Looking to spend 20k on a fun, reliable, awd sport's sedan/hatch/wagon. Should I
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looking to spend 20k on a fun, reliable, awd sport's sedan/hatch/wagon. Should I within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I've posted a few related threads but I'm still on the fence and I'm putting my vehicles up for sale ...

Looking to spend 20k on a fun, reliable, awd sport's sedan/hatch/wagon. Should I

I've posted a few related threads but I'm still on the fence and I'm putting my vehicles up for sale this week. I'm considering a used 09 or up WRX, an evo or an E90 BMW. If I get a WRX I'll probably want premium or limited and I'd probably also consider getting a new WRX and stretching the payments out but it will be difficult to stay under $200/month and that's going to be our limit.

I've always liked Subaru's and a WRX seems to split the difference between my unstoppable Jeep and practical on good roads BMW. My concern is that we have 3 reliable vehicles right now and I don't want to get into a situation where I have a vehicle that will leave my wife stranded or leave us with one vehicle. I've always heard Subarus are reliable but I've read through quite a few threads about ring-land issues and blown WRX engines. Are there ways to avoid these issues? How concerned should I be when buying a used WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Search through the fora and read all the stickies. There were specific motor problems (example: 2009) over the years. By far I feel the greatest source of failures are owners.

See what the youngest WRX is your money can buy in your area and go from there. I'd not own a Mitsubishi or BMW given your criteria. Post back if/when you find specific cars.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks, I've looked through some of those but I'll spend some more time in them. My BMW has been great but it's rwd the road into our development is a big hill with curves in it. I really don't want to risk wrecking my car because I have to start out in the middle of the hill on hard packed snow

just curious. cause based on your numbers, 20k @ $200 a month. even if you stretch it to the extreme of 72 months (6 years) not factoring in interest. 20,000/72=277.777778 that gonna be $277 a month before interest

you need to be looking at a $10,000 car imo if you want to stay at $200 a month.

on a brighter note you should be able to pick a bugeye within that price range without to much hassle
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 08-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    just curious. cause based on your numbers, 20k @ $200 a month. even if you stretch it to the extreme of 72 months (6 years) not factoring in interest. 20,000/72=277.777778 that gonna be $277 a month before interest

you need to be looking at a $10,000 car imo if you want to stay at $200 a month.

on a brighter note you should be able to pick a bugeye within that price range without to much hassle
    I guess I forgot to add I'm selling my 01 Jeep Wrangler and 02 BMW 330i and I'll be putting that money down on something. We are going to bank some of the money and I'm hoping to have between 11 and 14k to put down on something

My cousin and I both picked up a new 13 wrx hatchback. His was limited, mine was base model. The differences between the two models that i saw were: Leather seats, seat warmers, sun/moon roof, fog lights, HID lights, adjustable leveling lights, and maybe a few more that i cant think off the top of my head. P.S. Audio is crap in the new 13wrx through ALL models

Obviously for my cousin that extra $2000+ was worth it. In my opinion I did not care for those upgraded options and rather use that kind of money towards upgrading performance.

The car in its STOCK form is fun! But there is much much more potential within the beast!

If u are worried about reliability, (this may be obvious) buy stock. If you aren't familiar with Subies and mods, bring a friend that is. Like wrxnguyen said, the base model is a blast, and pretty nice inside to boot. I own a 2011 WRX sedan base model. I put my extra pennies into performance GL with your search, and let us know if you have any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    P.S. Audio is crap in the new 13wrx through ALL models

Obviously for my cousin that extra $2000+ was worth it. In my opinion I did not care for those upgraded options and rather use that kind of money towards upgrading performance.

The car in its STOCK form is fun! But there is much much more potential within the beast!
    Have you tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3wD...0geirhYyJEMfIQ

I would really prefer a limited, my 330i is pretty loaded and has me spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
    Have you tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3wD...0geirhYyJEMfIQ

I would really prefer a limited, my 330i is pretty loaded and has me spoiled.
    Yeah I did. I actually did that right when I test drove my car. The salesman was surprised and shocked lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.