To Build a WRX Just Buy an STI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on To Build a WRX Just Buy an STI within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I've decided its time to upgrade from my 92 civic and am going Subaru. Wanted to ask the experienced members ...

To Build a WRX Just Buy an STI

I've decided its time to upgrade from my 92 civic and am going Subaru. Wanted to ask the experienced members a not so simple question. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a WRX and rebuilding and upgrading the engine and trans or just buying an STI. What do you guys think, fresh engine and trans vs STI with XXX,XXX miles? I'm going to be doing all the engine work myself and have a hook up for the tranny. Not going to be making my final decision on you guys but appreciate experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How about buy and build the sti?

Buy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    I would buy a newer car given he option. If you do your homework and a good build you can make it exactly what you want and don't have to deal with someone elses mistakes.

I was in the same situation as yourself. Thought hard about what the future for modding would be. I ended up finding Clayton at Ramsey Subaru offers a deal for members. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/vehicl...ubwrx-net.html

I now have a '14 STi base on order in the same color.
    '14 SWP STI

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    First of all, you need to understand the platform that you're building. After that, you need a goal. When you have those two things in your mind, we can help you determine what would be a better car for your desired result.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    First of all, you need to understand the platform that you're building. After that, you need a goal. When you have those two things in your mind, we can help you determine what would be a better car for your desired result.
    Agree with ^

You need to start with what your end goal is. Once you do that, you can research the more cost effective way to achieve that goal. Understanding the platforms and the limitations of some components is key also. If you don't, it's easy to build up a car and start running into failures of components one after the other. Better to upgrade what you'd need to in the first place and save a lot of hassle.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Build an RSTi

Also keep in mind that if you buy a WRX, you will never have an STI. It will cost thousands upon thousands to reach that point. Yes for a small fraction you can get similar performance to an STI, but it won't be one, and will still lack some things an STI would have.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Also keep in mind that if you buy a WRX, you will never have an STI. It will cost thousands upon thousands to reach that point. Yes for a small fraction you can get similar performance to an STI, but it won't be one, and will still lack some things an STI would have.
    That's not true. Slap some sti badges on a wrx and BAM!! Instant Sti.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I don't have a power goal, no matter what it will be the most powerful car I've owned. as far as what I want to do with the car I want to do a bit of amateur rally, auto-x, and have a bit of fun on back roads. To be honest I've only driven a few WRX but not an STI. Going to make sure to do that before I make the final call.

I'd drive both for sure and if you don't get an STi, brace yourself for the "it's not an STi" comments.

I just bought a 2013 STi , had an 09 WRX before , always wanted the STi , just couldn't justify the additional
    cost , but now that I have it , it's a great car ! It's gets more looks and compliments than any car I've ever owned .

Go for an STI if you decide to build and then get sick of it, you can return to stock and get more $ back out of it because it is an STI at the end of the day.

If you buy a wrx be prepared for everyone to ask you if it's an sti and then seem upset that it's just a wrx...as they get in their civic or jetta...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast