BUYING NEW VS USED VOTE

View Poll Results: NEW OR OLD SUBI (READ POST)

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • NEW SUBI + BE BROKE

32 65.31%
  • OLD SUBI + MOD

17 34.69%

This is a discussion on BUYING NEW VS USED VOTE within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; So I am now in the position this month to make a purchase of a new subi. I would like ...

BUYING NEW VS USED VOTE

So I am now in the position this month to make a purchase of a new subi. I would like to take a vote on what you would rather do: Buy a new 2013/14 WRX and leave it alone as well as payments for the next 3-5 years, or purchase a used subi 03-05 and have money left over to build the motor, suspension.... ? Whats your thoughts on it? I recently test drove a 2013 pumpkin orange wrx and was in love as well as my best friend owns a 03 both, are very fast but the 2013 seemed like it had more creature comforts and was a cozier car in general for long drives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

new

Quote Originally Posted by Motoxdude6 View Post
    new
    Reasoning? ^

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd combine the two options by buying used and leaving it alone. I'd only do maintenance as needed and correct any modifications using stock parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    buy the newest subaru you can afford with the lowest miles & best maintenance records you can find.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    buy the newest subaru you can afford with the lowest miles & best maintenance records you can find.
    If can afford it buy new and make it your own. If not, ^
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Neither.

New Toyota + Save.

Also, it's a violation of informal forum rules to list a Poll and not include an option for "bewbs"
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I wouldn't do anything that will make you broke. Dez nailed it...buy the newest one you can afford, with the best records available on it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Used but not abused! Let someone else take the big hit on buying it new.I have never owned a new vehicle myself. But I do keep my family in a new vehicle.

BUYING NEW VS USED VOTE

I generally agree with let someone take the initial depreciation hit, but these cars don't seem to lose much the first year, making the choice much harder. I'd be happy with a 2012 or 13 low mileage ( under 12k) sti, but it's only a few k less than a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
    I generally agree with let someone take the initial depreciation hit, but these cars don't seem to lose much the first year, making the choice much harder.
    I wholeheartedly second this. I'm not seeing much of a drop at all ... especially on year-old models and even moreso at a dealer (Subie or otherwise). I was all set to buy used, but to save just a grand or two, no way.

I was pretty set on a 2012 or 2013 used STI, but with the cost in the mid 30's, it looks like the hit is around 1500 - 2000 a year. That's not worth getting a used car, as it too will depreciate for the first 2 or 3 years at a similar rate. I don't see how dealers are marking up used cars to almost the cost of new ones though, and having people actually buy them. There's a dealer near me with a 2013 STI with 1000 miles on it asking 35,000. I understand it is almost new, but the fact is that it is still used. That car at 33,500 would have already been bought, probably by myself. Instead, I'm holding out for a 2015 WRX, or possibly the STI, depending on what it looks like next month. ...okay, who are we fooling, it's almost for sure going to be the STi.

Quote Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
    I was pretty set on a 2012 or 2013 used STI, but with the cost in the mid 30's, it looks like the hit is around 1500 - 2000 a year. That's not worth getting a used car, as it too will depreciate for the first 2 or 3 years at a similar rate. I don't see how dealers are marking up used cars to almost the cost of new ones though, and having people actually buy them. There's a dealer near me with a 2013 STI with 1000 miles on it asking 35,000. I understand it is almost new, but the fact is that it is still used. That car at 33,500 would have already been bought, probably by myself. Instead, I'm holding out for a 2015 WRX, or possibly the STI, depending on what it looks like next month. ...okay, who are we fooling, it's almost for sure going to be the STi.
    Have you talked to the dealer ???? Deal with him/her ask for 32,000 to start, or less, and negotiate to 33,500 if that's the bottom end price. But if your market will bear that price your out of luck.

Sorry bear that 35K price your out of luck
    Last edited by cogito; 12-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Thanks Cogito,
    After seeing the 2015's, it seems like a better all-around car for a few K more is the way to go. In some ways, for someone like me who will likely never track, a 2015 WRX may be a nicer ride than a used STi. I still like cabins that look somewhat nice, and the new ones look better to me. Not sure about the outside, but hey, I won't see that part of the car whenever I'm in it, so I'm good

Good on you. You have a position of leverage, you can opt for a new car, some can't. Enjoy your new 2015 !!!!!
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker