2013, too problematic? - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

This is a discussion on 2013, too problematic? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by Calvinball And once you are actually moving, a Mazdaspeed3 is just as quick (45-65mph is the same ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    And once you are actually moving, a Mazdaspeed3 is just as quick (45-65mph is the same according to Morontrend...er...Motortrend), and a Ford Focus ST is significantly quicker while turning (.97 lateral g vs .92).

Can we all just agree that numbers are interesting but never tell the whole tale of a car, and can even be misleading? I'm sure there are those who are new or not as learned to WRX's who think "0-60 in 4.7, how the hell did that other car that can only do it in 5.8 hang with me??"

PS. I really didn't actually intend to type "morontrend," it just came through my fingers that way, I thought I should leave it for lulz.
    First off, definite lulz are in order for the "Morontrend" comment. Head over to Jalopnik and check out "Motor Trend theater." Some real gems in there. Fun fact, Richard Hammond was a presenter for MT before Top Gear.

Second, I completely agree with this. I think we've all become numbers obsessed, myself included in some instances. In the fantasy football culture we live in, stats reign supreme and people that aren't car enthusiasts (and even some gear heads) seem to go by "expert" opinions and 0-60 times when shopping for a car. If you want to make your car faster from 0-60, by all means do so, I'm not saying you shouldn't. I just feel that a lot of people use that stat as a basis on performance when they really shouldn't; it only tells such a small portion of the car's story. That goes for numbers on the whole. In my case, for example, I test drove about 5 family sedans, the Mazda CX-5, the ST, the WRX, and the MS3 as those were all in my price range and I liked them all. The WRX is not the best performer in certain categories (i.e. comfort, handling, and MPGs), but when I drove it, it just felt like home; like i was supposed to own this car. That means more to me than any number ever could.

Lastly, I think that when the average consumer goes to buy a car, they have no idea what they're doing and are severely misinformed because of shows like Top Gear. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE TG, but I take it as an entertainment program, not as bible. I think some people (not saying anyone here, just on my soapbox) are brainwashed by the "experts" to think faster = better = happier. I cannot disagree with that more. I put more weight behind personal preference than numbers any day. Just my $.02.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I used the 0-60 as a freaking reference; this is getting overblown lol. I'm well aware of the actual performance measures of a car and that 0-60 is not a great one; I should have used a better reference. For example, the WRX now has a faster 0-60 time than than the STi, simply because it requires one less gear change. It is obviously not faster around a racetrack. All I was trying to make was while it is not the quickest car in the sub $30k range, it certainly provides a helluva lot of fun, and has a lot of practicality that other cars in the price range ( BR-Z/FR-S, Genny Coupe, Mustang) don't. And that's why I think it's a great car. And with it's great reputation and aftermarket support, you CAN make the REX a hell of a performance machine. Subaru gave us a great canvas to work with.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Shame on you! BTW the Dark Gray Metalic WRX hits 60 in 4.4 seconds.

**Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    I like turtles.

^I clicked on it. Your car is sick!

I Support ClubWRX
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I declare shenanigans! Photochopped!!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    Hahaha!! I dig it

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    Hahaha!! I dig it
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    Mine has started to rattle. Hope it doesn't fall off!
    Went to the dealer today after my homelink fell off. At first they said there wasn't much they could do and it would just fall off again. I asked them to replace the "plate" in the anchor that the screws go into. They didn't have any in stock but took one off another car. The mirror is much more solid now and actually feels more sturdy than after the initial installation. Dealer also said Subaru knows about this issue and is working on a solution. Not sure what to think of that since this problem affects several Subaru models and has been around for at least a couple years.

WS6roars mine had been replaced 2 times now. The mirror plate area. They said next time it happens they will replace the whole unit out i guess. I have a 2011
    11 SWP LMTD Hatch SPT Exhaust, Kartboy STS w/ Bushings, 30% Tint, Red tails, Stage 1 TP Tune

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    First off, definite lulz are in order for the "Morontrend" comment. Head over to Jalopnik and check out "Motor Trend theater." Some real gems in there. Fun fact, Richard Hammond was a presenter for MT before Top Gear.

Second, I completely agree with this. I think we've all become numbers obsessed, myself included in some instances. In the fantasy football culture we live in, stats reign supreme and people that aren't car enthusiasts (and even some gear heads) seem to go by "expert" opinions and 0-60 times when shopping for a car. If you want to make your car faster from 0-60, by all means do so, I'm not saying you shouldn't. I just feel that a lot of people use that stat as a basis on performance when they really shouldn't; it only tells such a small portion of the car's story. That goes for numbers on the whole. In my case, for example, I test drove about 5 family sedans, the Mazda CX-5, the ST, the WRX, and the MS3 as those were all in my price range and I liked them all. The WRX is not the best performer in certain categories (i.e. comfort, handling, and MPGs), but when I drove it, it just felt like home; like i was supposed to own this car. That means more to me than any number ever could.

Lastly, I think that when the average consumer goes to buy a car, they have no idea what they're doing and are severely misinformed because of shows like Top Gear. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE TG, but I take it as an entertainment program, not as bible. I think some people (not saying anyone here, just on my soapbox) are brainwashed by the "experts" to think faster = better = happier. I cannot disagree with that more. I put more weight behind personal preference than numbers any day. Just my $.02.
    ^^^ Brilliant post/well written, too! I agree, 100%. Cheers/B

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789