your thoughts on trading in a WRX for STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on your thoughts on trading in a WRX for STi within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by EJ257 If you still aren't content, look at a car that doesn't have a Subaru badge. What ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you still aren't content, look at a car that doesn't have a Subaru badge.
    What do you mean by this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    He means that Subarus aren't economically smart cars for anything past stage 2. And that's the truth. An EJ series motor is basically a money pit if you want to make any sort of decent power. If you want 350+whp out of a car, get an Evo over an STI.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I bet your wrx hasn't depreciated at much as you think. I just sold my 2013 wrx BASE with 8k miles on it. ive owned it since January. I went to carmax just to see what it was worth and to my surprise they printed me out a buy it now quote of $24,000

I think I paid something like $24,500 before taxes when it i bought it new. I was expecting around 20-21k of an offer from carmax so I was quite surprised. You might be too if you do some checking around
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    I bet your wrx hasn't depreciated at much as you think. I just sold my 2013 wrx BASE with 8k miles on it. ive owned it since January. I went to carmax just to see what it was worth and to my surprise they printed me out a buy it now quote of $24,000

I think I paid something like $24,500 before taxes when it i bought it new. I was expecting around 20-21k of an offer from carmax so I was quite surprised. You might be too if you do some checking around
    OP stated that he could get 23-24K for his REX, but he paid 29K before taxes. 5K hit. However, also indicated he could he could take the hit. Think folks are encouraging him to explore the WRX with a few mods to quench his thirst. But maybe the grass is greener on the STI side ????
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

WRX tuned or modified or some **** will never be an STI.

Even if the WRX is tuned to be faster or **** like that, its still not an STI.

Get an STI.
    15 year old

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing

Get an STI.
    Get your drivers license...

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc
    If a good S2 flash doesn't make you fall in love with your car all over again, you need to be looking at vehicles that don't have a Subaru emblem.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

OP, ultimately it is your choice! . I ditched my 2011 limited after barely a year as well. I now have a 2012 Black hatch STI and I love it so much! I wrote a similar thread to this one, and had similar responses. Ultimately, I wanted the STI all my life and nothing different would work. Now I KNOW my car is going to be with me for a long time so I free to sink money into it now.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing

Get an STI.

Anyways Op, I went through 2 different 2011 wrx's. a sedan and a limited hatch that had done stg 2 e85 and some suspension work but then just said screw it and got a 13 sti. Needless to say I'm much more happy with the sti. I like the alcantara, brakes, 6spd, especially the differentials a lot better. Does the extra cost justify it for my use? Probably not but its about what you want and can afford. If you can afford it than go for it. You won't regret it. My 13 sti hatch is stg 2 and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Anyways Op, I went through 2 different 2011 wrx's. a sedan and a limited hatch that had done stg 2 e85 and some suspension work but then just said screw it and got a 13 sti. Needless to say I'm much more happy with the sti. I like the alcantara, brakes, 6spd, especially the differentials a lot better. Does the extra cost justify it for my use? Probably not but its about what you want and can afford. If you can afford it than go for it. You won't regret it. My 13 sti hatch is stg 2 and I love it.
    Was it a large, noticeable difference to stage 1 and then stage 2? I just bought an AP and now I may be upping my power sooner than I originally planned. That is another plus. Stage two on STI will always be faster.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Keep this thread on track. No name calling/personal attacks.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Have you driven a STI?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    OP stated that he could get 23-24K for his REX, but he paid 29K before taxes. 5K hit. However, also indicated he could he could take the hit. Think folks are encouraging him to explore the WRX with a few mods to quench his thirst. But maybe the grass is greener on the STI side ????
    I know this, I think the OP got lowballed. Which is why I told him to do some checking around. The dealer thinks they have him by the balls cause he is back 6 months later for a more expensive version of the same impreza. So he should check around other places and see what they will give him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetKing View Post

Get an STI.
    Tell that to this guy xluben on nasioc. You can find his videos on YouTube if your curious.......

If a good S2 flash doesn't make you fall in love with your car all over again, you need to be looking at vehicles that don't have a Subaru emblem.
    This is the truth, I went stage 2 at about 3k miles on my '13 wrx and just knew I wouldn't be happy with the power potential of the Suby. Stage 2 was fun, but when i barely, i mean barely was slightly pulling on my buddies stock bmw 135i from a little roll on we did i knew i was over it

Even with the extra 20 odd hp a real protune may have netted I just knew it would never be enough. And as others have stated beyond stage 2 the ej isn't the most cost effective engine to get power out of. Bundle that with a questionable tranny I was nervous to shift to fast or hard, open diffs that already had a hard time putting stage 2 power down in the corners, and I got out when I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Have you driven a STI?
    This is also huge, think about it, it's a $35-40,000 5 year old design IMPREZA, ya it's an sti but at its core its still a highly upgraded impreza. I drove both before I bought mine, I personally didn't see an extra $12,000 of value between my wrx base and an sti. Honestly from behind the wheel the only difference I saw was the sti badge on the dash, the dccd I didn't touch, and a tranny that actually felt decent and had enough forward gears to be considered sufficiently "modern" it was equally as quick feeling, the interior is exactly the same, the lack of options is still there. It's the same basic car with a few factory upgrades.

If your plan is track, then the sti is worth it for the better gear ratios, dccd, limited slip diffs, and brembos

If you're gonna dd it. Then stick with the wrx, or if your unhappy with the cost to hp ratio after stage 2. Then sell it like i did and wait for what you want to come out in April 2014 like I am lol.
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 08-31-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Have you considered a private sale of your wrx, and finding a used sti? You'll still take a hit, but it won't be as big.

As far as my thoughts on switching from a wrx to an sti, I'd say get some seat-time in an sti and go from there.

[QUOTE=EndlessSea;3040925]I know this, I think the OP got lowballed. Which is why I told him to do some checking around. The dealer thinks they have him by the balls cause he is back 6 months later for a more expensive version of the same impreza. So he should check around other places and see what they will give him for it.

Yep your right. I was thinking he had a BASE. He is getting low balled. Gotta get off these 5:30 am shifts....lol.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast