Never buy a used WRX?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Never buy a used WRX? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Since these cars are abused 9 times out of 10 I would assume that I should buy a new wrx ...

Never buy a used WRX?

Since these cars are abused 9 times out of 10 I would assume that I should buy a new wrx as opposed to a used one right? Especially when the used ones aren't a whole lot cheaper then a new one..maybe 5-6 grand cheaper so why not buy new and save myself troubles down the road?

Now I wouldn't always buy new but when it comes to the wrx and whats it made for and what it can do then it usually is driven hard and not well taken care of, not to say they are all like that but I would say a good majority are. So did you guys buy your wrx new or used and would you recommend buying new as opposed to used when it comes to the wrx?
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought used from a dealership but mine was a leased vehicle. Now why someone would lease a WRX is beyond me but that also may not mean squat in terms of abuse. Whenever you buy a used vehicle, no matter what car it is, you are taking a risk by not being completely informed as to how the previous owner treated said vehicle. That being said, It is ALWAYS better to buy new as opposed to used but sometimes that is not practical.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I bought mine new. I'm saving all the maintenance records for the next owner. Having good maintenance records would be a must if I were buying a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I bought used from a dealership but mine was a leased vehicle. Now why someone would lease a WRX is beyond me but that also may not mean squat in terms of abuse. Whenever you buy a used vehicle, no matter what car it is, you are taking a risk by not being completely informed as to how the previous owner treated said vehicle. That being said, It is ALWAYS better to buy new as opposed to used but sometimes that is not practical.
    Agreed, I just would assume a car like the wrx and sti attract younger buyers and therefore abuse them as opposed to say an old man buying a Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla.
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    Agreed, I just would assume a car like the wrx and sti attract younger buyers and therefore abuse them as opposed to say an old man buying a Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla.
    It funny you mention that. There is a thread on here with the ages of people past and present and it seems to be quite the range. The WRX and STi are geared towards the 20-25 age market, but many people are 30+ when they purchase. It really depends on the buyer. You CAN find a clean, unmodded WRX, but you'll have to be willing to search a few months or longer to find it. They are out there.

If you're looking to buy used, go back more then 4 years. Some 2011+ models are still going for what a brand new base price WRX is worth. Dat value retention yo.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I'm 48

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    It funny you mention that. There is a thread on here with the ages of people past and present and it seems to be quite the range. The WRX and STi are geared towards the 20-25 age market, but many people are 30+ when they purchase. It really depends on the buyer. You CAN find a clean, unmodded WRX, but you'll have to be willing to search a few months or longer to find it. They are out there.

If you're looking to buy used, go back more then 4 years. Some 2011+ models are still going for what a brand new base price WRX is worth. Dat value retention yo.
    How is it possible that a 2011 can go for the same price as a new one? It's a Subaru not a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    I'm 48
    Whoa there.. lol not saying that "older" people won't buy them but like Lanes said, they are marketed towards a certain age demographic. I suppose it really does depend on the owner of the car, you could have some old person who abuses the car but then some 20 year old kid who babies it so... hard to get a good reading on it but I was always told that if the interior looks good then the car was well taken care of.

I Support ClubWRX
    How is it possible that a 2011 can go for the same price as a new one? It's a Subaru not a Ferrari.
    Well, WRXs are a highly sought after tuner car as well as having a huge cult following. Not a Ferrari, no, but there are people out there who would pay that premium. I literally saw base 2011 models on auto trader for $23,xxx+ when a new base model is $26,000 essentially. If that was me, and it was (even though I went with limited), I'll gladly pay that extra money to guarantee it's broken in properly and that it's truly my car and no one else's.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Well, WRXs are a highly sought after tuner car as well as having a huge cult following. Not a Ferrari, no, but there are people out there who would pay that premium. I literally saw base 2011 models on auto trader for $23,xxx+ when a new base model is $26,000 essentially. If that was me, and it was (even though I went with limited), I'll gladly pay that extra money to guarantee it's broken in properly and that it's truly my car and no one else's.
    I agree with breaking in properly and having the feeling it truly is your car and noone elses.

I have a feeling though that just because the car is popular shouldn't mean the price of it goes up. There has to be a value on the car itself based on the cost of parts and all the other things and not how popular it is. At least for me, that's what I notice is people selling these cars for thousands over what blue book states just because they are popular and that isn't right imo.

I bought my bugeye in 2007 with 112,000 miles. I've had it since then with no major issues. And there are countless others who have bought used WRXs with great success.

There's no reason not to buy a used WRX if it's been properly maintained.

Here's a great "how-to" thread on buying used. SD_GR says not to buy a modified WRX/STI. In my opinion, that's not always the case. However, if you buy a modified car, you better know your stuff and understand the risk.

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by subypete View Post
    I bought my bugeye in 2007 with 112,000 miles. I've had it since then with no major issues. And there are countless others who have bought used WRXs with great success.

There's no reason not to buy a used WRX if it's been properly maintained.

Here's a great "how-to" thread on buying used. SD_GR says not to buy a modified WRX/STI. In my opinion, that's not always the case. However, if you buy a modified car, you better know your stuff and understand the risk.

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Alot of tuners will return it to stock and sell their parts or use em for the next car so I imagine it would be difficult to know if it was returned to stock.

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    As subypete posted that link... VERY good reference, and unfortuantely I skimped on a lot of the checklist... Maintenance records to prove everything, however, im stuck having to replace my engine. If you look at KBB or NADA you will see that the value of the car is FAR from what dealerships are asking for them used. In my area, a used 2007 at a dealership, low mileage (50-60k), 17, 18k to buy...look at KBB or NADA, youre looking like 10-11 for a good clean car... And thats all youll get from your bank. I would have preferred buying mine new, but I only had good enough credit for a 10k loan, and i got my 2004 at just shy of NADA book value (9300). In my case, not practical to have bought new, but with any luck, between the car and my credit card I will have enough credit to get something from a dealership used (if not new) when the car is paid off. Ultimately, its at the discretion of the buyer, but as also been mentioned, it doesnt matter what kind or model of a car, if buying used youre taking a chance on it having been beaten and improperly maintained.

Alot of tuners will return it to stock and sell their parts or use em for the next car so I imagine it would be difficult to know if it was returned to stock.
    Yes, some people do that. That's the purpose of compression/leakdown tests and having it checked out by someone who is very familiar with the car. There are usually tell-tale signs a car has been modified. Even if a WRX/STI has been converted back to stock from something as simple as Stage II, you shouldbe able to tell by looking for wrench scuffs on bolts and the ECU.

Additionally, prospective buyers have a huge community (this forum and others) of highly knowledgeable enthusiasts at their disposal when doing their research.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

I bought my 11 used with 27,500 on the clock. Have 46,000 now and (knock on wood) haven't had any issues other than the clutch fork needing to be greased and a bolt in the sunroof that needed tightening. I'm wary of used but if it has original warranty or CPO I feel a bit better about it. I've bough and SI and a GTI used before this too and haven't had issues either. It's all luck of the draw but I try to find one that appears like it wasn't modded

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast