Another Sti or WRX thread

This is a discussion on Another Sti or WRX thread within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Yes, we all know that the STi is better, it's just a fact. I want to know what you folks ...

Another Sti or WRX thread

Yes, we all know that the STi is better, it's just a fact. I want to know what you folks think is better for me though.
    So firstly, my car history and what I'm used to. Front wheel drive mostly, I've owned a Golf Gti vr6, and a Honda CRX. Neither have much power, or could be classified as even close to a standard Impreza.
    I'm looking at a year around 2005, since budget is an issue
    No, I don't plan to go to a track, or even try to race random delinquents on the street. I'm just looking for a fun, 4wd, reliable car, and the Impreza caught my eye.
    If I decide to get the WRX, I wouldn't try to modify it to have the equivalent power to an STi, but I may tinker. If I decide to get the STi, I probably wouldn't be replacing anything unless it breaks.

The big thing though, is that I want to have fun. If the WRX is difficult to just have fun in, then maybe the STi would be better for me.

So, with all the "STi or die" thoughts out of mind, what does everyone think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The problem is finding one that hasn't been modified or beaten to death.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just by the list of your needs, I'd say the Wrx would suit you just fine.
    Last edited by WrxPower; 11-08-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Thumb is to fat for iPhone keyboard.

I Support ClubWRX
    Go out and test drive STi's and WRX's. If the price is right then get the one that feels the best to you. We could argue one way or another all day, but it really boils down to you getting seat time and making your own decision. Also, before you buy make sure you get a qualified mechanic to make sure the car is in good shape, and there are records showing that all the regular maintenance has been done.

Looking at 8 yr old cars - I'd think it's mostly up to the individual car. Some have been beaten, some have been treated nice, upkeep and repairs are important. Accident history and so on... You MIGHT find a STI in better shape and at a better price than a WRX. Not likely, but also not impossible. Then it's probably time to look for the 'hook" - it's bound to be there somewhere... But it boils down to the individual car. You'll likely find some with some mods, not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on what those are and if they are quality and something you actually like/want. Again, you'll be looking not so much at STI/WRX but the particular car and it's condition. From your post it seems that either will be fine for you. The original (new) differences are pretty meaningless in you situation and at that age. If nothing has been done you have a piece of junk no matter which model it is. Brakes, radiators, suspension at the least have a life expectancy and often need replacements above regular maintenance during the life of the car.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Test drive each.

There is a much bigger difference between STIs and WRXs of that generation, compared to the WRXs and STIs of the current generation.

Personally, I probably wouldn't settle for an older WRX...I'd want the power of the STI (considering I had two already, I'm biased).

But currently, I have a 2012 WRX as it was more financially possible than an STI at this point, but still had improved performance closer to the STI.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I'll definitely test drive each then and see what suits me. I can see the individual car would differ of course, so I should take a bit more time than I was planning to hunt the right one down (not that I was rushing in the first place).
    As far as age is concerned, the absolute newest I could go would be 2008, which I realize is just barely touching into the newer generation, but that's as far as the budget could handle. Probably.

Hell if you could get a 06 or 07 STI with good history, stock, and lower mileage, I'd be all about it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

When you're checking these cars out be somewhat anal about it. Make sure big ticket items work. Rear defrost, (I just had to fix mine) clutch, steering, etc. Whether its modded or not someone is selling it for a reason. Not to scare you just facts. Get carfax reports. Good luck with your search, you'll have fun in either wrx or sti.

Quote Originally Posted by NowDatsG View Post
    When you're checking these cars out be somewhat anal about it. Make sure big ticket items work. Rear defrost, (I just had to fix mine) clutch, steering, etc. Whether its modded or not someone is selling it for a reason. Not to scare you just facts. Get carfax reports. Good luck with your search, you'll have fun in either wrx or sti.
    I was probably going look at dealerships since I might be slightly more likely to get a better conditioned car. At the other hand, I guess depending on the situation, I could be more likely to get screwed over.

Idk there's a lot of tech in the sti that I love, like the DCCD and such, but with it being used as a calmer daily driver with the occasional spur of idiocy such as flooring it in a back road, or taking the occasional corner here and there sharp, will I be missing out on all that much? Or will the WRX be more than enough for me? Even a standard impreza would still be the most powerful, sporty car that I'd own up til this point, I just don't want to regret getting a WRX because of some lack of thrill

You are correct, you can get screwed at the dealer. I bought my 08 wrx in august, the rear defrost did not work, the clutch slips, and drivers side visor was missing (the only thing I noticed upon test drive). I also work at a dealer so I know that the quality of used cars is not all that great

The only way to tell which one you'll enjoy or what you'll be missing out on is drive them both. Drive them a couple times. I never drove an sti because it was out of my price range or it had more miles than I wanted. If it helps the only thing I regret about buying my rex is the lack of comfort. I came out of a Chrysler 300, boat on wheels

I was in this pickle somewhat. Only I was deciding on a newer sti (08+) or an older one (04-07). If you're only looking for a wrx or sti, BE PATIENT. Don't settle on one b/c of price. They will be likely modded no matter how stock it appears. I'm biased as well, so I'll will say get the sti. Good luck. Btw I know a guy selling a COMPLETELY stock sti: 07 pearl white with gold rims in NJ. I almost bought it, but I didn't want an older sti. He's selling it for 20k it has 60k original miles on it.
    A car is only as good as its driver