Should I buy it, or walk away?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should I buy it, or walk away? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey guys, In my area (Western Pa) there is a mechanic at a local dealership looking to sell his 02 ...

Hey guys,

In my area (Western Pa) there is a mechanic at a local dealership looking to sell his 02 WRX. He told me he had a race motor in it, but is keeping the motor, and reverting everything to stock. The car only has 60k miles on it, but he said he keeps losing oil. I couldn't really understand what he was saying. From what I made out, he said something about oil tubings. It could be something else, but that's what I remember.

He's asking 2,500 for it. I know you guys have a lot of experience with Rex's. If it is the tubing, is that detrimental? What other problems could cause this? I appreciate the answers and advice. Thanks a bunch.
    Current Cars: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT - 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS 5MT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    For that money if one were mechanically inclined, one could part out the car piece by piece and make a profit. Since you're asking, you're not an ideal person for that task.

If it keeps losing oil but he's reverting the motor, I don't follow how it will continue using oil. Any number of things could cause oil loss; all of those things would be familiar to a mechanic.

Since you don't know what you're buying, and can't disassemble and sell it piecemeal, walk.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

How dare I ask questions about a car I'm not familiar with. As I stated, I'm just going by what he told me. I wasn't sure what he was getting at either. So I came here to see if you guys can help me clarify it, or at least give it a shot since you guys have experience with these cars.I'm going to the dealership Saturday to talk to him.

Please don't make assumptions about me. Not mechanically inclined? How can you make that assumption having never met me in your entire life? I've been building PC's and helping my Dad fix cars ( not foreign) since I was a teenager. Thanks for your input though. Everyone starts somewhere.
    Last edited by InfaRedd; 11-06-2013 at 06:16 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by InfaRedd View Post
    Please don't make assumptions about me. Not mechanically inclined? How can you make that assumption having never met me in your entire life?
    Here are the statements I used to help me arrive at my conclusion:

I couldn't really understand what he was saying. From what I made out, he said something about oil tubings... {SNIP} If it is the tubing, is that detrimental? What other problems could cause this?
    Since neither you nor I know what "oil tubings" are, at least in this context, your safest bet is to not buy the car.

Another thought is to have your father evaluate whether it's worth parting out the car.

So far you've stated the car has one motor, loses oil, and will have another motor when the car is sold to you. Again, if the motor is going to be changed, what difference does it make if this motor loses oil? Is the oil loss from somewhere else?

Let's consider it this way: the oil loss is either a big deal or it is not. If it's a big deal, I'd not buy the car. If it's not a big deal, why would a mechanic not fix it?

In fact, why would a mechanic put a considerable amount of work into a car (changing a motor isn't trivial for anyone even if only their time is lost) and then sell it for less than half its current value if it were working and trouble-free?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It doesn't sound right. "oil tubings" would probably refer to oil lines to turbo and back. Or vent line(s). Either should be small trouble. If it's the engine - well, if it gets replaced it really doesn't matter. What it going in for an engine? Or is the oil issue somewhere in the drive line? Like transmission, diffs,...?
    I don't think this sounds good...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

Since neither you nor I know what "oil tubings" are, at least in this context, your safest bet is to not buy the car.

Another thought is to have your father evaluate whether it's worth parting out the car.

So far you've stated the car has one motor, loses oil, and will have another motor when the car is sold to you. Again, if the motor is going to be changed, what difference does it make if this motor loses oil? Is the oil loss from somewhere else?

Let's consider it this way: the oil loss is either a big deal or it is not. If it's a big deal, I'd not buy the car. If it's not a big deal, why would a mechanic not fix it?

In fact, why would a mechanic put a considerable amount of work into a car (changing a motor isn't trivial for anyone even if only their time is lost) and then sell it for less than half its current value if it were working and trouble-free?

He said he doesn't have the time to fix it. Just going by what he told me. I'll have more info on Saturday. Eagerness and anxiety is why I asked now. This could be my shot at a cheap WRX that I can have
    (if fixable) as a winter/fun car to hold me over until I step into my dream car in 2015.

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

Now you're just being ridiculous with your logic!

OP, as he stated, if you are puzzled by "oil tubings" ( and why wouldn't you be? They sound related to muffler bearings), then it seems that you might not have the knowledge to do a hypothetical part out.

Now, SD also gave you some good advice, find someone who is VERY knowledgeable to go with you to look at the car.

Again, if he is taking out the race engine that is leaking oil, then that shouldn't be your concern. There isn't a whole helluva lot left that leaks oil.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iBone
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    I don't think this sounds good...
    I can't make odds or ends of it but that was my general conclusion also.

He said he doesn't have the time to fix it.
    Yet he does have time to swap an entire engine? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Eagerness and anxiety is why I asked now.
    Those are both really expensive.

This could be my shot at a cheap WRX that I can have
    (if fixable) as a winter/fun car to hold me over until I step into my dream car in 2015.
    The price is low even for a rolling chassis. The info he gave you isn't consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by shamankjm View Post
    OP, as he stated, if you are puzzled by "oil tubings" ( and why wouldn't you be? They sound related to muffler bearings), then it seems that you might not have the knowledge to do a hypothetical part out.
    ... and from what we've heard a part out could be profitable; it won't leave the OP with a working car though. Then again, there is no indication the car works now. We don't know enough and what we do know has contradictions.

The car does run, but loses oil. All I know so far. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on what he says. Thanks for the advice. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

SD- No disrespect intended to you at all.

I Support ClubWRX
    InfaRedd, likewise. None intended and none taken.

Be careful, it's money.

Here's my input on this situation... He claims he's a mechanic and he is going to remove the "race engine" and put the stock bits back in... He claims he doesn't have time to fix this so called oil leak, but he has the time to do an engine removial and reinstall... What this tells me is that the issue comes down to money to fix whatever is causing it to use so much oil... Plus if he's willing to sell the car for less then half of what the car is worth it sounds like the car needs an engine replacement if he's willing to loose 2-4 thousand in resale value...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Maybe he meant since the race engine is losing oil he is taking it out and reverting it back to the stock engine. We need more damn info.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Check out this one...just saw it posted.

PA: Pittsburgh 2002 WRX Wagon
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    The car does run, but loses oil. All I know so far. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on what he says. Thanks for the advice. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

SD- No disrespect intended to you at all.
    I'm still confused as to weather he is saying that this so called "race engine" has the oil leak, or if the engine this "mechanic" is taking the time to reinstall is the one with the oil leak. It doesn't make sense to me that the seller would mention the oil leak if it wasn't in the engine he is selling the car with.

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I'm still confused as to weather he is saying that this so called "race engine" has the oil leak, or if the engine this "mechanic" is taking the time to reinstall is the one with the oil leak. It doesn't make sense to me that the seller would mention the oil leak if it wasn't in the engine he is selling the car with.
    Maybe the mechanic ain't that bright? He IS selling it for less than half the value of the car. Lol

Sent from my iBone
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast