WRX STI For A Daily - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX STI For A Daily within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by Turbolag11 I'm in Texas. No snow here, just hot weather and some rain. I love both cars, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag11 View Post
    I'm in Texas. No snow here, just hot weather and some rain.
    I love both cars, but if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the C6.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So here's where I'm at now.

I test drove a C6 and an STI, and a Viper RT/10.

I have to say, my favorite one to drive is the STI and the VIper. Not just saying that because I'm on a Subaru forum.

The C6 just isn't exciting to look at. Its not a bad driver, its VERY practical. Would make a great daily. But its TOO practical for me.

The Viper and STI are about the same in the fun to drive category. I love both cars. At this point I'm thinking of getting the STI because it will have a warranty and .... it will have a warranty.

I had a blast driving it. I just went around the block with it. Shifts great, short throws. I drove it in the rain so it was a great way to test drive it !

I took a U turn corner at about 20-25mph and didnt slide or lose traction or anything. Loved the car.

I'm still not 100% sure which to get. I also looked at a Porsche 911 Carrera S, but maintenance and the cost of tires are pushing me away from it. The Viper is expensive on tires also. Both cars are about 2k for full sets.

The Subaru and the Viper are about the same in the speed department. The Viper has more torque to pull in higher gears. You can open the throttle in 4th gear at about 35-40 mph and it takes off.

I wish I had more money, I would get both cars !

But, I have to make a decision. So far, its the STI, 94-95 Viper RT/10, or MAYBE a Porsche 911.

Hoping to make up my mind soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know how those three cars could even be mentioned in the same sentence!!!

Honestly though, as a daily driver, I have found the STi to be great. Not sure i would want to DD a viper. The Porsche 911 I am sure would be a great car too, but depends on the model/year/maintenance/etc. What year STi are you looking at?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Good to see an STi mentioned in a comparison with supercars i guess. Good job Subaru! lol

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    What year STi are you looking at?
    2013, or 2014. I test drove a new one, and for the price I can order a new one how I want it.

I want a base model, with the door molding, 10 inch sub, and maybe a boost gauge ? In black, or blue.

I know the comparison is a little strange. Here's why. I started out with the comparisons, of the STI, and Mustang, and Corvette.

Then we were in Houston a couple weeks ago, and I saw a Viper for sale on Craigslist. Then I found a Porsche. Went to see the Viper, wanted to sleep in the car after that. Haven't looked at the Porsche yet.

So I started my search off being somewhat practical, but then I looked at two dream cars and you know how that goes .....

So I'm thinking the STI is the best move. Warranty, brand new, no miles. Hopefully isn't expensive to operate and maintain.

That's what is stopping me from getting the Viper, or the Porsche. What ever car I end up with will probably be 80% of my daily driver, and I don't want to spend in repairs and maintenance what I paid for the car.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You're talking about all these sports cars as a daily driver. Makes me very curious as to what is your weekend car? Care to spill the beans?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You're talking about all these sports cars as a daily driver. Makes me very curious as to what is your weekend car? Care to spill the beans?
    Right now my current vehicles are ....... you ready? ....... let the suspense build a little more........ 1. 95 2500 Dodge Cummins Diesels with some light mods.

2. 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 .... This is my current everyday transportation. I enjoy commuting on two wheels.

I'm selling the bike so I can get my next car. So I will have whatever car I end up with and the truck.

Here is my bike. I'm not a practical person when it comes to transportation. I like to have stuff that is fun and impractical and different. I love commuting on a bike. I can say this, if you commute on a bike for a while, you start to appreciate more amenities like AIR CONDITIONING haha, a roof ! (for rain), not wearing 8 pounds of gear.

So my outlook on cars and bikes is, if I like it and can afford it, I really want to use it a lot. That's just me though. I'm not into all the luxury stuff like heated seats, or adjustable pedals, etc. I like basic plain stuff that is made to go fast.

zax
    Honestly, in that case I'd buy something reliable and good for DD duty... Ford Focus ST would be my recommendation, or a Toyota Corolla if reliability is the concern.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want the STi, I can tell you that it is a great daily driver. The suspension is a little rough, but you get used to it (I live in pothole infested Maine and it doesn't really bother me). Chances are your roads are a little smoother (and straighter? Which is maybe why you are looking at RWD cars as well), so it would probably be even less noticeable. As far as reliable. The STi will be plenty reliable assuming you don't mod the crap out of it.

As Zax mentions, if reliable and low maintenance are of up most concern, then the Ford ST focus, or Corollas probably would be a better buy, but I have a hunch those cars won't interest you.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Honestly, in that case I'd buy something reliable and good for DD duty... Ford Focus ST would be my recommendation, or a Toyota Corolla if reliability is the concern.
    Thanks man, I was browsing through the forum and saw a thread that had a link comparing the WRX, Focus and Mazda.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    If you want the STi, I can tell you that it is a great daily driver. The suspension is a little rough, but you get used to it (I live in pothole infested Maine and it doesn't really bother me). Chances are your roads are a little smoother (and straighter? Which is maybe why you are looking at RWD cars as well), so it would probably be even less noticeable. As far as reliable. The STi will be plenty reliable assuming you don't mod the crap out of it.

As Zax mentions, if reliable and low maintenance are of up most concern, then the Ford ST focus, or Corollas probably would be a better buy, but I have a hunch those cars won't interest you.
    Haha, thanks STI. I saw the Focus earlier today and its not bad.

There was a neon green Ford Focus I loved when I saw it. It was on Top Gear in the UK a couple years ago. It was a two door hatch and I really liked it. But I never saw any in the U.S.

I'll check them out closer just to be sure though. You never know.

The WRX has a beautiful shape. I love to look at them. I've wanted one since I was in high school. I remember when the 03s came out. I loved them, but we just weren't able to get one then.

zax
    Ah yes, the Ford Focus RS. We didn't get that monster stateside.... yet

With the level of enjoyment the ST provides, I can only imagine driving the RS

Facebook me here

that's it !

I fell in love with that as soon as I saw it!

Thanks for sharing the photo.
    Last edited by Turbolag11; 10-03-2013 at 02:40 PM.

I wanted to make a list of cars I've looked at:

1. STI

2. Scion FRS , I love this one, its so fun to drive.

3. Hyundai Genesis , this one is great too, I got to drive the V6 and its pretty quick

And the other ones I listed, but those are the practical ones. All new.

zax
    Good options. Definitely. I will be replacing my car very soon (after a great 7 years of ownership!) and I'm starting to really consider the FRS/BRZ. I have considered the new V6 Genesis Coupe in the past. However, it will likely come down to a 2014 Evo X as it always does...

However, my commute is only 2 miles, so comfort isn't on my shortlist

If I were to consider another Subaru, I would suggest a WRX over an STI for daily driving. If the Ralliart were available in MT, it would be on the top of my short list.

Facebook me here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast