2006 WRX or another alternative?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006 WRX or another alternative? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Alright guys, I need some advice from the people who know. I have about 8 grand in the bank right ...

2006 WRX or another alternative?

Alright guys, I need some advice from the people who know.

I have about 8 grand in the bank right now, and I can get another 3 grand once I sell my current ride. I am looking to buy a WRX, preferrably 02-06. I know the later models come with the 2.5l engine over the 2.0, but thats not a big deal for me.

I found this ad on a local listing:

Subaru Impreza | ksl.com

Its a dealership, which sucks, but I figure I might talk them down to the 12 grand neighborhood, maybe even pick it up for around 11,500. What do you think? I know there is only so much to be gleaned from an ad, and that I would have to go test drive it to see how it really is, but do you think the price would be reasonable for what the car is?

I would prefer not to take a loan out, I'm a student and I don't want to go in debt. I love all the years I listed, but its proven very difficult to find one that hasn't been modded or has some issue, like "Threw a rod at 90k miles" that makes you wonder how hard its been driven. The car above looks pretty stock, although the fact that it has been de-badged in the back makes me a little weary, only the "racerboy" kids do that usually. It looks like it still has the stock airbox though, which is a very good sign.

I simply want this car because its quick, fun, and not too "Hey look at me, look how fast I am". I considered a Dodge SRT4, but have since dismissed it for that very reason. I don't plan on modding it much or "street racing" it, I just want a fast, fun, clean ride.

What are your opinions? Should I look into this one? Would I be just as satisfied with an earlier year model? I assume, despite the .5l difference in size, that mpg will be roughly the same for both engines. Thanks ahead for your time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's been modded. I'd pass on it and keep looking. With these cars you always get someone else's problem that they caused.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

What makes you think so? The STI spoiler/de-badge? Or did you see something I didn't in the engine-bay shot? Thanks!
    EDIT: It looks like it might have an aftermarket boost gauge too...

The turbo inlet is blue. It just seems odd that that is the only thing modded on it or was it just the only thing the guy didn't take off before he traded it in because it's such a pain in the ass...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely been modded. Looks like aftermarket exhaust, boost gauge, ^^inlet, and who know what else. I agree that most people won't do an inlet alone. Probably has had a different turbo on it. I would pass.

What about this one?

Subaru Impreza | ksl.com

This one has obviously been modded and probably beat on a bit, but it looks like he replaced the head gaskets already (i've heard they can be prone to failure), as well as the clutch. Only things that would really worry me are the turbo and the tranny I guess.

He says hes running 13 psi. What is the factory boost pressure? This ad isnt the best example of a clean WRX, but I bet I could get him down to 6k or cheaper. But with 170k miles on the clock, it would probably just be a money pit, right?

Thanks for all your help so far.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nobody on here would recommend that you buy that car. What you need to look for is a stock car that has a clean maintenance history (that is if you care about the reliability of it, or are not just looking for a fun project car that you are going to be tearing down anyway).

Yeah, you're right. I think I just need to accept the fact that I will be paying beyond 10k for a good all-stock, low mile wrx. Sounds like if the price comes down, so does reliability. Thanks for all the input so far, I'll keep posting ads that catch my eye as they come.

Hmm, this ad just popped up. Not completely stock, but close to it. I could probably talk him down to 9 grand pretty easily. This one a pass too?

EDIT: Sorry here is the link. Honestly after looking it over a bit more, its not worth it. Modded and probably been beat on. I do like the price though.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/938290?ad_cid=12
    Last edited by Jbeckforever; 10-04-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    Hmm, this ad just popped up. Not completely stock, but close to it. I could probably talk him down to 9 grand pretty easily. This one a pass too?
    No Ad.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post

EDIT: Sorry here is the link. Honestly after looking it over a bit more, its not worth it. Modded and probably been beat on. I do like the price though.

Subaru Impreza | ksl.com
    The fact that he has drag wheels to go with it is an instant no from me.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Want a bugeye? You can have mine!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Good luck on your search man.

I'm searching for a new ride also, and something I have learned is be patient and make sure you research
    ( you are doing that already).

I almost got carried away and bought a mistake a couple weeks ago, I'm glad I talked myself out of it.

The right car will come along for you. Just check the ads a lot. Where all are you looking ?

Craigslist has good deals sometimes. Auto trader, any local import forums in your area also.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    aside from the wheels, i dont like the fact that he just slapped a cold air intake on and nothing else

like everyone else has stated, a stock wrx is key. unfortunately with your 11k budget, the likelihood of you getting an 06 is very very slim. it will most likely have extremely high mileage if you happen to find one.

for 11k, you can probably find a well taken care off 02-03.

edit: does it have to be manual?

i found this.. i'm assuming youre in UT based on the other ads you posted
    Subaru Impreza | ksl.com
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 10-05-2013 at 05:46 AM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    aside from the wheels, i dont like the fact that he just slapped a cold air intake on and nothing else

like everyone else has stated, a stock wrx is key. unfortunately with your 11k budget, the likelihood of you getting an 06 is very very slim. it will most likely have extremely high mileage if you happen to find one.

for 11k, you can probably find a well taken care off 02-03.
    For 11k he could probably buy an 02-03 even if it's craptastic and rebuild it. Which would be fun too!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast