Advice on buying a used 2012 WRX Limited
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Advice on buying a used 2012 WRX Limited within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hi everyone, I've been a Subaru Outback (2009) owner for nearly 5 years and I'm ready to pull the trigger ...

Advice on buying a used 2012 WRX Limited

Hi everyone,

I've been a Subaru Outback (2009) owner for nearly 5 years and I'm ready to pull the trigger soon on a WRX.

There is a used 2012 WRX Limited, Plasma Blue Pearl, with 11k miles on it for sale for about $27,000. It seems like a really good deal although I'm a little hesitant since its used though. I emailed with the sales rep and he said that they got it form a Subaru auction. I'm assuming that they were used cars from non Subaru dealerships just looking to dump inventory? He wasn't sure why the car was at the auction but he did know that it wasn't off of a lease. He thought that maybe the guy couldn't afford his payments or something. Its CPO and comes with 7 years and 100,000.

I haven't actually driven it yet or seen it in person but the rep said it was a 9.5/10.

Thoughts on whether or not you think this is a safe car to buy? Maybe just wait for the 2014s to arrive?

Anyway, let me know if you guys can help.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For an extra 2k just get a brand new one! I paid 29.5 for my 13 limited with 6 miles on the clock
    2012 Wrx SWP Hatch-Traded
    2013 Limited ISM Hatch -Current

Quote Originally Posted by Dzanga View Post
    For an extra 2k just get a brand new one! I paid 29.5 for my 13 limited with 6 miles on the clock
    +1 to this! That's a high price for sure. I paid 30k OTD for my premium model. Just go new IMO cause nearly ALL used WRX's are priced too high and the price difference between 1-2 years old vs new is too slim.
    Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rmara78 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been a Subaru Outback (2009) owner for nearly 5 years and I'm ready to pull the trigger soon on a WRX.

There is a used 2012 WRX Limited, Plasma Blue Pearl, with 11k miles on it for sale for about $27,000. It seems like a really good deal although I'm a little hesitant since its used though. I emailed with the sales rep and he said that they got it form a Subaru auction. I'm assuming that they were used cars from non Subaru dealerships just looking to dump inventory? He wasn't sure why the car was at the auction but he did know that it wasn't off of a lease. He thought that maybe the guy couldn't afford his payments or something. Its CPO and comes with 7 years and 100,000.

I haven't actually driven it yet or seen it in person but the rep said it was a 9.5/10.

Thoughts on whether or not you think this is a safe car to buy? Maybe just wait for the 2014s to arrive?

Anyway, let me know if you guys can help.

Thanks
    As suggested you could get a brand new one for not much more than $27K, but I think this one might be worth looking into a little. If they bought the car from an auction and it is a "9.5 out of 10" then you are probably going to be able to heckle them down quite a bit from their asking price. You know they damn well didn't pay $27K for it at an auction. You could always ask for a full point inspection report from them, and hey, if they are going to warranty it for 7 years 100,000 miles that is pretty much just as good as the factory warranty. Just make sure it wasn't totaled or recovered from a flood or something. I would personally get a new one, but if you can save $5-6K on this (almost new) one, then that is $5-6K you can either put into the car, or get yourself another toy. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 08-16-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great replies. I'll probably take a look at the car this weekend and if they can come down maybe I'll consider it. I guess I need to be patient and wait for the 2014s to hit the showroom floor.

I just bought a used 2012 WRX base for just under the price of a new one (previous owner didn't feel like making the payments anymore). But my catch is that I NEEDED a car ASAP since I totaled my STI and didn't have anything to drive. I had no time to wait for the new ones to get here, and there were no 2013 leftovers anywhere around me. So I pulled the trigger.

If you are in a situation to where you can wait, I would do it. Wait or try and get that price down to $25k out the door. Used WRXs pull a premium price as you can see.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

look it over and have it checked out as necessary, and if you can get it for 25K you're golden. If the car checks out, don't worry about going used. I bought mine used, less than a year old with the same mileage as the one you are looking at, and it has been one year without any real issue... Except my damn homelink mirror wobbles.
    '11 WRX DGM

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally, I would just put up the extra $2k and buy new.

No use spending that much on a used car when the brand new one is within reasonable reach.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Personally, I would just put up the extra $2k and buy new.

No use spending that much on a used car when the brand new one is within reasonable reach.
    +1
    2012 Wrx SWP Hatch-Traded
    2013 Limited ISM Hatch -Current

2k more is around $35 extra a month. If I would have done more research I would have went with new myself. I paid 24k for a base 11 with 16k miles.

Man, I must say you guys are awesome. This was my first post on this Forum and I've received so much positive information about my future purchase. I've spent hours on the Forum already reading up about cars, years, options, add-ons etc and all of its been super helpful. Its great to know there is such a passionate and supportive community for Subaru enthusiasts.

So I think I'll try and check it out this weekend and see how low they can go. If they give me a really good deal on my 2009 Outback for a trade-in and they come down on the price I might bite. Otherwise I'll have to put an order in for a 2014 WRX limited and wait.

Thanks again!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are in the NJ area I can get you a new Ltd for like 1200 more than what you are looking at spending on a used one! 14s are already in bound and order-able. I dont know why you would go used at that price unless you need a car like tomorrow, in which case you probably would have just bought it already.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Used WRXs pull a premium price as you can see.
    A couple of SR20s will pull a premium before racewars as well keep in mind

I originally looked at a 2010 wrx with 60k for 24k on it the salesman took me for a ride after I waited in the parking lot for 30 minutes waiting for a salesman and told me to come back with my parents.

A week later I came through in my12 wrx that I got for 27k with 6 miles on the clock, same dude came out asked if I needed help I told him a real dealer took car of me and drove off. My vote goes for new vehicle!
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampliified View Post
    A couple of SR20s will pull a premium before racewars as well keep in mind

I originally looked at a 2010 wrx with 60k for 24k on it the salesman took me for a ride after I waited in the parking lot for 30 minutes waiting for a salesman and told me to come back with my parents.

A week later I came through in my12 wrx that I got for 27k with 6 miles on the clock, same dude came out asked if I needed help I told him a real dealer took car of me and drove off. My vote goes for new vehicle!

Same experience for me. I went in to order the new STi sedan in September of 2010 (when the sedan first came back). I told the dealer I would buy it there if they gave me $100 off the MSRP. They wouldn't. I said I would buy it if they gave me $5 off the MSRP (I really wanted to buy the car but they were being jackasses and not working with me). They told me they wouldn't come down $1. I drove back in a few weeks later in a brand new STi sedan that came in randomly a few towns north and gave the salesman I had been dealing with the same look that is on vin diesel's face in that pic.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    If you are in the NJ area I can get you a new Ltd for like 1200 more than what you are looking at spending on a used one! 14s are already in bound and order-able. I dont know why you would go used at that price unless you need a car like tomorrow, in which case you probably would have just bought it already.
    ^ That. Buy new. And you don't know where that car has been, coming from an auction. That could be a Sandy rescue car. You just don't know.

I'd highly recommend going through Clayton (rexxx0486) as he has made my buying process thus far incredibly easy. Awaiting delivering on my '14 Hatch.

One more thing to keep in mind, with the newer car you are buying piece of mind. For the extra 1-2k in price, you will be assured no one has ruined the car by not breaking in the engine properly, ripping it and/or roughly changing gears, or generally putting it through the wringer every time they climbed into the car. And when you're spending that much money on a car, 1-2k is only just under 7% of the cars cost at 29k. An investment well spent, IMO.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.