What's up with this 08' STI I'm thinking about buying?

This is a discussion on What's up with this 08' STI I'm thinking about buying? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; So, I took a look at this at the dealership, nothing really seemed "off". However, the bumper trim and grill ...

What's up with this 08' STI I'm thinking about buying?

So, I took a look at this at the dealership, nothing really seemed "off". However, the bumper trim and grill look different from all other 2008s I've seen.

This is the car:

This is how most of them look that model year:

Anybody know what's going on with this one? It's also priced significantly less than what I've found, even the ones on B lots. Dealer claims its priced low just because "its been sitting a while" ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It probably got in a front end collision and they put the newer body bumper on.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It has a few things bad about it. 1. it's a Subaru. 2. it's an 08 which was known for blowing up.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Saw this thread on iwsti.com. This car was in an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    It probably got in a front end collision and they put the newer body bumper on.
    Winner.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

"show me the Carfax"

Yep, updated the other thread. Found accident this year and was Traded in 6 months, not a good sign. Anyone Herr have access to full Carfax reports?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    It has a few things bad about it. 1. it's a Subaru. 2. it's an 08 which was known for blowing up.
    ...really? 08s have issues?

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
    Yep, updated the other thread. Found accident this year and was Traded in 6 months, not a good sign. Anyone Herr have access to full Carfax reports?
    Not everyone reports to Carfax and thus it's mostly a sham to give buyers peace of mind for a very poor investment they are about to make. I'd trust instincts before Carfax.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
    ...really? 08s have issues?
    Yes, the 08 STI was known to have ringland failures out the wazoo. Granted, ringlands are a weak point in the EJ motors, but combine that with the 08s horrible factory tune and...*BOOM* SOA replaced quite a few under warranty. The 07s had a similar issue although not nearly as widespread as the 08s. I'd avoid this purchase.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I bought a used CTS-V that had a clean Carfax. Took it to another dealership to find that it had been hit... Really, really hard (bent subframe, broken rims, etc) Never showed up on the carfax.

Your best bet for any used car is to take it to another dealership and pay $200 to have it inspected.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Not everyone reports to Carfax and thus it's mostly a sham to give buyers peace of mind for a very poor investment they are about to make. I'd trust instincts before Carfax.

Yes, the 08 STI was known to have ringland failures out the wazoo. Granted, ringlands are a weak point in the EJ motors, but combine that with the 08s horrible factory tune and...*BOOM* SOA replaced quite a few under warranty. The 07s had a similar issue although not nearly as widespread as the 08s. I'd avoid this purchase.
    Thanks, had no idea. Good looking out. Accident, model year issues, two Owners....yep, gonna avoid this one like the plague.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Winner.