WRX good 'first' car? (NOT a teen)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX good 'first' car? (NOT a teen) within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey all, Most threads I could find about this question were about (somewhat spoiled) teenagers. I'm closer to my mid ...

WRX good 'first' car? (NOT a teen)

Hey all,

Most threads I could find about this question were about (somewhat spoiled) teenagers. I'm closer to my mid 20s and I can finally afford a car - whichever one I choose. Since this would be truly my first car - i don't have a lot of "day-to-day" driving experience...

I've been told that I'm out of that "invincible" age I should be fine and 'grow' into it - and car insurance companies seem to think the same thing (costs pretty much the same as for a Focus).

I've seen that young people (teenagers) are recommended to start with the non-turbo version and wait to get the "crazy" out of them, but I've waited for so long as it is!!

So, I think I should be fine as long as i respect it. Do you agree?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You'll be fine. If you can afford it and it is the car you want then go for it. Just don't drive like an asshat

I think it is a very good first car, as long as you are responsible. I would also encourage you to take some classes at the track that really explain how to properly handle a sporty car. Many people wreck fastest cars because they understand driving dynamics. Example how to handle a car that understeers. How to properly correct the car if you start to lose control, etc.

I'm making the assumption you are buying new. The break-in instructions are to keep it under 4,000 rpm and avoid hard starts and stops for the first 1,000 miles. If you follow that....by the time 1,000 miles is up, you'll have a good idea of how tame the car can be driven. Choosing to use more of the car's potential beyond that point is up to you.

That said, these cars can be driven very quickly. Just the same with any other car though....you have to stay in control of it, and not let it get away from you.

Should be no problem really as long as you are comfortable with a manual transmission.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Teen or not, the car is not to be handled lightly. It bears a ****load of power for a stock car. I'm a "teen" myself, and am very responsible on the road. Stop generalizing. Anyhow, yes it is a good first car. My WRX is my first car AND my first manual transmission and I've had no problems learning. You can always ask a friend with a manual transmission car to help you with driving stick, it'll maybe save some meat on your clutch haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Deevs View Post
    Teen or not, the car is not to be handled lightly. It bears a ****load of power for a stock car. I'm a "teen" myself, and am very responsible on the road. Stop generalizing. Anyhow, yes it is a good first car. My WRX is my first car AND my first manual transmission and I've had no problems learning. You can always ask a friend with a manual transmission car to help you with driving stick, it'll maybe save some meat on your clutch haha.

How are you a "teen?" Either you are or you are not. And the OP is not generalizing. Teens are generally pretty dumb.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    People are generally pretty dumb.
    Fixed it for you

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXNasty View Post
    Fixed it for you
    While I agree with you, a teen's frontal cortex hasn't fully developed yet. That's the part of the brain that controls their judgements and decision making abilities.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    How are you a "teen?" Either you are or you are not. And the OP is not generalizing. Teens are generally pretty dumb.
    I was a teen not too long ago...I agree.

But without generalizing, the OP could be the worst driver ever, the dumbest driver ever, ..worse than a teen. It's all possible lol. Just make sure you take it to autocross or to a track if you want to drive it fast. (warning: generalization ahead) That's the first thing someone does when they learn how to drive. They think, "alright, I can drive. I'm invincible. I'm great at driving. Let's see how fast we can go around everything." ..even though they may only have 1 year experience. My friend wrecked his ass ugly little 90's saturn coupe because he though it was soooo fast and corned sooo well compared to my RSX which had coilovers etc.., then he exceeded his ability and most definitely the car's ability trying to prove himself. Years later he drives his mom's mini van to college...if she dosn't pick him up.

Cliff Notes: I'm not sure there is a real point to this post.

While I agree with you, a teen's frontal cortex hasn't fully developed yet. That's the part of the brain that controls their judgements and decision making abilities.
    Nice, you can search on Google! So by your standards, I should have totaled my car already? Well, bad news for you! It didn't happen! Anyways, I'm done here, not going to overtake this thread to some arguable non-sense.

Last edited by Deevs; 01-14-2014 at 08:00 AM.

^ NO, good news for you!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Deevs View Post
    Nice, you can search on Google! So by your standards, I should have totaled my car already? Well, bad news for you! It didn't happen! Anyways, I'm done here, not going to overtake this thread to some arguable non-sense.

Well my reasoning is backed by something called science. You just haven't made a poor decision that has ended with you wrecking your car. I'd love to know where I said, "Because teens do not possess a fully developed frontal cortex, they will crash their car." I simply noted that's why teens make poor decisions. Great post, God bless.

Well this escalated quickly.

Haha thanks guys. Also you tend to be a lot more careful when your hard earned money goes into something lol. Maybe that's just me.

Also, on the whole teen thing: Ive done some stupid stuff as a teen + stats dont lie. The funny thing is that part of being a teen usually means you dont realize something is a bad idea. That's why you do it :P

I was actually surprised that car insurance was pretty much the same, regardless of the car

I think a non turbo would be better for your first car
    Using Tapatalk

Really shouldn't make this more than it is. Teens do stupid stuff....agreed (myself included).

The OP looks to be buying with his money, and is asking a reasonable question (I think). Sounds like a responsible thing to do to me.

The WRX has considerable performance yes, but it can very easily be driven like grandma to church also. That really comes down the the driver. If you keep under 4k rpm (like in break in) and stay out of boost for the most part.....then the car is still quick yes....but very managable. Just takes a little self control to not go WOT in 1-3rd gears.

OP....it's all up to you if this would make for a good first car.

Later
    Last edited by XRedJar; 01-14-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast