'06 wrx base vs. TR model
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '06 wrx base vs. TR model within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm looking to get an '06 wrx, car has a little work to it, but nothing big. air intake by ...

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States

'06 wrx base vs. TR model

I'm looking to get an '06 wrx, car has a little work to it, but nothing big. air intake by COBB, turbo back exhaust thoubh im drawing a blank on the name, BC race suspension with Camber adjustment from soft to hard and an access port, though it was never tuned. Dont know why it was ever tuned, but its there. also comes with stock suspension, stock exhaust system and a spare set of wheels and tires. originally he was asking 18,500 for it, but had no bites so he lowered it to 17,500. I talked him down to 16,500. Car has just over 71k on it, 60,000 tune up was done, reciept to show. In any event, I have to get a loan for it, but I'm in a pickle. I dont know i its a TR or a base model, how can i tell the difference? new to the whole WRX thing, but both models look exactly the same. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would stay far away if it's been running those mods and wasn't tuned. Every time the previous owner got on the gas they did damage to the engine driving it in that condition. Unless you're already planning on replacing the engine right away, I would not buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I would stay far away if it's been running those mods and wasn't tuned. Every time the previous owner got on the gas they did damage to the engine driving it in that condition. Unless you're already planning on replacing the engine right away, I would not buy it.
    forgive the question, but why?

If it's not tuned at all.. that means, one.. the MAF in the new intake has not been scaled. When the car enters open loop fueling it will have been dumping the incorrect amount of fuel because it's not getting the right values from the MAF. It could be running lean, causing excessive heat and detonation (which results in broken ringlands and/or spun rod bearings, AKA, time for a new engine). Or it could be running excessively rich, washing the cylinder walls, resulting in poor seal and excessive blow by. Two.. running an aftermarket downpipe means there is considerably less back pressure on the turbine. The car will be boosting more than it was tuned for. This usually means at full throttle the ECU will be hitting load sites in the map that are entirely untuned for. It basically has no idea what it's doing, results in knock, detonation, could be lean.. once again, time for a new motor.

The electronic fuel injection system is a precision instrument. When you start screwing with things effecting what the sensors read and getting into areas of the map that are not tuned at all.. bad things happen.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The TR equals:
    No auto climate control.
    No side skirts.
    No aluminum peddle covers.
    No rear cup holder.
    No spoiler.
    Unpainted side mirror covers.
    2.5i front seats.
    2.5i door cards.
    3rd brake light in rear window.
    No leather shifter.
    No fog lights.
    No chrome door handles inside.
    Supper crappy single DIN CD player in place of double DIN 6 disk CD player.
    Cheaper speakers from base 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    The TR equals:
    No auto climate control.
    No side skirts.
    No aluminum peddle covers.
    No rear cup holder.
    No spoiler.
    Unpainted side mirror covers.
    2.5i front seats.
    2.5i door cards.
    3rd brake light in rear window.
    No leather shifter.
    No fog lights.
    No chrome door handles inside.
    Supper crappy single DIN CD player in place of double DIN 6 disk CD player.
    Cheaper speakers from base 2.5i
    Thanks for answering. If not for the reply below I would be in good shape...

If it's not tuned at all.. that means, one.. the MAF in the new intake has not been scaled. When the car enters open loop fueling it will have been dumping the incorrect amount of fuel because it's not getting the right values from the MAF. It could be running lean, causing excessive heat and detonation (which results in broken ringlands and/or spun rod bearings, AKA, time for a new engine). Or it could be running excessively rich, washing the cylinder walls, resulting in poor seal and excessive blow by. Two.. running an aftermarket downpipe means there is considerably less back pressure on the turbine. The car will be boosting more than it was tuned for. This usually means at full throttle the ECU will be hitting load sites in the map that are entirely untuned for. It basically has no idea what it's doing, results in knock, detonation, could be lean.. once again, time for a new motor.

The electronic fuel injection system is a precision instrument. When you start screwing with things effecting what the sensors read and getting into areas of the map that are not tuned at all.. bad things happen.
    Also, again thanks. IF I had known all this I would not have looked at the car. Looks like I'm back to the planning board...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    Also, again thanks. IF I had known all this I would not have looked at the car. Looks like I'm back to the planning board...

If it's been running the right map on the AP then it should be okay. It's possible that the seller only meant that he has never had the car custom tuned.. it doesn't make a lot of sense to have the AP but not use it when it has a map for your mods, but I have seen people do stranger things.

If it's been running the right map on the AP then it should be okay. It's possible that the seller only meant that he has never had the car custom tuned.. it doesn't make a lot of sense to have the AP but not use it when it has a map for your mods, but I have seen people do stranger things.
    e had mentioned at one point that he meant to get the mapping, but he didnt, and wasnt sure what was done as a result..I'll take it as it wasnt tuned, but the port was put in. I havent spoken to him about it much, but as i dig around i find more questions to ask and things to look for. hen I took it for a rip, it was all smooth and under me. much like what one would expect. In no way am I a mechanic, but Ive done enough back yard work to know a couple things. at the idle and start up it was as it should have been. no ticks, rattles or knocks. turbo spooled what appeared to be as it should have been, if not a whisker sooner, probably cause of the intake and exhaust. If I can get a map of the AP, I can throw it up for looking through by a more knowledgeable set of eyes. He claims his brother is a certified subaru mechanic..but anyone can say what they want to off load a car like this. It all seems like he isnt out to shaft anyone, he has a mortgage, two kids and three other cars...a toy isnt high on his priority list. Next time I get a moment I'll give him a call and see if he can get his hands on the map adn go from there. if it has a map thats alright for whats been done I'll follow through, loan permitting.

Unfortunately I dont have the money to get a compression test done, and not having a boost gauge limits my ability to check its boost at a given RPM.

Thanks for the replies. keep chiming in, any tips or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Sometimes damage can take a long time to lead to failure. It's possible to buy a car that has been abused, and have it last another 100k miles if well maintained. You can use the AP to read boost levels, among other things, and log it. If there is something wrong with the engine it would likely show up in data logs.

Guess thats the next step, getting my hands on a mapping of things before I worry too much about things.

Got in touch with the guy, he read me off the mapping, Stage 2, 93 octane MTV101, and then he said there were other things that can be custom tuned. Dont know anything about AP's, but does this all sound good? I'm hoping to catch up with him in the next week or two and see it for myself so I know he isnt pulling my chain, but should I be looking for other things on the AP?

I Wouldnt mind having the turbo shaft checked for play, and having a compression test done, but I imagine its expensive and money isnt a big thing I have sitting around. Also, would a dealership do this, or would I need to find a garage somewhere that is reputable and knows about subarus I would assume a dealership could do it, then again, I've had my fair share of being wrong based on assumptions. Could I get a point in the right direction?
    Last edited by Hogdweeb; 10-05-2013 at 03:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.