WRX or STi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or STi within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Alright, guys. I know there are probably endless threads on this topic, but why not another for times sake? I'm ...

Dog

WRX or STi

Alright, guys. I know there are probably endless threads on this topic, but why not another for times sake? I'm 18 years old and am looking into either the WRX or the STI. Before all of you keyboard warriors go off on me...I would like to add that money is not a problem. I am leaving for college this coming year. I have the responsibility and maturity to drive the beast. I have been around cars, motorsports, and more for the duration of my life so experience with the mechanics and the overall vehicle is not a problem.

SO, the WRX or the STI?

Feel free to ask any information I didn't include...If I am able to I will either edit the post, or reply. Thanks ---

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If money is not a problem, congrats, and buy something else.

If money is a problem after all, buy the cheapest car to own for the next four years.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Lexus ISF or BMW M3.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by stilletto; 12-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Also, you wouldn't be asking if money weren't an issue.

Dog
    I just wanted an outside opinion...Sorry for asking

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Alright, guys. I know there are probably endless threads on this topic, but why not another for times sake? I'm 18 years old and am looking into either the WRX or the STI. Before all of you keyboard warriors go off on me...I would like to add that money is not a problem. I am leaving for college this coming year. I have the responsibility and maturity to drive the beast. I have been around cars, motorsports, and more for the duration of my life so experience with the mechanics and the overall vehicle is not a problem.

SO, the WRX or the STI?

Feel free to ask any information I didn't include...If I am able to I will either edit the post, or reply. Thanks ---
    Take a test drive man. Getting some seat time in both cars should help you answer your question.

If it doesn't help you decide, then do some searching around. This exact question has been asked before on this forum many times. You'll get nothing here that hasn't already been said somewhere else.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by subypete View Post
    Take a test drive man. Getting some seat time in both cars should help you answer your question.

If it doesn't help you decide, then do some searching around. This exact question has been asked before on this forum many times. You'll get nothing here that hasn't already been said somewhere else.
    What he said.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post
    Lexus ISF or BMW Me.
    That's a tough choice but given an option I'd always go for Toyota. ISF if it were me.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    why get an STi when its more then enough car? A WRX is still plenty... I've been around cars my whole life too. Driven on the edge, been in many fun cars with others, and the list goes on... still, nonetheless, going 130+ when YOU'RE in the drivers seat on a public road is nothing to scoff at. if something goes wrong, your gone. you get pulled over, your license is gone. countless times with my 2 previous cars i went 110, nothing in feel to 130. Think about whats more practical for you, take test drives, comb through ALL your options, figure out what you want your end product of the vehicle to be, and decide from there. if money is no object, buy new, dont chance used...especially on cars like these. Being young, youre gonna beat on it...we all have and do at some point, how do you know preivous owner(s) havent beat on the one youre buying used? Take your time, dont jump on the first one you find. Many here spent months (im sure some spent years), finding the one for them. Remember too... 93 octane fuel, adds up quick vs. 83 octance for fuel prices. Wish you the best, both in college and finding the car right for you!

I just wanted an outside opinion...Sorry for asking
    I test drove both, then purchased a WRX. I'll quickly give you my reasoning as to why.

Both the WRX and STI are fast, but they're not the same fast. The STI's power comes on much smoother, while the WRX kicks you in the ass. I preferred that rush of power.

I'm more a fan of five speeds for city driving, less shifts, but even I'll admit, the WRX's transmission is terrible. Short Shifter and bushings clean it up a bit, but I've been spoiled by Honda and VW transmissions. Also, the five speeds longer gearing actually helps the WRX feel faster than the STI.

The bodies were the same, which was ultimately the deciding factor for me. I wouldn't have bought a WRX if they were still narrow bodied. This new generation looks fugly. I'm more interested in the STI variant.

I'll never visit a track, so the upgraded brakes, suspension, and transmission won't benefit me.

Also, the bit of money I save allows me to modify my car. I'd rather have MY WRX than a stock STI.

I Support ClubWRX
    i dont wanna blow your mind but you should really consider buying a BMW M3, they are by far the best cars on the road today nothing will beat it in a 1/4 mile race and they are more expensive because they are just better.

Before all of you keyboard warriors go off on me...I would like to add that money is not a problem.
    Damnit...Biggie was wrong.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    If money is questionable, anything with a 7.3L turbo diesel, in my opinion.

If money isn't an issue, any newer cummins diesel. Afterwards, money probably will be an issue (and you'll have a deathly fast truck)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatBroBill View Post
    i dont wanna blow your mind but you should really consider buying a BMW M3, they are by far the best cars on the road today nothing will beat it in a 1/4 mile race and they are more expensive because they are just better.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

It was all a dream
    I used to read word up magazine
    Salt 'n' Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousin
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI