WRX STI For A Daily - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX STI For A Daily within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by zax Good options. Definitely. I will be replacing my car very soon (after a great 7 years ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Good options. Definitely. I will be replacing my car very soon (after a great 7 years of ownership!) and I'm starting to really consider the FRS/BRZ. I have considered the new V6 Genesis Coupe in the past. However, it will likely come down to a 2014 Evo X as it always does...

However, my commute is only 2 miles, so comfort isn't on my shortlist

If I were to consider another Subaru, I would suggest a WRX over an STI for daily driving. If the Ralliart were available in MT, it would be on the top of my short list.
    If you haven't test drove the FRS yet, GO NOW ! Its so fun to drive, it hugs the corners. And the height of the shifter in relation to the steering wheel is great for gear changes on the under full throttle or coming into a corner. You don't have to reach far, your hand is right there.

I know , everyone is probably asking, how come you don't get that one ? Great question! here is my rebuttal.

1. The FRS is reaaaally small.... and I am reaaally not small.

2. I'm not trying to be rude about Scion, but..... its pretty slow. 2.0 makes around 170 hp I think ? Straight line its not fast.

I was thinking about the WRX over the STI after reading a bunch on the forum. I'll explain why I want to do the STI.

I read you can get the WRX faster than the STI by stage 2 with Cobb Tuning. BUT here's the thing. In about 4 years or so, what if I wanna trade the car in on something else.

I've been following the market for a while, and it seems like the STI's don't depreciate as much as the WRX. So with that in mind, I'm thinking that the STI will be a smart investment down the road. What do you think ? Depreciation and resale wise.

Plus, I like the STI because it has the 6 speed transmission already, and is fast out of the box. I don't have to order the tuner and start working on a brand new car. Not that I don't wanna mod it or anything. That was just my opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The FR-S/BRZ is a great car. Very well balanced, and you should get great mpg with it. About the speed thing, many of the Subaru guys were very offended to see it didn't come turbocharged from the factory, but it was a joint effort between Toyota and Subaru so you get a little of both worlds. Subaru engineering with a few touches from Toyota, the fuel injection system being one of the most notable. Definitely a more "no-frills" type car, which is why I like it. In a sea of "gps navigation, heated seats, power everything", the BRZ stands apart. They focused on the driver experience first, and all that other stuff was just an afterthought.

But yeah, like you mentioned, its slow, but there are already tons of aftermarket boost kits popping up, and the car would be loads of fun boosted. There is plenty of room under there, although the car already runs a very high compression ratio. I even saw a youtube vid where a guy had swapped an LS1 in, but that would kind of ruin the whole balance thing they have going. Just something to consider.

EDIT: Oh and I am pretty sure you could pick a new FRS up and have it setup right with a boost kit that will offer decent reliability, and still be under the STI price tag.
    Last edited by Jbeckforever; 10-03-2013 at 04:48 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    Subaru engineering with a few touches from Toyota, the fuel injection system being one of the most notable
    I would prefer "Toyota engineered with a few touches from Subaru"

I have driven an FRS numerous times. Sadly, I've not been able to thrash the car
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I would prefer "Toyota engineered with a few touches from Subaru"

I have driven an FRS numerous times. Sadly, I've not been able to thrash the car
    Haha, I know what you mean. Toyota did most of the design stuff from what I've heard. It definitely looks nothing like a Subaru. I've never driven one, but I like the idea of the platform. RWD, low center of gravity, light, simple, etc.

Pretty much what everyone else said. However the fact you even dared to mention STI means you should JUST purchase one. Or you wouldnt be asking us. Right? lol

Either or you wont go wrong. The price is the largest difference ANYONE see's first. Or the large wing

The FR-S/BRZ is a great car. Very well balanced, and you should get great mpg with it. About the speed thing, many of the Subaru guys were very offended to see it didn't come turbocharged from the factory, but it was a joint effort between Toyota and Subaru so you get a little of both worlds. Subaru engineering with a few touches from Toyota, the fuel injection system being one of the most notable. Definitely a more "no-frills" type car, which is why I like it. In a sea of "gps navigation, heated seats, power everything", the BRZ stands apart. They focused on the driver experience first, and all that other stuff was just an afterthought.

But yeah, like you mentioned, its slow, but there are already tons of aftermarket boost kits popping up, and the car would be loads of fun boosted. There is plenty of room under there, although the car already runs a very high compression ratio. I even saw a youtube vid where a guy had swapped an LS1 in, but that would kind of ruin the whole balance thing they have going. Just something to consider.

EDIT: Oh and I am pretty sure you could pick a new FRS up and have it setup right with a boost kit that will offer decent reliability, and still be under the STI price tag.
    I think I looked up a turbo kit for the FRS, and I think it was just under 3k ? I'll look and report back.

Definitely need to drive and FRS, they are a blast.

Zax I like the Evos also, but the 03-05 models. the 8's I think. I got to drive one back in 03 and it was so much fun.

I looked at a 10 model, but man they are expensive. I think the price tag was 35k.

EDIT: I was way off on the turbo pricing. They start at 3k

link to turbo kits: http://www.frsmod.com/products/dp3e-...r-s-subaru-brz

Will Scion install a turbocharger from the factory when you buy the car ?
    Last edited by Turbolag11; 10-03-2013 at 05:46 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag11 View Post
    Zax I like the Evos also, but the 03-05 models. the 8's I think. I got to drive one back in 03 and it was so much fun.

I looked at a 10 model, but man they are expensive. I think the price tag was 35k.
    I would love to own an Evo VIII, but not used and certainly not as a DD. The car is a blast to drive, but the 4G63 is terribly unreliable and most owners do not properly maintain their cars.

I admit that the Evo X GSR is pricey. MSRP for the GSR is $35k and most are sold at very little under invoice ($33k at best). Furthermore, for the price, the interior is awful... I mean just awful. Abysmal. Downright inappropriate. Yet, here's the catch: used Evo Xs fetch quite a premium. Xs with 20k miles are going for $30-32k. I'd like to own an Evo in my life and since I won't spend the ludicrous price on a IX (yes, they are still going for $25k+), I will purchase a X. If I don't like the car, I will sell and buy something different with little loss out of pocket.

The X corners impressively. The car corners like a balanced RWD car, despite the 3500lb curb weight and AWD. It's truly impressive what Mitsu has done with the car, even compared to the hallowed IX.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I would love to own an Evo VIII, but not used and certainly not as a DD. The car is a blast to drive, but the 4G63 is terribly unreliable and most owners do not properly maintain their cars.

I admit that the Evo X GSR is pricey. MSRP for the GSR is $35k and most are sold at very little under invoice ($33k at best). Furthermore, for the price, the interior is awful... I mean just awful. Abysmal. Downright inappropriate. Yet, here's the catch: used Evo Xs fetch quite a premium. Xs with 20k miles are going for $30-32k. I'd like to own an Evo in my life and since I won't spend the ludicrous price on a IX (yes, they are still going for $25k+), I will purchase a X. If I don't like the car, I will sell and buy something different with little loss out of pocket.

The X corners impressively. The car corners like a balanced RWD car, despite the 3500lb curb weight and AWD. It's truly impressive what Mitsu has done with the car, even compared to the hallowed IX.
    Yea it was just more than I wanted to spend for a car that wasn't new, unless it was an exotic. I love the Evos and would love to own one in the future. an 03-04 was on my list of possible cars, but after reading that motor is not reliable, I'm glad I decided against it. I still want one, but I want to have plenty of money aside for any suprises.

If you have some money to put aside, I say go for it !

Hey Turbolag, did you ever test drive the new Focus ST? They're supposed to be pretty potent little things, and get some nice mpg numbers to boot. Also, the Mazdaspeed3 was found to be superior to the WRX in a number of ways. They're supposed to be pretty fun little boost-buggies as well, maybe like a middle ground between the WRX and the STI. Just some more options to consider.

Hey Turbolag, did you ever test drive the new Focus ST? They're supposed to be pretty potent little things, and get some nice mpg numbers to boot. Also, the Mazdaspeed3 was found to be superior to the WRX in a number of ways. They're supposed to be pretty fun little boost-buggies as well, maybe like a middle ground between the WRX and the STI. Just some more options to consider.
    I have not. I might get a chance to go take a look at it next week. I'm not a huge hatchback fan except for the Honda civic EK Hatch and the VW GTI or R32.

I've been doing a ton of thinking lately. Trying to consider all the possible options.

And I'm pretty confident I'm going to be happy with the Subaru. I'm waiting on the salesman at the Subaru Dealer to call me back. I'm about to order my car.

There are no big changes from what I understand for 2014, so for $200 more I can get a 14.

I'm gonna go ahead and order the STI Sedan. The reason is I want the transmission quality that comes with it, and its pretty quick right off the lot. And I'm pretty sure the STI will hold its resale pretty well. That's what I've noticed when I see them for sale. The STI's don't seem to depreciate much.

The options I am gonna select are:

1. The side body molding

2. I'm trying to get two 10 inch sub woofers. The factory option says 1, 10 inch sub woofer, but I thought it would be sweet to have two. I'm waiting on him to call me back to see if they can do that.

Then I'm gonna try to order it.

I'm gonna get a black one. I considered white and blue really closely, but I love the black and I'm pretty sure that's the color I wanna order. I do love the blue and white though. Still have some time to change my mind on the color though.

Here it is .... Finally picked it up ! I love it. What a blast to drive.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag11 View Post
    Here it is .... Finally picked it up ! I love it. What a blast to drive.

Congrats! I also have a black STi sedan

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Congrats! I also have a black STi sedan
    Nice man !

How do you like it so far ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123