Failed emissions on carfax? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Failed emissions on carfax? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; It'll be hard to just test drive without seeing value feedback. Even if your boosting you won't know for sure ...

It'll be hard to just test drive without seeing value feedback. Even if your boosting you won't know for sure if there happens to be leaks... It's more than what the physical drive is

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    It'll be hard to just test drive without seeing value feedback. Even if your boosting you won't know for sure if there happens to be leaks... It's more than what the physical drive is
    ? You have confused me lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    I got a lame excuse for taking in an old truck once.... guy said gas cap was not closing properly... charged me $30 for a new gas cap! It was either that or fail.... they gotta make money somehow I guess.
    The gas cap will generate a CEL, yes; even if it does not, part of the inspection procedure is (and certainly should be) checking the gas cap physically as well, so even if the car has no error code stored from a bad cap, a bad cap will still fail the car.

However the will be a specific error code, whereas a "not ready" can be returned by any/all sensors for several on/drive/off cycles after a power reset (battery removal etc.) and the sensors must all report "ready" for the car to pass.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well, that's not a stock heat shield in that pic. Fairly certain it's not a SPT heat shield either, which would be the only possible alternative that would be installed by subaru. I'd be doubtful about the claims that it's never been modified.

Edit: Looking in the light of day, it appears to be a Grimmspeed heat shield. Now, maybe someone wanted to dress up their engine bay, but almost always the purpose of an aftermarket heat shield is because you put in an after market downpipe. If that was done, the question then becomes; how much was this car beat on, did they properly tune for the dp, did they tune it back, is the dp still on there?
    Last edited by Calvinball; 08-24-2013 at 04:10 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Think I am going to get the local Subaru dealership there to give it a quick look over before making the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Well, that's not a stock heat shield in that pic. Fairly certain it's not a SPT heat shield either, which would be the only possible alternative that would be installed by subaru. I'd be doubtful about the claims that it's never been modified.

Edit: Looking in the light of day, it appears to be a Grimmspeed heat shield. Now, maybe someone wanted to dress up their engine bay, but almost always the purpose of an aftermarket heat shield is because you put in an after market downpipe. If that was done, the question then becomes; how much was this car beat on, did they properly tune for the dp, did they tune it back, is the dp still on there?
    Agreed. A heatshield is a rather strange part to replace for engine dress up purposes as well... it's pretty hidden away really.

While I personally wouldn't buy a modded car, I don't necessarily think modded = beat on. The vast majority of Subaru owners I know that mod their cars are much, much more conscientious of taking care of their vehicle than owners I know who don't mod their car. Ends up being more of a pride of ownership and a knowledge of how what they do affects their car that a lot of people just don't have.

Of course, you never know if someone modded a car correctly... especially as these cars need a tune for a lot of things that are just simple bolt-ons on a lot of other cars.

It does have downpipe/exhaust modifications as well as some suspensions changes. I will know on Monday about the tune.

Any thoughts on why someone would buy a brand new WRX, mod it, then trade it in/get rid of it? I have no problem with mods but makes me worry why someone would put the money in then get rid of it shortly after.

I Support ClubWRX
    Those are the types of details one mentions initially. The car deserves to fail emissions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Coletrain12 View Post
    It does have downpipe/exhaust modifications as well as some suspensions changes. I will know on Monday about the tune.

Any thoughts on why someone would buy a brand new WRX, mod it, then trade it in/get rid of it? I have no problem with mods but makes me worry why someone would put the money in then get rid of it shortly after.

People change their minds, realize they want something else after all, maybe realize that it wasn't what they thought it would be after modding it, spent too much money and had to sell it... there's a lot of reasons.

To me, the bigger deal is that he originally tried to cover up the fact that it was modded. Makes me wonder what else he's not telling you.

How much is he asking for?

Never got an actual value. They gave me a good price estimate with my trade in though.

Figured I would update you guys. Just reserved a 2014 WRX premium that is supposed to arrive Sept 16. Figured I would get a new one with the peace of mind.

Never got an actual value. They gave me a good price estimate with my trade in though.

Figured I would update you guys. Just reserved a 2014 WRX premium that is supposed to arrive Sept 16. Figured I would get a new one with the peace of mind.
    Gratz!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Nice!

I was gonna say though..."Lightly used" but it's a 2013...with 17k miles? PO drove that thing a lot!

Definitely a good move on the new one
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12