Input on trade in value 2004 stock WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Input on trade in value 2004 stock WRX within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but the other ones didn't seem to fit ...

Input on trade in value 2004 stock WRX

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but the other ones didn't seem to fit the mold since I'm not selling it privately. I have a 2004 WRX silver wagon 116,000 miles that I will be trading in for a Forester XT. It's in average condition with no major problems. I was wondering if anyone has any input on what I should ask for and or expect to get? Edmunds and KBB have drastically different numbers for trade in values: Edmunds $3,500 KBB: 6,650 (Massachusetts). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try NADA too. I can only imagine that the dealer will have a different price in mind, though.
    David - '05 WRX

If you're trading it in at a dealer, you won't get squat for it. It's just how dealers are. KBB is the worst tool to use...most dealers don't work with it, and will use a mix of Autotrader and NADA guides for trades. KBB generally is seller-oriented, so it inflates prices more to what sellers want from it, as opposed to what they will realistically get when it comes to trades.

Considering I was only offered $9k on a trade when I was shopping around on my 05 STI in good condition with 130k miles...it's just silly. Retail, the same car was going for $15k+.

If you're content with only getting $4k or so for it via trade...then go for it. Otherwise I think you're leaving a lot of money on the table if you don't go for a private sale (you could sell privately for $7k or so).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

What do you want for it ???? If I'm trading to a dealer I have a set minimum expectation they have to meet. I've been lowballed and started to walk out the door, amazing how they come around. Had no problems with the Subaru dealer though, they hit on the head, exactly what wanted. Devine intervention, blind luck, it worked... lol, but have a plan going in.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

^true story. Don't let them jerk you around, and be prepared to walk out the door. And definitely follow through if you don't get what you like. There's an interesting stat out there that says 90% of the people who walk out the door or say "Let me think about it" don't ever come back...and dealers know this.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Thanks for the tips guys. I have already committed with the dealer to buying the Forester and it has been on order for a while. Do to recent change in circumstances I have decided that I would sell my WRX (reluctantly) and see what I would get for a trade in towards the new car. I am planning to bring it in on Monday and if they don't offer me a reasonable price I will most likely just sell it privately. I just really didn't know where to start with pricing it. It sounds like asking for 6-7k depending on the amount of work it needs might be reasonable? If they try to low ball too much I will definitely walk.

Edit: NADA puts it at $6,300 for average.

I'd shoot for in between KBB and NADA so 6200.00 give or take for trade-in. If you can live with that, or private sale if not.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

@cogito, you replied fast! I re-edited to change the NADA price after I realized I put the wrong milage in but you must have started your reply in between. I will split the difference and shoot for $6400. I will be willing to take a little less because I know one of the O2 sensors is starting to go. Around a $250 repair that I had to do previously in its lifetime.

[QUOTE=EvilDead;3243730]@cogito, you replied fast! I re-edited to change the NADA price after I realized I put the wrong milage in but you must have started your reply in between. I will split the difference and shoot for $6400. I will be willing to take a little less because I know one of the O2 sensors is starting to go. Around a $250 repair that I had to do previously in its lifetime.[/QUOTE

Hey the most important thing is if you're happy with the trade-in value you get. Private sale can be more lucrative, but also has certain implied headaches as well. Good luck.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

So the offer was $5200, I left telling him it was way lower then I wanted so I would have to think about it. That would equate to around a $300 tax break on the new car so it would net me about $5500.

Can I ask what dealer you are using? If found (at least in my area), the 3 Subaru dealers I checked with were all drastically different on my trade-in when I bought my '13.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

Village Subaru in Acton, MA.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.