2013, too problematic? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013, too problematic? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by Soobvirgin I'd just like a 6th for fuel economy. Current ratios could stay where they were. But ...

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I'd just like a 6th for fuel economy. Current ratios could stay where they were. But a 6th gear to drop RPMs by 500 at freeway speeds would be very welcome.
    I can tell you that the 6th gear in my 05 STI didn't drop speeds anywhere. On the highway, it ran in higher RPMs than the 5spds of WRXs
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DevonDisaster View Post
    So much ST glorification on a Subaru forum makes me chuckle lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Just because it's a Subaru forum, doesn't mean that we can't appreciate and realize what other good cars are out there. Subarus DO fall flat in many areas where others don't...such as their ability to repel water.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Just because it's a Subaru forum, doesn't mean that we can't appreciate and realize what other good cars are out there. Subarus DO fall flat in many areas where others don't...such as their ability to repel water.
    you mad bro?
    -Stink-Eye Mob #13 -

2008 WRBlue WRX (sold)
    2013 ISM WRX 5dr

Isn't the ST a FWD? Then how's the handling better? Maybe from factory, but my WRX is modified and handles better than anything I've had before, though that in itself doesn't mean much...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

stock hu blows, the rattles have started to come about, the usual stuff. nothing i'd say i wasn't expecting.

but interestingly enough the stock speakers are actually pretty decent once you get a new HU to give them clean power. and the rattles are fixed by a roll of weather stripping tape.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Isn't the ST a FWD? Then how's the handling better? Maybe from factory, but my WRX is modified and handles better than anything I've had before, though that in itself doesn't mean much...
    I don't know how they did it either, but Ford pulled it off. It's in every review of the car and I can attest from personal experience: The ST handles like a RWD car. Funny thing about it... it's the same chassis as my wife's MS3 and lacks the Torsen LSD. And yet, the MS3 plows through corners when driven at 99% and the ST lets the rear loose. The car is scary fun to drive. FWIW, I've driven many a Subaru and stock-for-stock, the ST blows the doors off any Subaru in the handling department. Keep in mind that even the hallowed GD STi is setup with significant understeer from the factor despite the DCCD's torque vectoring program and a front LSD.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So next question is.. Hatchback or Sedan?

And what would the pros and cons of each be?

My 08 was a sedan and I just bought a hatch. I thought hatchbacks were stupid and ugly, but having owned one for a week now I can definitely say that I love it. The functionality is amazing. I'm so glad that I bought a hatch. The cargo room is amazing and the look of it is really starting to grow on me.
    -Stink-Eye Mob #13 -

2008 WRBlue WRX (sold)
    2013 ISM WRX 5dr

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I don't know how they did it either, but Ford pulled it off. It's in every review of the car and I can attest from personal experience: The ST handles like a RWD car. Funny thing about it... it's the same chassis as my wife's MS3 and lacks the Torsen LSD. And yet, the MS3 plows through corners when driven at 99% and the ST lets the rear loose. The car is scary fun to drive. FWIW, I've driven many a Subaru and stock-for-stock, the ST blows the doors off any Subaru in the handling department. Keep in mind that even the hallowed GD STi is setup with significant understeer from the factor despite the DCCD's torque vectoring program and a front LSD.
    Is there a big difference in the torque steer between the MS3/ST?

I strongly considered the ST before choosing my WRX, and I don't think the ST has the passion the WRX has. Honestly, the car was quick, handled great, but the whole package just had something missing. The fake intake noise is annoying. The HUD and dash have WAY too much going on, and it protrudes so much the front seats feel cramped compared to the WRX. The back seat is tiny, the styling looks too much like a regular Focus, it's FWD, and you can definitely feel the torque steer if you get a bit too happy with your right foot. As odd as it sounds, I found the engine too "refined". I actually like the turbo lag and the kick at 4k the WRX provides. It just has more personality. And with all of the extra space and AWD, more practicality, especially being in Washington and my girlfriend and I take a lot of outdoor trips. That's my .02, and I commend the ST for what it is, but I'll take the Rex any day, crappy head unit and all
    Last edited by Zitro; 08-03-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I'd just like a 6th for fuel economy. Current ratios could stay where they were. But a 6th gear to drop RPMs by 500 at freeway speeds would be very welcome.
    Hear! Hear!

My BMW z4 had a very linear acceleration pattern and going from 5th to 6th would drop the rpm from 2700 to 2200 or so. It was just a little lighter than the WRX but had a 3L engine. Highway gas mileage was 31 mpg.

I Support ClubWRX

It really depends on what you're other hobbies are. What will you be doing in your WRX?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    It really depends on what you're other hobbies are. What will you be doing in your WRX?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Just like daily driving.. but I decoded on the hatch over the sedan

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    i commend you sir on your honesty! not many suby owners are willing to admit that there are other cars out there that are fun to drive as well. and maybe a little faster to boot!! lol cheers
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo