Buyer's Remorse (and I haven't even bought one yet!) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buyer's Remorse (and I haven't even bought one yet!) within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I personally went from a JP GC w/v8 and Suzuki Sidekick to WRX. I got tired of the drinking problem ...

I personally went from a JP GC w/v8 and Suzuki Sidekick to WRX. I got tired of the drinking problem the Jeep had (though it was a good car) and got tired of the sluggish performance of the Sidekick (in turn it was reliable and cheap). The WRX has plenty of space and performs well, with MPGs of about what the Sidekick did( but in premium fuel). Shortly after my wife got the N/A Forester w/manual and put the Hemi Ram on pasture, to only tow our camping trailer anymore. Our fuel cost was cut considerably, she's happy and so am I...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just leased a 2014 Forester XT. As soon as it is "broke in" I will let ya know how much fun it is. I can say the Harman Kardon stereo is much better than the crap that came in our 13 WRX Limited though.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    When I had an SUV I liked being able to off-road. That's about it. I missed the spirited feel of a sporty car and the relatively good gas mileage (not that 16-20 is anything to hoot about). I missed the feeling of taking a corner without feeling like I was going to roll over. I missed being able to go faster than 80 on the interstate in comfort. I also missed being able to step on it when I wanted to (or had to) and actually have the car accelerate reasonably. I will tell you though that this was a Chevy blazer zr2, not a forester xt. Nice thing about the forester is that it really has as close to a sporty/car like experience as you an get (minus high end bmw and mercs). And of course it is not a manual (which is a shame). Have you guys looked at the crosstrek? It's a good compromise if you don't want to go full on SUV...good clearance, good interior space, decently fun to drive. Just tossing that out there since you seem open to options.
    Brilliant, that's the kind of reply I am looking for - it gives me something to think about when test driving both vehicles. I know that you can step on the XT and it goes, and is not that much slower than the CVT WRX is supposed to go, but I should test it at higher speeds and on something twisty. I have a confession to make as well - I didn't even mind the CVT, and think I understand why the WRX reviewers didn't mind it either.

The CrossTrek is essentially the same size as an Impreza inside and will not be a suitable alternative to an SUV. It is however an option for my wife if I end up getting the Forester. She likes the extra height from testing SUVs so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 13WRXlimited View Post
    I just leased a 2014 Forester XT. As soon as it is "broke in" I will let ya know how much fun it is. I can say the Harman Kardon stereo is much better than the crap that came in our 13 WRX Limited though.
    Please do let me know - I have heard good things from a couple of XT owners so far, and it does go some way to making me feel more comfortable with the idea of getting one. The cheapest vehicle combination for us is for me to get the Forester and my wife the CrossTrek or Impreza (versus WRX and Forester or CX5). I have time to digest thoughts as I will wait until the 2015s are released so that I can try the WRX. Maybe there is a chance of jumping on a discounted 2014 FXT at that time as well.

Cheers guys, and keep the experiences coming!

I have tried the Forester again with a little more thought as to how I like to drive. It's always fun getting into a new car, especially a turbo, but I think I have to be honest with myself and admit that I will probably get bored with it quickly. I am going to wait for a test in the WRX to see how I feel, then we'll make a decision from there. Right now I am set on the WRX and my wife is going to price out the NA Forester against a couple of other options. She is open to the idea of the FXT, but we'll cross that bridge once we have some figures for both in front of us - realistically she is frugal and I have to respect that's why we can even afford these cars in the first place.

Op- get 2011-2014 wrx hatch limited. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Amg14 View Post
    Op- get 2011-2014 wrx hatch limited. Problem solved.
    How do you work that out? I prefer the way the FA drives (based on the XT), am looking forward to flatter cornering (which is why I am not buying the XT for me) and the hatch has a shorter trunk (we're not into covering the back window so we can't see out of it, and I don't care for the safety implications of having an open trunk area anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    I am currently cross-shopping the 2015 WRX with the 2014/5 FXT. I always wanted a WRX, then when I bought one in '08 I felt like it was too soft and underwhelming. I got rid of it 2 years later and bought a V6 5sp Altima as a temporary car (I expected less than from the WRX so it was more acceptable, lol). 4 years on I am bored with the Altima and would prefer AWD again for winter safety... and the new WRX looks to be a different animal now

However, I do have kid #2 on the way and am getting up there in age (not quite like Ray yet ). Although a part of me thinks it's time to grow up, slow down and give up my desire for manual cars, there's a nagging voice in my head is telling me I will get bored with an SUV. My wife's one rant is not that I should be getting something cheaper but that I should be keeping my cars for longer. We do need a larger vehicle but my wife doesn't mind getting an SUV if I don't (she has to replace her car soon anyway).

So what do you reckon? Take one for the team and get the XT or remain self indulgent and get the WRX? Have any of you guys found yourself in a similar position and regretted the decision you made?
    I was in the same situation - needed two cars I had one child now there is another on the way - I do regret the wrx a little for space - sort of wished I got the hatch - we were going to get a certified used xt for my wife but got a tiguan instead. It's good to have both , but the sedan wrx is a squeeze with the one child on trips - probably impossible with two. It's better than the evo (11 vs 6 cubic feet of trunk) but I still can't see how I will get a double pram in ...,
    Food for thought but despite Less hp - the tiguan felt sportier than the forester. (Although it is much smaller and less utilitarian)

Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    I was in the same situation - needed two cars I had one child now there is another on the way - I do regret the wrx a little for space - sort of wished I got the hatch - we were going to get a certified used xt for my wife but got a tiguan instead. It's good to have both , but the sedan wrx is a squeeze with the one child on trips - probably impossible with two. It's better than the evo (11 vs 6 cubic feet of trunk) but I still can't see how I will get a double pram in ...,
    Food for thought but despite Less hp - the tiguan felt sportier than the forester. (Although it is much smaller and less utilitarian)
    Surely having the Forester and WRX would be a good combination? We don't need a double stroller, and I would imagine the WRX would be okay for over 90% of what we would need a vehicle for. I would like to imagine the Forester would cover the rest?

Yeah I think you will be good with that - the forester is more versatile than the tiguan - and for a small sedan the wrx is not bad on space - the hatch would be even better - but I won't be able to fit a double stroller in my wrx

I was able to get my luggage, a sleeping bag, four ski boots , two helmets , a pack and play, a stroller , and 3 other small bags in the wrx for a ski trip - I was very surprised

Plus I always think about all those tiny cars in Europe - both cars are huge compared to the majority of cars there

This has gone sideways for me - my wife no longer wants an SUV because she thinks it will be too big for her. I am going to rent one and superglue her into for a weekend

Seriously though, she has to be comfortable with whatever she drives. My obvious choice is to buy the FXT and have a good family vehicle, but obviously I have my heart set on the new WRX. If I don't care for it after a test drive then the choice is obvious (FXT)... but my wife's main caveat is that I don't moan about what I end up getting, and if I love the WRX I will not be happy with the Forester. I have one shot at this - if I love the WRX and get the FXT, I can't afford to jump into another new car anytime soon. Oh well, I have a couple of months to ponder this before the WRX shows up at the dealership.
    Last edited by Raven Logics; 02-04-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Update - we have decided for now that we would rarely need the larger size offered by the Forester and should get what we both want. The WRX will suffice for over 98% of what I need a car for, and my wife thinks she could get an XV and a roof box to cover most of the rest. We can always rent or borrow a vehicle if we really something larger. I will still test the FXT and WRX side by side before splashing the cash, but this is likely our final decision.

Update - my wife has decided to go with the Forester 2.5! Now I can't afford the WRX

Can or can't?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Can or can't?
    I said "can't" because we just spent the money, but I was joking

Now it comes down to how much I like the 2015 WRX - if it's to die for, then we're buying it. If not I (reluctantly) agree with my wife that I should keep my car and wait until I know what I want. I think that's fair.

I feel like putting some closure on this thread. The advise to stick with the manual and get the sporty car was spot on - I bought the WRX almost a month ago and haven't regretted the decision at all. Every time I drive the CVT Forester it makes appreciate how much I enjoy having the manual WRX. The Forester is a really nice vehicle and the XT even nicer still, but neither is a replacement for the WRX. Thanks for the advice guys - if taking my family out for an afternoon in the Forester makes me crave getting back into the smaller car, then I can't even begin to imagine how bored I would have become if it was my only option!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast