always wanted a WRX, then when I bought one in '08 I felt like it was too soft and underwhelming. I got rid of it 2 years later and bought a V6 5sp Altima as a temporary car (I expected less than from the WRX so it was more acceptable, lol). 4 years on I am bored with the Altima and would prefer AWD again for winter safety... and the new WRX looks to be a different animal now

However, I do have kid #2 on the way and am getting up there in age (not quite like Ray yet ). Although a part of me thinks it's time to grow up, slow down and give up my desire for manual cars, there's a nagging voice in my head is telling me I will get bored with an SUV. My wife's one rant is not that I should be getting something cheaper but that I should be keeping my cars for longer. We do need a larger vehicle but my wife doesn't mind getting an SUV if I don't (she has to replace her car soon anyway).

So what do you reckon? Take one for the team and get the XT or remain self indulgent and get the WRX? Have any of you guys found yourself in a similar position and regretted the decision you made?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Why not go with the CVT WRX? Best of both worlds?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Why not go with the CVT WRX? Best of both worlds?
    Subjectively for me that's the worst of both worlds - it takes some of the fun out of the WRX without providing any of the practicality of the FXT. I think the only reason I didn't buy a G37xS last year was that I would get frustrated in having a great sedan paired with an automatic box. I will only do that in a larger vehicle.

I wouldn't mind a Forester turbo. Those look fun to romp around in.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    I am currently cross-shopping the 2015 WRX with the 2014/5 FXT. I always wanted a WRX, then when I bought one in '08 I felt like it was too soft and underwhelming. I got rid of it 2 years later and bought a V6 5sp Altima as a temporary car (I expected less than from the WRX so it was more acceptable, lol). 4 years on I am bored with the Altima and would prefer AWD again for winter safety... and the new WRX looks to be a different animal now

However, I do have kid #2 on the way and am getting up there in age (not quite like Ray yet ). Although a part of me thinks it's time to grow up, slow down and give up my desire for manual cars, there's a nagging voice in my head is telling me I will get bored with an SUV. My wife's one rant is not that I should be getting something cheaper but that I should be keeping my cars for longer. We do need a larger vehicle but my wife doesn't mind getting an SUV if I don't (she has to replace her car soon anyway).

So what do you reckon? Take one for the team and get the XT or remain self indulgent and get the WRX? Have any of you guys found yourself in a similar position and regretted the decision you made?
    I gather that you are looking for strictly opinion here, as this is a decision that is yours, for your particular situation.

So here is my opinion (disclaimer = my opinion). You want to have a fun and enjoyable, sporty car. It is clear. The Altima is relatively fast, yet boring. The WRX has more character (although some argue that it is becoming more and more like all other cars, but I tend to disagree). The WRX has a new engine with a lot of potential. Often times the first year of a new generation has a few bugs, but what the heck...we need some guinea pigs It has supposedly a nicer tuned suspension, which will add to the fun factor, and a 6 speed tranny. This is all stuff you know. But for a family man, the top rated safety and relatively good amount of space, plus the AWD are all things that will give you a cozy feeling inside that you are doing good for the fam, while still feeding your need for a sporty car.

Then have the wife get the FXT. You will have the best of both worlds(or I guess you could say you would HAVE both worlds)

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I gather that you are looking for strictly opinion here, as this is a decision that is yours, for your particular situation...

Then have the wife get the FXT. You will have the best of both worlds(or I guess you could say you would HAVE both worlds)
    Yes, you nailed it - I'm looking for opinions and thoughts, as when I make the decision it has to be something I am happy about and willing to live with. What I specifically would like to hear is any experiences where people have regretted their decision as that could give me some thoughts that I might otherwise not be able to predict.

Your solution is the one I prefer for a few reasons, but all my wife cares about is the purchase cost and MPG. Yes, that's a great thing... but it means I will have to work hard to explain that the XT will be a family car and probably driven a lot by me as well. Another plus for this scenario is that she is also a manual driver. She loves the idea of having an automatic with two kids distracting her, but is afraid of losing the "skill" of diving a manual. If the WRX clutch is easier than in my one, and at least one reviewer commented that it was, then we would probably swap cars regularly if she got the XT. Naturally I have to get a driving impression on the new WRX first as that might take away all doubts in either direction.

I don't buy the "grow up and get a car that's not manual" thing...what does that have to do with growing up? Why can't you be a mature adult with a family and kids and still drive a manual transmission? If it is something you enjoy, there's no reason why you can't continue enjoying it as long as you are physically able to. When you are driving, especially when you need to quick pay attention to kids in the back, you're more than likely in gear already anyway cruising, or stopped. So why does it matter there?

Get what you enjoy. It will be plenty practical (4 doors, good trunk space, plenty of safety) and is supposed to handle and perform a lot better than the 08 (which is the black sheep Subaru anyway considering it's the worst performing one ever made...you can't compare any other Subaru experiences to that ). If you're going to spend the money on it, it should be something that you will want and enjoy, not something just to settle with. What does the wife drive? Are you a one car family?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I would buy the WRX if its what you want, you said your wife is willing the buy the SUV, so let her have that and you get what you want and you will both be happy. The WRX also as plenty of room, so you will be good when you have to take the kids and wife in your car. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I don't buy the "grow up and get a car that's not manual" thing...what does that have to do with growing up?
    Yeah, that looks random, sorry. I would get an automatic in a larger vehicle as I would most likely change my driving style for that kind of vehicle. I call that growing up... aka the time when my wife stops glaring at me because I am having too much fun. I'd also take the hassles of a manual in stop-start snowy rush hours in a fun car, but not so much if in a utility vehicle.

Again, I am wondering if anyone made this kind of move (sports to utility) and regretted it, or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    I would buy the WRX if its what you want, you said your wife is willing the buy the SUV, so let her have that and you get what you want and you will both be happy. The WRX also as plenty of room, so you will be good when you have to take the kids and wife in your car. Just my .02
    It also very true that we have survived with two sedans, one being a WRX when we had our first. We will get an SUV as it will help with road trips and moving bigger items (rare). However, the thought of me driving a fairly sluggish NA Forester on road trips annoys me - it's a childish annoyance, and a clear sign that I am not yet ready to admit defeat to age. If I can convince my wife that she should get an XT then we're set... but on the other hand, if I get one and she gets an Impreza, that's over $10k extra we can put towards those road trips. That's a sensible compromise - I guess I am slowly finding the right questions to ask myself - "What is the cost of fun over compromise?". Goddam bloody cars!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I feel like wrx covers the "must be sporty and practicall" role pretty well. That's how I would describe mine.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I feel like wrx covers the "must be sporty and practicall" role pretty well. That's how I would describe mine.
    Until you throw a large stroller and a suitcase in the trunk, then realise there's not more room for anything else you need to take on a road trip. We struggled with the Altima and one child last summer!

How often are you taking road trips, or big long trips? Cause you could always get a rental for your trips. I had a Colorado before my wrx just so I could haul things and motorcycle. I realized that I would rather have a fun car to drive every day and rent a car if need for those rare occasions. If every other weekend you load up and take off I can see going with the SUV, but if it's once or twice a year I would get what's more fun to drive every day to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    How often are you taking road trips, or big long trips? Cause you could always get a rental for your trips. I had a Colorado before my wrx just so I could haul things and motorcycle. I realized that I would rather have a fun car to drive every day and rent a car if need for those rare occasions. If every other weekend you load up and take off I can see going with the SUV, but if it's once or twice a year I would get what's more fun to drive every day to work.
    That was a consideration I put to my wife, but we decided that we will get an SUV either way round as we will be generally increasing the loads we carry. I can convince her to get 2.5 Forester CVT - if I am being realistic then I have to admit it will be as good as and safer than anything we would rent. With a good trim level we will still save about $3.5k over an XT.

My biggest question is whether anyone had regrets after making a choice like this. Any option I choose involves a compromise in one direction, and I am trying to assess that those compromises could mean in terms of satisfaction.

I Support ClubWRX
    When I had an SUV I liked being able to off-road. That's about it. I missed the spirited feel of a sporty car and the relatively good gas mileage (not that 16-20 is anything to hoot about). I missed the feeling of taking a corner without feeling like I was going to roll over. I missed being able to go faster than 80 on the interstate in comfort. I also missed being able to step on it when I wanted to (or had to) and actually have the car accelerate reasonably. I will tell you though that this was a Chevy blazer zr2, not a forester xt. Nice thing about the forester is that it really has as close to a sporty/car like experience as you an get (minus high end bmw and mercs). And of course it is not a manual (which is a shame). Have you guys looked at the crosstrek? It's a good compromise if you don't want to go full on SUV...good clearance, good interior space, decently fun to drive. Just tossing that out there since you seem open to options.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.