help

This is a discussion on help within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; ok i am about to buy an 2008 sti and im 18 and i have a full time job with ...

help

ok i am about to buy an 2008 sti and im 18 and i have a full time job with really good pay making 55 to 60 hours a week and i wanted to know if i could afford this car i still live with my parents because i just graduated and im not going to college and i am paying for it myself just wanted a coulpe of peoples thoughts if i could afford this car any info is appreciated greatly

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How much per month are you willing to put toward the car (total money not just car payment)? Also, how much is the car you are going to buy?

Also lookup insurance premiums. I assume you are financing, so you will need full coverage. Depending on the financial institution, you will need a certain deductible (commonly under $1000). Look at the mileage and see what services are coming up. An 08 is likely gonna need a timing belt soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    Also lookup insurance premiums. I assume you are financing, so you will need full coverage. Depending on the financial institution, you will need a certain deductible (commonly under $1000)
    Exactly. Factors to consider...
    - Premium gas (I am sure you won't be driving in gas conserving ways)
    - Insurance (won't be cheap for an 18 yr old)
    - Taxes/registration
    - Cost of car
    - Cost of maintaining the car (tires/oil changes/etc depending on mileage)

Do you have a link to the car? Does it have proper maintenance records? How many miles are on it? Has it been modified? Info that will help us tell you if you are crazy or not

It is a certified used sti with 47000 miles and I unfortunately don't have a link to it and I have a turboed Mustang now and I will be on my parents family plan and the sti is bone stock

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok. Sounds good. But without knowing how much you are able to spend and how much the car will cost there is really no advice I can give you.

Im putting around 7 grand down and the car is 27000

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, so say you finance it. That's $380/month (not including sale tax). Factor in $50/week for gas (or more if you are driving as much as I assume you will being 18). That's $200/month for gas. Oil changes will cost you $30-70/change (depending on if you do it yourself/have someone else do it/oil you use). If you live in a state that charges excise tax then you will probably be paying $600 or so/year to get the car registered. You said you don't need to pay insurance. God bless your parents for paying $2500+/year for you to drive that car. If that is within your budget then go for it. That said, I would have an independent mechanic take a look at the car to make sure it is in proper running fashion. Good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    Your interest rate also plays a factor here.

Let's assume an optimistic 3.5% here (and I'm assuming your parents will have to co-sign) for a 5 year loan. That's $373 a month. Is your Mustang being traded in?

This is really a decision you should discuss with your parents, not a bunch of random people on the internet. Since they will very likely have a vested interest in this car (if they have to sign on your loan), work with them to see if this is a good decision or not.

My personal preference is to pay cash for my vehicles, since I avoid debt when at all possible.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if you have to ask, the answer is probably no

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    if you have to ask, the answer is probably no
    I 2nd this opinion

aaahhh not sure where you are located, but you can buy a WRX base sedan/or hatch for less then 27K, and have a nice warranty to boot. Just my thoughts.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Lol 2013 that is.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have to live with parents to afford a car, you need to buy less car. Its not just the price of the car but gas insurance proper maintenance and periodic expense all combine for a lot. You may be able to afford all that but honestly working basically just a car is not a wise decision... And it gets old pretty quickly.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC