What sort of test drives do most dealers allow for the WRX and STI?

This is a discussion on What sort of test drives do most dealers allow for the WRX and STI? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I was at one of my local dealers, working on a deal for a new WRX and, when we went ...

What sort of test drives do most dealers allow for the WRX and STI?

I was at one of my local dealers, working on a deal for a new WRX and, when we went out for a ride, he said to "keep it really short".

Unlike most mass-production cars, where there's a demo available for slapping around, I understand that with more rare cars, such as a WRX, a dealer must strike a balance between allowing prospective customers to reasonably test a vehicle and providing near-zero miles products to those very customers.

Out of curiosity, I asked the salesman how they handle prospective STI customers. He said they won't even offer a test drive until they've fiddled around with paperwork for awhile and, only after that, is the customer allowed a very short drive.

What experiences have you found? Are dealers around you more free with the test drives? Mind you, I'm referring to drives on new vehicles, not used. Although, for the purposes of a 2014 WRX, a ride in a couple-year-old one might be enough to get a feel for what you're buying.

Thanks!

BC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have a great relationship with my local dealer. I test drove a new wrx a few years ago and the saleswoman took me to an unfinished neighborhood and told me to have fun. I also test drove an sti and was able to take it on a 15-20 minute drive.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I imagine an established relationship might help. I just strolled in, asking about a particular car that was in transit. I had never visited the dealership before.

That said, I'm 47 years old. I don't think I gave off an "I'm here to wring all I can out of your car" attitude. Heck, I showed up to the dealer in my '99 Forester.

I just bought my 2014 wrx on Monday but I had been to all the Subaru dealers with 60 miles. The first one let me test drive what ever I wanted no questions asked and as hard as I wanted. Then the next one wanted to do a credit check but I told them no cause there car was the same as the last dealer just $1500 more for no reason. Then the dealership I bought mine from let's any drive what they want. I didn't even test drive mine cause it had 5 miles on it and already drove a few. I asked them the same thing and they said they just kinda get a few for the person, like if it's a 18 year old kid just wanting to test drive an sti they have to be pre approved, but if it's someone like me which I'm only 24 comes in and looks at the car and a couple and talks numbers and shows I'm really looking for something to buy they just give me the keys and go.

I bought my 2013 earlier this year and the dealership would not let me drive the car until I had a deposit on it - it was just a wrx - as far as I could tell they didn't even have an sti - i had to go to the next dealer over to try the car . I test drove 3 evos and a ralliart at 2 dealers no problems and ford let me take a very long test drive with an st just a few months ago - I went wot through to 4th and they didn't say anything

Me and my fiance went to our local dealer and he had no problem letting me drive the WRX we ended up buying. That was before any paperwork was done. I think it helped that we took my $42,000 Ford Edge Limited. Also the car we were trading in was a 06 Mazda 6s and spotless with only 68,000 miles on it.

I had no issue test driving WRX, I think I drove 5 of them before I finally bought one. Though the place I purchased from wouldn't let me drive the GTR they had
    '11 WRX DGM