your thoughts on trading in a WRX for STi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on your thoughts on trading in a WRX for STi within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I purchased a 2013 WRX last December (2012) and have had it for about 8 solid months now and really ...

your thoughts on trading in a WRX for STi

I purchased a 2013 WRX last December (2012) and have had it for about 8 solid months now and really have a desire to trade-in for an STI. I thought I was making the more financially-conscious decision sticking with the WRX, but the STI is a car I have wanted for as long as I could remember and I cannot get it out of my head. Everyday I drive, I enjoy my car thoroughly, but it leaves me wanting just a little bit more. Granted I should have just purchased one in the first place instead of now dealing with the depreciated value on my WRX, but you live and you learn I guess. Anyone here buy a WRX and find yourself wanting more only to trade in for a STI a few months/year later?

I can afford it financially; I could pay off my current car (and STI) if I wanted but I chose to finance a small portion as a means to build credit since I had absolutely zero credit prior to buying my first car. One of my gripes (and I guess I see where they're coming from) is my parents think it is a stupid move since I just got the car less than a year ago and I'd just be losing money in the end. They also feel as it is just pointless in general and don't see anything in a car aside from it being something to take you from point a to b. I feel like I'm caught between trying to think rationally about it as well as how much I've wanted this car and feel like I've worked hard for a very long time to get to a point where I could afford it. I talked with my dealer and the almost final numbers (if I were to go through with it) would come down to: getting 23.7 - 24k for my 2013 WRX 5-door premium trade in (originally about 29k before taxes), for a 2014 STI 5-door for invoice at about 35.5k. I take somewhat of a loss on my trade-in but I figure if they can give me invoice on a STI hatch seems like I make up for some losses; if successful I'd like to get the STI down to maybe 35k even. I'm curious to hear what others think of this deal.

I'd like to get a little feedback because I feel like I'm right there but I'm trying to make a reasonable decision. I have been working full-time out of school for a year now, and I know I should start saving money for a house and other things, which I of course still am. I guess I'd just like to bounce some ideas off people or anyone who has been in a similar situation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    but it leaves me wanting just a little bit more.
    How so?

I certainly wouldn't.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Everyday I drive, I enjoy my car thoroughly, but it leaves me wanting just a little bit more
    downpipe + tune + suspension upgrades = probably a happy camper & a much better decision than trading a practically brand new car for a much more expensive one

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

First off, is your urge to buy an STi based purely on the fact that it's an STi? or is there a performance factor that the WRX is not meeting for you're intended use? I struggled with the same dilemma originally, but I'm glad I chose the WRX in the end as I have no need for most of the upgraded features of the STi.

Personally, I would rather upgrade the features I feel I'm missing out on.. which also gives my car that unique touch, instead of having an off the shelf upgraded design that I would inevitably end up modifying anyways.

I've thought about extensively modifiying the WRX with downpipe, tune (already have an accessport so I'm rocking a stage 1 tune), suspension upgrades, etc. Though it would be a little cheaper to modify my current car, I just feel like the STi is a more refined car and to me seems as a more solid "base" for lack of a better word. I would still want to modify the STI eventually but not until a ways down the road, but I feel as if I'd be more content with the STI and a stage 1 tune since I already own the accessport.

I Support ClubWRX
    As Dez pointed out, some modest modifications may recreate the spark that made you love the car in the first place.

Whenever someone talks about the newer WRX/STI debate, I say the following:
    The WRX is a street vehicle that can be driven on the track
    The STI is a track vehicle that can be driven on the street

Beyond that, it's really up to you on what you want to do...

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc
    I've thought about extensively modifiying the WRX with downpipe, tune (already have an accessport so I'm rocking a stage 1 tune), suspension upgrades, etc. Though it would be a little cheaper to modify my current car, I just feel like the STi is a more refined car and to me seems as a more solid "base" for lack of a better word. I would still want to modify the STI eventually but not until a ways down the road, but I feel as if I'd be more content with the STI and a stage 1 tune since I already own the accessport.
    The STI is nowhere close to a "more refined car". The new WRXs are no joke; I like what I've seen out of them with maps I've made for them.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    downpipe + tune + suspension upgrades = probably a happy camper & a much better decision than trading a practically brand new car for a much more expensive one
    +1 This is good advice. Heed it, or may a squadron of rabid pterodactyls find their way to your crotch.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The STI is nowhere close to a "more refined car". The new WRXs are no joke; I like what I've seen out of them with maps I've made for them.
    Not that I romp on my transmission at all, but would you say the 6MT of the STI is more solid than the WRX's? I just feel like I'd grenade my transmission if I threw an extensive amount of modifications at a WRX where I'd be putting out a lot more power. Have there been any cases where people put a good amount of work into a car only to see certain parts needing replacement because of wear from a more superior part? I'm not sure if I'm phrasing that correctly or not; the analogy I'm kind of trying to make is like replacing springs without replacing struts.

I'm just trying to playing devil's advocate here for the sake of discussion, but why do people bother buying STI's at all then. Just seems like everyone is reasoning against. And trust me I do understand the more financially smart decision would be to just keep my current car.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not that I romp on my transmission at all, but would you say the 6MT of the STI is more solid than the WRX's? I just feel like I'd grenade my transmission if I threw an extensive amount of modifications at a WRX where I'd be putting out a lot more power. Have there been any cases where people put a good amount of work into a car only to see certain parts needing replacement because of wear from a more superior part? I'm not sure if I'm phrasing that correctly or not; the analogy I'm kind of trying to make is like replacing springs without replacing struts.
    The more recent 5spds are leaps and bounds ahead of the 02-03 "glass box" transmissions. Regardless, the 6spd IS stronger than the 5spd but unless you're constantly launching or plan to track your car very regularly, it's going to come down to how you drive. As long as you aren't dumping the clutch you'll be OK. It doesn't matter if you're going to mod a WRX or an STI, do it once, do it right.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

[QUOTE=olenderc;3040806]Not that I romp on my transmission at all, but would you say the 6MT of the STI is more solid than the WRX's? I just feel like I'd grenade my transmission if I threw an extensive amount of modifications at a WRX where I'd be putting out a lot more power. Have there been any cases where people put a good amount of work into a car only to see certain parts needing replacement because of wear from a more superior part? I'm not sure if I'm phrasing that correctly or not; the analogy I'm kind of trying to make is like replacing springs without replacing struts.[/QUOTE

Your taking a pretty big hit on depreciation because of short term ownership IMO. Why not play a little more with the WRX (as suggested), and then see what offerings are in the wind for lets say 2015 ??? Little bit of time, but better trade in equity ..at least I would hope ... lol.. bottomline it's always going to be your decision. Be happy.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I get where you are coming from.

My thinking would be that you should do what will make you the happiest. I personally love the way a 6 speed drives and as is often said around here, it will take more money to make your WRX into an STI than to swap.

Would I do it? Hard to say. But you aren't really talking about a logical decision here. The most logical, economical choice really would be to trade in your WRX on a base Impreza. Cheaper, better gas mileage, cheaper insurance... you're already paying a premium to have a fun car -- if you aren't having as much fun as you want, then why not get what will make you happiest?

Personally, the premium you'll pay for the new STi isn't necessarily worth it. The Rex has too much potential with just a little money to make it every bit as good, if not better, than a WR. Definitely less than the 10k premium the STi commands over the WRX.

And FYI, maybe it's just me, but for a '13 limited, $23.5k is a joke of a trade in. That dealer will turn around and sell it pre-owned not much less than you paid brand new. I see it around here all the time.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    Personally, the premium you'll pay for the new STi isn't necessarily worth it. The Rex has too much potential with just a little money to make it every bit as good, if not better, than a WR. Definitely less than the 10k premium the STi commands over the WRX.

And FYI, maybe it's just me, but for a '13 limited, $23.5k is a joke of a trade in. That dealer will turn around and sell it pre-owned not much less than you paid brand new. I see it around here all the time.
    It was only a premium not a limited, I understand what you're saying thought if it were a limited though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc
    Go with a custom S2 tune. The transmission should be no issue if you're not an idiot. If you still aren't content, look at a car that doesn't have a Subaru badge.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast