Selling my 06 S2k for WRX... But Which one?

This is a discussion on Selling my 06 S2k for WRX... But Which one? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello ladies and gents, new guy here. As I have read the differences between STI and WRX Limited. But the ...

Selling my 06 S2k for WRX... But Which one?

Hello ladies and gents, new guy here. As I have read the differences between STI and WRX Limited. But the question that is nagging me is the difference of the transmission. Based on looking at specs regarding the two motors, looks like subaru began to use 2.5L in both, but the turbo in the STI I believe is larger? So besides that, seems the things I should be looking at is the suspension and drive train?

Looking at the 5 door option and I don't plan to buy aftermarket parts for the car, as I am buying this cause of a new addition to the family, and still hoping to retain something that resembles anything to my S2k when going down those lovely windy roads. (Though I'm told no other car will ever come close =T)

Help me out here. I have my eyes on the STI, but I am not someone to just run off and buy a car because it has a larger turbo, but at a 6000$ price increase. I am looking for more mechanical differences between the two WRX's if someone can tell me.

Thank you for any advice/information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to determine which better suits your needs. Very general statement...

WRX: Street car you can track
    STI: Track car you can street

Power-wise, they're about the same. Slightly better parts used on the STI, but they are mostly "better" in terms of they'll do better in a track environment.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    The STI has the 6 speed in it which is a rather bullet proof Transmission from what I've read. The 5 speeds, on the other hand, that come stock in the WRX's are not that great in terms of being able to take it to the limit quite often, and especially don't last long when modding for HP, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you as you don't really want to mod (that was my train of thought and I've only owned my WRX for 3 weeks now and have a never ending list of mods ). The biggest difference's, in my opinion, between the WRX and the STI is the 5 speed vs 6 speed, the slightly stiffer and lower suspension (better handling), and the calipers/rotors that come stock.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The wrx in general will not tun like the s2k. However it has a tremendous amount of grip so you can just throw it into the corner and if its slips just give it more gas cause the awd will put the power where it needs be. Understeer is more prominent. If you're not modding or making it a track car just get the wrx, not the sti. it will be cheaper and suit your needs better.

However its completely up to you. You know what you can afford and what you want. Give them a test drive and see if its worth the price difference.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    The STI has the 6 speed in it which is a rather bullet proof Transmission from what I've read. The 5 speeds, on the other hand, that come stock in the WRX's are not that great in terms of being able to take it to the limit quite often, and especially don't last long when modding for HP, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you as you don't really want to mod (that was my train of thought and I've only owned my WRX for 3 weeks now and have a never ending list of mods ). The biggest difference's, in my opinion, between the WRX and the STI is the 5 speed vs 6 speed, the slightly stiffer and lower suspension (better handling), and the calipers/rotors that come stock.
    Don't forget the DCCD.

I would pay 6k to have the STI drive-line in my WRX, however I'm not sure on current cars but the STI 6th gear used to be less over-driven than the WRX 5th gear so highway economy suffered slightly. If you have the money I would say its worth it.

I have STI dampers with WRX springs and the ride is definitely harsher than the WRX dampers but part of that is being slightly over damped for my springs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Don't forget the DCCD.
    Ah, yes the DCCD. Totally forgot about that. The DCCD in the STI is totally different than in the WRX and optimized for control and traction.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Ah, yes the DCCD. Totally forgot about that. The DCCD in the STI is totally different than in the WRX and optimized for control and traction.
    The WRX does not have DCCD at all... Also the STI has front helical LSD and rear Clutch type LSD with active electronically controlled center diff. I believe the new WRX has only one Viscous LSD in the center and both front and rear are open using traction control systems to limit wheel spin.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    new WRX has only one Viscous LSD in the center and both front and rear are open using traction control systems to limit wheel spin.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yeah, if you plan on tracking the car or something, the STI has the adjustable center differential, I assume thats the DCCD thing the other guys have mentioned. Thats nice because you can set it up for a track day to be more biased towards the rear, and then set it back to "normal" once you've had your fun and are ready to head home.

The S2000 is a completely different beast in many ways. If you had the AP1, I'm sure you got used to shifting at like 9k rpm, and then there is the famous VTEC system of Hondas that will simply feel different to how a turbo kicks in. Also, I've heard people can manage some pretty decent MPG numbers in those S2ks, whereas in the STI you will get 20 mpg on a good day, from what I hear. You are right though, going from 2 seater to 4 seater, the STI would be one of the first cars on my mind as far as comparable capabilities, right behind the BMW E36 M3, or the Mitsubishi Evo line...

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    Yeah, if you plan on tracking the car or something, the STI has the adjustable center differential, I assume thats the DCCD thing the other guys have mentioned. Thats nice because you can set it up for a track day to be more biased towards the rear, and then set it back to "normal" once you've had your fun and are ready to head home.

The S2000 is a completely different beast in many ways. If you had the AP1, I'm sure you got used to shifting at like 9k rpm, and then there is the famous VTEC system of Hondas that will simply feel different to how a turbo kicks in. Also, I've heard people can manage some pretty decent MPG numbers in those S2ks, whereas in the STI you will get 20 mpg on a good day, from what I hear. You are right though, going from 2 seater to 4 seater, the STI would be one of the first cars on my mind as far as comparable capabilities, right behind the BMW E36 M3, or the Mitsubishi Evo line...
    Replying from phone here...

Thank you for the responses guys, what I was looking for. Found some good info also on the subaru brochure.

I think I will go with the STI. Before my S2k I had a mr2 turbo. I remember the feel of the turbo in that thing. Was different then vtec for sure but similiar.

Next question for you guys that stay up on the differences. 2013 or 2014? What changes were made in a nut shell? I'm going to assume only cosmetics?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EtrnlFlux View Post
    Replying from phone here...

Thank you for the responses guys, what I was looking for. Found some good info also on the subaru brochure.

I think I will go with the STI. Before my S2k I had a mr2 turbo. I remember the feel of the turbo in that thing. Was different then vtec for sure but similiar.

Next question for you guys that stay up on the differences. 2013 or 2014? What changes were made in a nut shell? I'm going to assume only cosmetics?
    2013 = 2014