Help Shopping for a Used WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help Shopping for a Used WRX within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I have recently started looking for a rex and I've found this one. I test drove it yesterday and mechanically ...

Help Shopping for a Used WRX

I have recently started looking for a rex and I've found this one. I test drove it yesterday and mechanically it seems like it's in a good shape. However, there is a decent size dent on the hood along with a few smaller ones on the front bumper and fender. The AC doesn't work and one of the tires need to be replaced due to a nail inside of it. I like the fact that it's a one owner and he claims to have all of the maintenance records but I wanted your opinion on how much it's worth. I've checked kbb and NADA but I would also like your opinions as well. Thanks

2004 Subaru WRX Wagon - WR Blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sure someone more helpful will jump in too, but aside from the obvious, keep in mind with that mileage that car is going to need a clutch and a timing belt job very soon. Also, make sure all the tires match, brand and tread. AWD cars don't like mis-matched tires. If you can post the vin or pm it to me I'll run a carfax for you. Assuming it is the original clutch and t belt, for that price I'd be looking for a car that needs less work. It sounds like it needs at least 2500 put into it to be a reliable daily driver.
    Last edited by rexxx0486; 09-12-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I completely forgot about the clutch when talking to him about maintenace but he did say that the timing belt was changed by the dealer at 88k. I will ask for the vin soon.

Anyone else?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    things i like:

- 1 owner
    - garaged
    - low mileage (for an 04)
    - appears to be stock

i'd say this could potentially be a great buy.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    things i like:

- 1 owner
    - garaged
    - low mileage (for an 04)
    - appears to be stock

i'd say this could potentially be a great buy.
    I used the Subaru buying list that a member here posted when I was checking the car out. The condition seems reasonable for a 9 year old car but I found recently that my local Subaru dealer does free inspection so I'm thinking of doing that next.

However, what price do you think seems reasonable for a car like this given the condition it is in?

Thanks everyone for the replies by the way.

I didn't find any aftermarket crap on it and it seemed unmolested but you can never be too sure.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    it depends. what is wrong with the AC? that could be a cheap fix or a very expensive one. new tires will probably be around $500-$600 (you cant just replace one). i'd try to get him down to $9500 depending on what needs to be done w/ the AC
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 09-13-2013 at 06:25 AM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I'm hoping the AC only needs to be re-charged but I will find out after doing the inspection.

The tires do look like they have a year or two left on them. That is why I was hoping a tire place can just patch it up for now. Only problem is that the hole is on the sidewall of the tire and makes me wonder if the radial load on it will not allow a patch to be used effectively.

While I appreciate everyone that has commented so far, I would like input from a few more people before deciding on this car.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frog_Pudding View Post
    I'm hoping the AC only needs to be re-charged but I will find out after doing the inspection.

The tires do look like they have a year or two left on them. That is why I was hoping a tire place can just patch it up for now. Only problem is that the hole is on the sidewall of the tire and makes me wonder if the radial load on it will not allow a patch to be used effectively.
    the unfortunate truth about that is an A/C system never, NEVER, "just needs a recharge" under normal circumstances it should be full of freon, so if its not. then something caused the freon to escape what would otherwise be a sealed system. therefore if you buy a can and fill it up. whatever was leaking to begin with is still going to leak. (fyi those cans that claim to stop leaks dont really work so dont waste your money)

its also possible, albeit highly unlikely that its full of freon and something else is wrong. like a worn out compressor clutch or even a burnt out fuse. but i doubt it.

99% of the time with A/C, if its not working its got a leak and needs to be repaired to work like new. most shops recommend replacing all the major components when fixing an A/C system (evap core, compressor, condenser, hot and cold lines ususally) if a shop recommends this to you their not tryin to get one over on you. they just dont want to patch together an old system with 1 new part and have you come back complaining when your A/C doesn't work again in a month because some other old piece of the system went bad.

expect at least $1000 to have it done right

if you can get the price down it seems like a good deal on paper. but without being there to inspect if first hand i cant really say. GL man!
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 09-15-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    the unfortunate truth about that is an A/C system never, NEVER, "just needs a recharge" under normal circumstances it should be full of freon, so if its not. then something caused the freon to escape what would otherwise be a sealed system. therefore if you buy a can and fill it up. whatever was leaking to begin with is still going to leak. (fyi those cans that claim to stop leaks dont really work so dont waste your money)

its also possible, albeit highly unlikely that its full of freon and something else is wrong. like a worn out compressor clutch or even a burnt out fuse. but i doubt it.

99% of the time with A/C, if its not working its got a leak and needs to be repaired to work like new. most shops recommend replacing all the major components when fixing an A/C system (evap core, compressor, condenser, hot and cold lines ususally) if a shop recommends this to you their not tryin to get one over on you. they just dont want to patch together an old system with 1 new part and have you come back complaining when your A/C doesn't work again in a month because some other old piece of the system went bad.

expect at least $1000 to have it done right

if you can get the price down it seems like a good deal on paper. but without being there to inspect if first hand i cant really say. GL man!
    Thanks for the tip! I just figured that over time it has lost enough freon that the AC doesn't work well. I'm gonna have an inspection done on it next week and will know what is wrong with it for sure and will know what I will be getting myself into before buying it.

On a side note, does anyone else find it impossible to find a decent used WRX? All the ones that I have seen are either modded/molested or beat up. I can see why a lot of people just buy brand new ones instead of messing with used.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog_Pudding View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I just figured that over time it has lost enough freon that the AC doesn't work well. I'm gonna have an inspection done on it next week and will know what is wrong with it for sure and will know what I will be getting myself into before buying it.

On a side note, does anyone else find it impossible to find a decent used WRX? All the ones that I have seen are either modded/molested or beat up. I can see why a lot of people just buy brand new ones instead of messing with used.
    In my experience, the wagons on average are cleaner cars than the sedans. They are more likely to be owned by older more mature owners and are more likely to be stock. Hang in there, clean used WRXs are hard to find but they certainly are out there. Best not to be in a rush with a purchase of this magnitude anyway.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I have noticed that too and I personally prefer the sedan's look but the wagon would be more useful especially with the 2000 lb towing capacity! Not too long ago there was a 2005 wrx sedan for sale for $10, 000. It was adult driven and it was supper clean but somebody jumped on it after I saw the ad.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.