Possible purchase, got a few questions for WRX owners...

This is a discussion on Possible purchase, got a few questions for WRX owners... within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Ive been looking at this 2008 WRX on autotrader since i need an upgrade pretty badly, currently driving a 2000 ...

Possible purchase, got a few questions for WRX owners...

Ive been looking at this 2008 WRX on autotrader since i need an upgrade pretty badly, currently driving a 2000 legacy gt. My main concern is the mileage on it and the normal head gasket lifespan on this engine. Its doesnt look modified at all so hopefully it wasnt driven like a bat out of hell, but buying a new car with close 120k miles can be a bit worrying. i asked the dealer for any maintenance records over the phone but they said it was unavailable at the time. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas on good questions to ask or parts to inspect. Just curious about the first things that go wrong from experience. Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its my knowledge to ask for the car fax, which will have any some or maybe all records of service. I bought an RX-8 and it was an 04, carfax had every service since being sold for the past 7 years before I got it.
    Other than that, check compression and for basic signs of neglect. An interior is a good way to tell if someone was meticulous or not.

As for Subaru's Head gaskets... Someone more experienced with that will have to chime in.

It should have had its Timing belt/105k service done...

Never really hear of head gaskets causing issues in these. At least I haven't...

Its a good idea to have an independent 3rd party mechanic look at the car, specifically one who specializes in Subarus.

I feel like you can find something with better mileage for that same price though.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I personally would not get a 2008. They are very underpowered from the factory.

As mentioned before, the 2008 is largly underpowered for the 2008+ Era of WRX. I think it is always best to take a potential used car you want to purchase to a trusted 3rd party mechanic that knows what to look for in Subaru. When I was looking for a WRX I always checked a few common things, such as the timing belt, wear and tear of the car, and checked for leaks, check for rust. At those KMS you want to check the Clutch, and belts as they should have been replaced already or on the way out. All in all its best to get a mechanic to come with you to check.

for my personal Opinion. I think you could get better WRX for that price maybe even a 2009 265. The 2008 was one of my least liked WRX's and I have been a Rex fan for years. I would opt to get a 2007 before a 2008. To me when i test drove an 08 I felt it was very weak, and felt numb compared to older models.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I personally would not get a 2008. They are very underpowered from the factory.
    Nothing a VF52 wouldn't solve.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah i honestly dont want a 2008 model but anything is an upgrade. It just seems to be slim pickings around here for a good awd standard transmission car. I might just hang out in the sale forums for awhile and hope something pops up.

Yeah if you're going to spend a lot of money for a car...don't bother getting something you "honestly don't want." You'd end up regretting it and be stuck with it.

Wait until you find exactly what you want.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Nothing a VF52 wouldn't solve.
    Very true, but I would want to be getting a darn good deal if I was going to be immediately making a turbo (and all the supporting parts) upgrade! Also, I am not a fan of the 3rd gen pre-wide body, but that's more of a picky thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Very true, but I would want to be getting a darn good deal if I was going to be immediately making a turbo (and all the supporting parts) upgrade! Also, I am not a fan of the 3rd gen pre-wide body, but that's more of a picky thing.
    IIRC, all you need is a tune to run it. The injectors are already 565s and the fuel pump flows enough.

I agree though. I hate the non-flared look.