Thinking About Buying Used WRX (19 Years Old) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Thinking About Buying Used WRX (19 Years Old) within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; If you still want to rallyX or AutoX there's plenty of sub

-3k cars out there that would be plenty ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you still want to rallyX or AutoX there's plenty of sub $2-3k cars out there that would be plenty fun and would be project enough to keep you interested but not blow the bank. i.e. miata, 240sx, e30, mr-2, Civic, sentra se-r, 300zx, volvo 240...lol. Just find a clean one. This is basically what I did with my WRX, but I've now spent what it's worth on mods and maint. lol... But it's a daily driver, track beater, road tripper, autoX and RallyX -er, and all around have fun and thrash car which I will keep indefinitely. (note: I have a second vehicle that serves as backup and I rarely drive during the semester.)

example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ZnQymK-6I

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Delayed gratification almost * always * pays off.

I drove a stripped '83 Plymouth Colt (vinyl seats, manual everything) in high school/college. Hell, I kept driving it for the first two years after I had a decent job and could have bought something new.

Drive a beater for four years, put some money away after graduation and * then * start looking for that perfect car. You will be so happy you did.

Have you considered something not as new man? There are plenty more affordable wrx's out there cheaper then the ones you are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If you still want to rallyX or AutoX there's plenty of sub $2-3k cars out there that would be plenty fun and would be project enough to keep you interested but not blow the bank. i.e. miata, 240sx, e30, mr-2, Civic, sentra se-r, 300zx, volvo 240...lol. Just find a clean one. This is basically what I did with my WRX, but I've now spent what it's worth on mods and maint. lol... But it's a daily driver, track beater, road tripper, autoX and RallyX -er, and all around have fun and thrash car which I will keep indefinitely. (note: I have a second vehicle that serves as backup and I rarely drive during the semester.)

example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ZnQymK-6I
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye26 View Post
    Have you considered something not as new man? There are plenty more affordable wrx's out there cheaper then the ones you are looking at.
    These. If you like driving as a past time, look for something used and cheaper. My buddy and I were the two "car guys" in college. Mostly that was because we loved driving, not because we had awesome cars. He started out with a 90's Probe, and I with an 89 Thunderbird. We had fun going for cruises in those, lack of performance abilities notwithstanding. When our cars failed us, we both continued with cheap(er) cars. He got a f-body v6 camaro, and I a Grand Prix GTP. These were definitely more powerful but by no means high performance cars, with both costing well under $10k. We still had fun with those.

There are lots of "fun" cars you can get for less than half the price of a slightly used WRX, plus a little patience to find a good one. And my story just points out that you don't even need a "fun" car to have fun driving. College is all about hangouts and experiences, not 1/4 miles or skidpad g's.

Good luck!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

you'll shoot your eye out

My niece and nephew both currently go to UCSB...and based on what they have said in the past go with a fun beater. Also, what are you're living accommodations going to be ??? If on campus, you'll have to get a bike your freshman year, no cars.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Thanks for the responses everyone! I am most likely going to live off campus, and I longboard a lot so I will use that rather than a bike most likely. I will be transferring after my 2 years so I won't really be considered a freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    These. If you like driving as a past time, look for something used and cheaper. My buddy and I were the two "car guys" in college. Mostly that was because we loved driving, not because we had awesome cars. He started out with a 90's Probe, and I with an 89 Thunderbird. We had fun going for cruises in those, lack of performance abilities notwithstanding. When our cars failed us, we both continued with cheap(er) cars. He got a f-body v6 camaro, and I a Grand Prix GTP. These were definitely more powerful but by no means high performance cars, with both costing well under $10k. We still had fun with those.

There are lots of "fun" cars you can get for less than half the price of a slightly used WRX, plus a little patience to find a good one. And my story just points out that you don't even need a "fun" car to have fun driving. College is all about hangouts and experiences, not 1/4 miles or skidpad g's.

Good luck!
    I totally get what you're saying! There are definitely other fun cars out there. I am pretty stingy when it comes to that, reason being that I'd rather save my money than not get the full experience if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by CaychO View Post
    I totally get what you're saying! There are definitely other fun cars out there. I am pretty stingy when it comes to that, reason being that I'd rather save my money than not get the full experience if you know what I mean.
    I can understand that. For me, the full experience was just getting out and driving, not necessarily having a car with high limits.

The old adage, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Well, that was part of it. It was also just the act of going for a drive. Making a mix beforehand, stopping for sheetz, finding cool places for photos, etc.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12