2013, too problematic? - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013, too problematic? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by zax Hi you must be new. "0-60" means jack squat. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Hi you must be new. "0-60" means jack squat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    As an long time enthusiast, I find that to be one of the dumbest posts ever.
    Last edited by kritzell; 08-08-2013 at 09:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    As an long time enthusiast, I find that to be one of the dumbest posts ever.
    I have to agree with zax on that statement. The only thing 0-60 is good for is to tell you how fast you can go 0-60. In reality I never go 0-60.

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    In the real world, no it doesn't. But it's a decent comparative measure. And quarter mile times do mean something, which at 13.5 @100 isn't too bad for a $25k car, given it also has a ton of space and is AWD, which is great for me living in WA. I don't care just about straight speed. Overall, it's a great car, so long as you don't care about having the newest tech. I did a lot of research before deciding on a vehicle, and I'm not new to cars
    You'll quickly learn that everything the WRX does well "doesn't count" in some peoples eyes on club WRX. It's all about "trap speed"

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I have to agree with zax on that statement. The only thing 0-60 is good for is to tell you how fast you can go 0-60. In reality I never go 0-60.
    I couldn't disagree more. It's long been used as a standard measurement of a cars capabilities. Respectfully..

EDIT also if that's the case what measurements do we use...60-0 braking stats, 1/4 mile times or trap speed, skid pad results, top speed, lap times etc...etc...or none of them.
    Last edited by kritzell; 08-08-2013 at 08:58 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I couldn't disagree more. It's long been used as a standard measurement of a cars capabilities. Respectfully..

EDIT also if that's the case what measurements do we use...60-0 braking stats, 1/4 mile times or trap speed, skid pad results, top speed, lap times etc...etc...or none of them.
    I think it is kind of pointless...Maybe a nurburgring lap time (JK)? IDK, I see where you are coming from, but I don't race my car. I get joy out of feeling the power increase with modifications, but I also don't believe that 0-60 tells me anything about my car's capabilities (from my perspective). I think a good measure of performance for me is that the car is fast, and I feel like I have achieved a great level of performance when I pass cars off the road in the winter, and mine is glued to the snowy road and I am giving it full throttle past a snow plow in a school zone.

Fair enough. Good point on the snow. The main reasons I bought mine were the power and the fact I was tired of getting stuck every winter. Had I lived in warmer climates I'd have gotten a 5.0.

True. It has. But I think that measurement needs to change. These days, many cars have so much power that it can be difficult to put it down from a standing start. I think 0 - 100mph, or 30 - 100mph, should be the new benchmark. However, I also think it tells you very little about a car. It certainly doesn't tell you how much fun a car is. Fun is had in the corners.

Well from my perspective it's refreshing being able to put all the power down. I've had cars that would spin all the way through 1st and 2nd gears which wasn't much fun.(for me)

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You'll quickly learn that everything the WRX does well "doesn't count" in some peoples eyes on club WRX. It's all about "trap speed"
    Trap speed is a far better indication of actual acceleration.

The only determination we can make from "0-60" on a WRX is that 4.7 seconds is how fast your bank account goes from $5000 to $0.

Kudos to those of you who actually understand my statement.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    True. It has. But I think that measurement needs to change. These days, many cars have so much power that it can be difficult to put it down from a standing start. I think 0 - 100mph, or 30 - 100mph, should be the new benchmark. However, I also think it tells you very little about a car. It certainly doesn't tell you how much fun a car is. Fun is had in the corners.
    I kinda agree with this.. I mean, I like the 0-60 stats.. but my miata had an 8 sec 0-60 but it was way more fun to drive than my fiancee's 350z. But with all stats aside. I would just want to get the Subaru for the sound and how awesome it looks. The power and everything else is just an added bonus coming from a miata

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Kudos for admitting you owned a Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    4.7-5 seconds 0-60 is pretty damn quick in my book, given that is totally stock with the crappy stock tune, and I can bring 4 friends with me?! Count me in.
    And once you are actually moving, a Mazdaspeed3 is just as quick (45-65mph is the same according to Morontrend...er...Motortrend), and a Ford Focus ST is significantly quicker while turning (.97 lateral g vs .92).

Can we all just agree that numbers are interesting but never tell the whole tale of a car, and can even be misleading? I'm sure there are those who are new or not as learned to WRX's who think "0-60 in 4.7, how the hell did that other car that can only do it in 5.8 hang with me??"

PS. I really didn't actually intend to type "morontrend," it just came through my fingers that way, I thought I should leave it for lulz.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Kudos for admitting you owned a Miata.
    I'd love to own a Miata.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    And once you are actually moving, a Mazdaspeed3 is just as quick (45-65mph is the same according to Morontrend...er...Motortrend), and a Ford Focus ST is significantly quicker while turning (.97 lateral g vs .92).

Can we all just agree that numbers are interesting but never tell the whole tale of a car, and can even be misleading? I'm sure there are those who are new or not as learned to WRX's who think "0-60 in 4.7, how the hell did that other car that can only do it in 5.8 hang with me??"

PS. I really didn't actually intend to type "morontrend," it just came through my fingers that way, I thought I should leave it for lulz.
    Actually the ST is slower 3.2 vs 2.7 TROOF!!! I've never street raced my car so I'll take your guys word on it. I know at the strip I'm not losing to guys running 5.8 to 60 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I'd love to own a Miata.
    I've never had a feeling for them for some reason. I do like the BRZ though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.