WRX STI For A Daily
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

This is a discussion on WRX STI For A Daily within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey everyone, I looked in the search box and I don't think I found a thread discussion an STI for ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    58

    WRX STI For A Daily

    Hey everyone, I looked in the search box and I don't think I found a thread discussion an STI for a daily.

    I am looking to pick up a car in a couple months and have narrowed it down (so far) to a 2011 Subaru WRX STI, or around an 07-08 C6.

    Budget is $25,000-30,000.

    I drive about 10,000 miles a year.

    What is everyone's thoughts on a WRX STI for a daily Reliability wise, and cost of maintaining. I'm a back yard mechanic, so I kinda prefer to change the oil and service stuff myself.

    Any opinions are appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User tesla317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    293
    Unless you just have the money to get the STI, id say go with the WRX...especially if it's a daily driver.

    You do get more with the STI, tranny, suspension, brakes...but I don't think you could see much benefit for your purpose. You can save a lot of money, which could upgrade the WRX. But by all means, if u can get it then why not. I would

  4. #3
    Registered User xcEXrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    86
    As someone who DDs an STi, I can tell you they work just fine as a DD. In my case, it works great as a dual purpose car. IMO, a much better DD than the C6 because of the versatility. C6 is a great car, better track car, just don't see it working well for most as a DD. At least if you live in a snowy region or need to carry stuff. Maintenance wise, its pretty basic. But since you're buying used, try to find a dealer maintained vehicle. Brakes are going to be more expensive.


    Its really about what you need the car to do. Will it be your only vehicle?

    Also, paint sucks, windshield will crack if you give it a mean look, interior will rattle, and the carpet is pretty cheap.....but still...I love mine
    Last edited by xcEXrdr; 09-02-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    Stink-eye Mob #17

    2013 WRX STi Sedan

  5. #4
    Registered User mcdbrendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    853
    Where are you located?

  6. #5
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,324
    You could get into a luxury brand for that price. Might make a more comfortable DD. Maintanence would be more costly though.

    The STi would be good for a DD if you also want a track car and go racing often. The WRX or STi are also fantastic winter/inclemate weather cars. I say if you're not going to use the car for the tack regularly, then get a WRX.

    Even so, If you want and can afford an STi by all means. You wouldn't be the only one DD an STi. Good luck with your search

  7. #6
    Registered User ker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    brooklyn Ny
    Posts
    129
    I'm going to go purchase a '14 sti as my DD this Friday first new car so I'm going all out

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by xcEXrdr View Post
    As someone who DDs an STi, I can tell you they work just fine as a DD. In my case, it works great as a dual purpose car. IMO, a much better DD than the C6 because of the versatility. C6 is a great car, better track car, just don't see it working well for most as a DD. At least if you live in a snowy region or need to carry stuff. Maintenance wise, its pretty basic. But since you're buying used, try to find a dealer maintained vehicle. Brakes are going to be more expensive.


    Its really about what you need the car to do. Will it be your only vehicle?

    Also, paint sucks, windshield will crack if you give it a mean look, interior will rattle, and the carpet is pretty cheap.....but still...I love mine
    Yea, its gonna be my ONLY car. Until I can afford to buy another motorcycle. Then I'll swap them out, but that will be a while. I'm just gonna use the car for commuting, to the gym, local errands. Dunno if I wanna take it to a track or not. I'm not transporting a family or anything, just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Where are you located?
    I'm in Texas. No snow here, just hot weather and some rain.


    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    You could get into a luxury brand for that price. Might make a more comfortable DD. Maintanence would be more costly though.

    The STi would be good for a DD if you also want a track car and go racing often. The WRX or STi are also fantastic winter/inclemate weather cars. I say if you're not going to use the car for the tack regularly, then get a WRX.

    Even so, If you want and can afford an STi by all means. You wouldn't be the only one DD an STi. Good luck with your search
    Thanks man ! .....Yea I don't wanna have to spend too much on maintenance. So that is something I want to keep in mind.

    I like the WRX also, I just like the STI more because it has some extra ponies and I love the body kit it has.

  9. #8
    Registered User xcEXrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    86
    Fwiw, I had an 09 wrx too. Power wise the wrx is really just as strong even though Subaru's numbers say otherwise. My stage one sti feels slightly stronger than my stage one 09.

    Also, 2011 wrx and sti have the same body other than the wing on the sedan.
    Stink-eye Mob #17

    2013 WRX STi Sedan

  10. #9
    Registered User xcEXrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    86
    Double post. Stupid phone...
    Last edited by xcEXrdr; 09-02-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Stink-eye Mob #17

    2013 WRX STi Sedan

  11. #10
    Registered User 99pgpgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    251
    Get an ls3 c6. Good gas mileage. Plenty of power and handling. Make sure you get a targa top.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    58
    I have a noob question. If I get a WRX, it has around 275-285 hp right ? How hard is it to get the hp up to the STI hp, 305 if I remember right ?

    Its the same motor isn't it ? Do they get the hp from computer tuning only ? Or is there an upgraded turbo ?

  13. #12
    Registered User tesla317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    293
    Should be 265 stock. Stage 1 should get you around 300, no to the wheels of course. Then a turbo back exhaust and stage 2 would be quicker. And you still invest less money than the sti

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Should be 265 stock. Stage 1 should get you around 300, no to the wheels of course. Then a turbo back exhaust and stage 2 would be quicker. And you still invest less money than the sti
    Thanks man. I'm sorry for sounding like such a newb, but where can I read up on the Stage 1 and Stage 2 at ? I went to the search box but didn't find anything specifically for the Stages. I read another thread that was helpful. The " wanting 300 " hp thread.

    I read a couple other threads also, I didn't know how important tuning was on these cars. If I get one I will definitely choose the mods carefully. I like the thread that mentioned which mods not to do.

  15. #14
    Registered User tesla317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag11 View Post
    Thanks man. I'm sorry for sounding like such a newb, but where can I read up on the Stage 1 and Stage 2 at ? I went to the search box but didn't find anything specifically for the Stages. I read another thread that was helpful. The " wanting 300 " hp thread.

    I read a couple other threads also, I didn't know how important tuning was on these cars. If I get one I will definitely choose the mods carefully. I like the thread that mentioned which mods not to do.
    Yes be careful about the mods. Pretty much the only mod that doesn't need a tune is a catback exhaust. The first day I got my 2010 wrx I put a K&N intake, well less than a week later it was off when I started doing my research.

    Im at stage 1 right now. Ive had some issues with knocks...not sure if it's false...with the Cobb map. But it's definitely smoother and has better pull. It wasn't till I went back to the stock map that I realized how much of a difference stage 1 really was.

    Here is an example of some map notes for a 2013 wrx. It shows the different maps and the dyno graphs with the gains obtained from stages 1 & 2 over stock. Gains will vary I would assume lol.


    http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Acc...3-Stock-Intake

    Just click on the "map notes" and it that should answer some questions. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by tesla317; 09-02-2013 at 08:25 PM.

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    58
    Thanks for all your help man!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •