Better option for $16,000
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Better option for ,000 within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey all, I'm a Subie Nooby, and was initially interested in a WRX but my budget is fairly small. On ...

Better option for $16,000

Hey all, I'm a Subie Nooby, and was initially interested in a WRX but my budget is fairly small.

On the used car hunt I saw locally a pretty nice '09 WRX with Navigation with 53k miles for $16k
    http://bit.ly/1isGBy1

Secondly you can obtain a 2011 Impreza 2.5i with less than 20k miles for the same price or a little less.
    http://bit.ly/Heoqk6

What are some opinions of the pros and cons (besides Horsepower)? Will the WRX last another 100k miles with that turbo engine? Any more costly to repair than the regualr 2.5i?

Ideally I'd like to own either of the cars for 100k miles or less and was looking for some input.
    Last edited by dacdaddy; 10-29-2013 at 08:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

depends if you want a family car or a fun car to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by brianthebballa View Post
    depends if you want a family car or a fun car to drive.
    They're both family oriented they are both a sedan the only difference is the rex has a turbo a wrx can be a family car no problem o_O. In my experience almost all subarus last a long time depending on how hard you are on a wrx, but of course if you drive any car hard its not gonna last. The pros are the wrx is a fun very quick for a daily driver and awd drive beast in the snow (much fun to be had) really no cons to getting a wrx. IMO I would get the wrx much more fun to drive around town it's practical even if you have a family don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Maintenance wise a wrx is relatively cheap to maintain much cheaper than some other cars out there.

You mention you have a small budget. A few other things to weigh in on is the difference between Regular and Premium Fuel and Insurance cost differences.

I've been reading about the engine issues with the 2009s. Seems like it mostly happened under the first 7,500 miles. Something to be concerned about with a wrx at 53k miles?

I Support ClubWRX
    The turbocharger isn't the only difference between an Impreza 2.5i and a WRX. The OP will want to actually drive examples of the cars in question to see which suits his driving preferences; I suspect that they will feel different going over bumpy roads and around corners, and that there will be other nuances.

Also to note; The odds of a 53K WRX having been driven hard or perhaps modified (and then maybe returned to stock) are MUCH higher than a low-mileage 2.5i, which people buy to be a family-hauler or a commuter. An improperly-modified WRX can be a can of worms, and I'd recommend getting a (Subaru WRX-experienced) mechanic to look at anything that you're considering.
    Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    They're both family oriented they are both a sedan the only difference is the rex has a turbo a wrx can be a family car no problem o_O. In my experience almost all subarus last a long time depending on how hard you are on a wrx, but of course if you drive any car hard its not gonna last. The pros are the wrx is a fun very quick for a daily driver and awd drive beast in the snow (much fun to be had) really no cons to getting a wrx. IMO I would get the wrx much more fun to drive around town it's practical even if you have a family don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Maintenance wise a wrx is relatively cheap to maintain much cheaper than some other cars out there.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

All depends on what you want out of the car. Do you care for performance? WRX isn't just a "more powerful" car...it's virtually different in almost every way, other than interior space than the base Impreza.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.