Failed emissions on carfax?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Failed emissions on carfax? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey guys. Looking at a slightly used 2013 WRX Limited (17,000 miles). Saw on the carfax where it said it ...

Failed emissions on carfax?

Hey guys. Looking at a slightly used 2013 WRX Limited (17,000 miles). Saw on the carfax where it said it failed emissions inspection but then passed it on that same day only 2 miles on the car later.

Any ideas what this is? other than that the car looks super clean.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Might have popped a CEL or failed a visual inspection. Are u sure its stock?

Probably failed, guy went home put it back to stock, then it passed. Happens all the time. Be wary of buying any used car that's known to be driven by 20 something year olds and are generally heavily modded and beaten. Just cause its stock now doesn't mean it always was.

Case in point, my 2013 was stage 2. Now it's stock. You'd never know if I didn't tell you because I'm anal and put every stock bolt and shield back in place just like factory. I even bought a new dash cover so when I removed my boost gauge there were no holes drilled in it.

Not saying that's the case with the one your looking at but just something to keep in mind when buying a car like this.

[Edit]:Just so you know, a factory 100% stock 2013 car WILL NOT FAIL emissions. If it failed. Then it was modded

And what state do you live in that they test brand new cars? Even in nazi California I think it's a few years before. New car needs to be resmogged.....
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 08-22-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    Probably failed, guy went home put it back to stock, then it passed. Happens all the time. Be wary of buying any used car that's known to be driven by 20 something year olds and are generally heavily modded and beaten. Just cause its stock now doesn't mean it always was.

Case in point, my 2013 was stage 2. Now it's stock. You'd never know if I didn't tell you because I'm anal and put every stock bolt and shield back in place just like factory. I even bought a new dash cover so when I removed my boost gauge there were no holes drilled in it.

Not saying that's the case with the one your looking at but just something to keep in mind when buying a car like this.

[Edit]:Just so you know, a factory 100% stock 2013 car WILL NOT FAIL emissions. If it failed. Then it was modded

And what state do you live in that they test brand new cars? Even in nazi California I think it's a few years before. New car needs to be resmogged.....
    In CA new cars don't get smog check until 5 years later. After that it's every 2 years.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    We don't have emissions testing in FL so correct me if I'm wrong, but a CEL can cause you to fail right?

Lets say a day before he fills up his gas tank... Doesn't tighten the cap... Now he has a CEL. Is the car modded? No. Is it going to pass? No.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    In CA new cars don't get smog check until 5 years later. After that it's every 2 years.
    In CA new cars are smogged at any time during title transfers not between first degree relatives and not between the descendants of natives in some counties; during such transfers and/or every two years after the first five in others. Check your local county.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Could it be a city thing to require emissions inspections? I live in Texas but not in the city where the car is located (also in Texas). I know they do car inspections in Texas but not sure if emissions is part of it (I recently moved here). It looks as if it was inspected after it was traded in to the dealer. Do dealers do an emissions test normally? Maybe I should ask them about it.

Here are the links to the carfax and car. Basically is there no way of knowing if it was modded?

Used 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX For Sale | Denton TX
    CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2013 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX

Needs moar photos. If it failed due to modding, that is likely from an aftermarket downpipe. If you can get a pic of the engine bay taken from the passenger side and looking at the back of the engine, we may be able to determine if it had been modded. That might be difficult, understandably, so what we would be looking for is whether the stock heatshield exists, looks like stock, and with closer inspection to see if the bolts for the downpipe look to have been recently messed with.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

the 13's are also getting CEL for something that dealers cant figure out. anywhere from loose throttle body hose to a bad splice in a wire harness and theyre getting evap codes

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes that's such an odd story. Early bugeye cars would get phantom codes but they released a reflash and it seemed to fix the issues. Now different weird issues.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Rather delete my post.

Can I get a little more help guys? I am trying to decide if this car is worth driving 5 hours tomorrow for. He has made me a good offer on the price with my trade in.

I talked to him about the failed emissions and he said it was because the battery had been disconnected and they needed to drive it a bit before the monitor reset? This sound legitimate?

Also here are some engine pics:
    http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5308OsKWQ&i=11585872
    http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5308OsKWQ&i=11585873
    http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5308OsKWQ&i=11585874
    http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5308OsKWQ&i=11585875
    http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5308OsKWQ&i=11585876
    http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5308OsKWQ&i=11585877

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Coletrain12 View Post
    I talked to him about the failed emissions and he said it was because the battery had been disconnected and they needed to drive it a bit before the monitor reset? This sound legitimate?
    A disconnected battery would cause sensors to not show "ready" state, therefore failing emissions.

I got a lame excuse for taking in an old truck once.... guy said gas cap was not closing properly... charged me $30 for a new gas cap! It was either that or fail.... they gotta make money somehow I guess.

He said it wasn't modded and I don't really think it was.

I wasn't sure about the battery thing because I have never really dealt with it. Thanks for clarifying. I think I may go take a look at it tomorrow and see how it drives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast