Subaru Survey after the sale

This is a discussion on Subaru Survey after the sale within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Totally bizarre stuff going on here. I got my '14 wrx a month ago. A couple weeks after that i ...

Subaru Survey after the sale

Totally bizarre stuff going on here. I got my '14 wrx a month ago. A couple weeks after that i filled out this survey about the whole thing. Now first things first... I am extremely pleased with the dealership, the car, everything. This survey had me rank a number of things ranging from 1-10. I think "10" was extraordinary, "8" was extremely good, "7" was well above average... something along those lines. Now call me a prude, but almost NOTHING in the world constitutes EXTRAORDINARY except for hangover-less booze, the return of jesus christ on a flaming lion, and a Led Zeppelin reunion WITH John Bonham. Well, after I filled out the survey truthfully (Lowest mark was a 6 ), my dealer emailed me asking why i "Trashed" them and why i didnt give all criteria a rating of 10. Now I believe that i gave them all very good scores, and i thought they would be happy with this. He told me that they get docked some amount of money for not having a perfect survey. HOW in the HELL would ANYBODY rank every aspect of a car buying experience with an extraordinary mark? Did I get to see The Beatles reunite and play a flawless "Abbey Road" LIVE in my living room??? NO! So it was NOT EXTRAORDINARY!! Now they're mad at me and I'm afraid if i ever bring it back for warranty work they're gonnna be real big ****s to me or something, maybe im wrong. but i cant help but wonder.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is "grade inflation." It used to happen on transcripts for students; now it happens online (for example, Ebay evaluations where if it's not four stars it's trash) and it's been happening among dealers for a while.

I don't know why they insist on getting full stars. More importantly, I don't care, and I suspect neither do you.

You could explain to them that you are very pleased with the transaction and the reviews reflect that. You could also offer to bring the car back and have them refund you the purchase price if they are unhappy -- if you do this, point out that you're doing them a favour, since they didn't extend you the same courtesy when you bought it.

They should find all this exciting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ask them to send you another survey so you can modify your results, and rank your full experience bearing that reply email in mind. Then, use another Subaru dealership for any warranty work...I'm sorry, but that is not how you conduct customer relations; the proper way to go about that email would be to write to you to thank you for your feedback, apologize that you weren't happier with your buying experience, and ask what they could do to better the experience in the future.

I'm assuming had the email been approached that way, you would have explained exactly as you did here, in that you felt the experience was "well above average", and they could forward that to whomever passes judgment on surveys. These types of surveys are quite subjective, and in turn, the results can sometimes be misleading. The "docked pay" is likely in reference to a bonus that the dealership gets based on survey results, so I wouldn't read too much into that (honestly, any, considering their tact).
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-06-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

hhhhmmm Don't think I filled one out .... but agreed, it wasn't a extraordinary experience. But they did give me a quart of oil (like to have that on hand for my road side kit) and a full tank of gas ...
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

When my wife and I got our outback, i recall the salesman saying something like "if you receive a survey, please mark everything as a 10, otherwise it might as well be a zero"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    When my wife and I got our outback, i recall the salesman saying something like "if you receive a survey, please mark everything as a 10, otherwise it might as well be a zero"
    Every dealer in the US from whom I've ever bought a car has said this.

The issue is whether this is the right thing to do. Although I don't like damning anyone with faint praise, on the other hand it's not the client's fault if somebody can actually evaluated a survey correctly. If they only intended 10 and 0, they should have the management send out surveys with only 10 and 0.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^Or with just 'yes' or 'no.'

Were you happy with the blah blah (question here)?

a. yes
    b. no
    c. other (please use the box to leave a short explanation)

...something like that might work better eh?

Quote Originally Posted by deejuks2 View Post
    Totally bizarre stuff going on here. I got my '14 wrx a month ago. A couple weeks after that i filled out this survey about the whole thing. Now first things first... I am extremely pleased with the dealership, the car, everything. This survey had me rank a number of things ranging from 1-10. I think "10" was extraordinary, "8" was extremely good, "7" was well above average... something along those lines. Now call me a prude, but almost NOTHING in the world constitutes EXTRAORDINARY except for hangover-less booze, the return of jesus christ on a flaming lion, and a Led Zeppelin reunion WITH John Bonham. Well, after I filled out the survey truthfully (Lowest mark was a 6 ), my dealer emailed me asking why i "Trashed" them and why i didnt give all criteria a rating of 10. Now I believe that i gave them all very good scores, and i thought they would be happy with this. He told me that they get docked some amount of money for not having a perfect survey. HOW in the HELL would ANYBODY rank every aspect of a car buying experience with an extraordinary mark? Did I get to see The Beatles reunite and play a flawless "Abbey Road" LIVE in my living room??? NO! So it was NOT EXTRAORDINARY!! Now they're mad at me and I'm afraid if i ever bring it back for warranty work they're gonnna be real big ****s to me or something, maybe im wrong. but i cant help but wonder.
    I had a very similar experience after my first service. I'd already completed several online surveys regarding the purchase experience, what I thought of the car, etc. and all said the results were confidential. There are two service reps at my local dealer. I was booked in by the friendly female, but upon arrival she was busy. So I dealt solely with the patronising, been-doing-the-job-too-long, male rep. If I remember correctly, you're right that 10 says "outstanding". I think 9 is "truly exceptional". Well, I'm sorry but there was no way this guy was getting either of those scored from me. Regardless, I can't image what a service department would have to do in order for me to consider them "truly exceptional". Sexual favors while I wait, perhaps? I don't know.

Then when I returned a week later to drop the car off for warranty work, I was confronted by the female rep (it was her who booked me in, so I was her customer, despite not dealing with her) who wanted to know what she had done wrong for me to give such average scores. WTF?? Way to make your customers feel comfortable, people! I made comments on the form stating that I thought the male rep should be fired. I wouldn't have been so honest if I thought the service department would actually know it was ME who wrote that! I was furious. So I explained that I was scoring her colleague and that the scoring system was a total mess.

Never again will I be honest on those surveys because I don't want to be in that uncomfortable situation again.

My buddy actually owns renick subaru and Cadillac. I gave them all 10s because they get $10,000 in advertisement. So yeah kinda a big deal

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    at my place of business, if you score a 9 or 10 on a survey that is good. anything under a 9 is not good and you more than likely will be contacted so we can see what you dislike and what we can do to improve going forward.

as far as the email asking why you trashed them though - that seems really unprofessional. a better way to go about it would be "i'm sorry you weren't satisfied in some aspects. do you have any feedback to help us improve our experience going forward" or something along those lines.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I work for a Ford dealership and the surveys are nonsence. If 99/100 questions are 10/10 and 1 is under 9 it is considered a 50% survey. I would never contact a customer becuase of their survey, just seems like bad business. Fords system is Excellent or nothing. Very good is just as bad as poor. Very flawed system.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    at my place of business, if you score a 9 or 10 on a survey that is good. anything under a 9 is not good and you more than likely will be contacted so we can see what you dislike and what we can do to improve going forward.

as far as the email asking why you trashed them though - that seems really unprofessional. a better way to go about it would be "i'm sorry you weren't satisfied in some aspects. do you have any feedback to help us improve our experience going forward" or something along those lines.
    The thing is tho... I actually was very satisfied. Would I classify it as "extraordinary"? No. Would I classify it as "Excellent"? Yes. Seems very cruel that someones pay check or christmas bonus is left in the hands of an extremely subjective survey like this.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by deejuks2
    The thing is tho... I actually was very satisfied. Would I classify it as "extraordinary"? No. Would I classify it as "Excellent"? Yes. Seems very cruel that someones pay check or christmas bonus is left in the hands of an extremely subjective survey like this.
    I highly doubt there is any kind of pay cut involved in a survey. A bonus, I could see. But, that's where you have to consider what a "bonus" is...it's an unexpected additional amount of money. You shouldn't ever expect any kind of a raise/bonus unless it's written into your contract; you be glad you got it, but there are no guarantees.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    So if there is a bonus it is likely whoever is giving it didn't intend every single salesperson to get it; rather only those that are extraordinary.

The salespeople hyphen completely ignored the meaning or intention of the bonus and simply see "all 10s = $" so instead of being extraordinary they simply go about being whatever, and demanding all survey recipients answer "10."

I'm not impressed with this attitude.

When I picked up my new WRX the salesman really pushed the perfect score on the survey bit. I told him no one was perfect and to do otherwise than an honest appraisal was BS. We had quite a conversation about it and when the survey came I scored it as I saw it. They got a few 9s and one score of 4 because they promised to have me out of the dealer in 45 minutes and it took over 4 hours to get the paperwork done.

About three weeks later they FedX'd me a new contract to sign and return the same day. They had to have it back by the end of the month to get credit for the sale in that month. Good thing for them I had already done the survey as the 4 would have been a 2.

I had a salesman tell me on another purchase that if I gave him anything less than a perfect score he would get fired. I hope he found a new job.
    2014 Crazy Cart
    2014 WRX 5 door base model
    2013 5/8ths scale Lotus 7 http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/sc...brary/Baby%207
    2011 Ram 1500
    2004 Caterham 7 SV http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm
    1992 Mazda Miata