2013, too problematic? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013, too problematic? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; No problems yet here, at 160 miles...

No problems yet here, at 160 miles
    -Stink-Eye Mob #13 -

2008 WRBlue WRX (sold)
    2013 ISM WRX 5dr

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    well just remember your 2013 wrx is about as optioned out as a 1999 honda. small things i didnt realize mattered to me till after i bought my 2013. i know its going to sound all negative but just trying to point out little things often overlooked while in the euphoria stage of buying a new car.

1. your driver window is the only auto up/down window. most new cars are all 4 auto up/down
    2. any way you cut it. its still a 15k impreza at heart. so dont expect it to drive or be refined like a bmw. but thats typical in this class of car so its expected
    3. its got a 5-spd in 2013. a FIVE SPEED?!?!?!! for reference even a 15k chevy sonic has a 6 speed these days
    4. its "quick" wouldnt say "fast" but its definitely fun for sure.
    5. subaru sourced the radio from a 1978 Justy
    6. the WRX's awd is really 2 wheel drive since it has open diffs. you'll find that out the first time you try to put the power down in a hard 1st or 2nd gear corner and hear both your inside wheels squeeling and spinning. still puts the power down better than fwd or rwd alone. but not a true awd IMO
    7. seats look sporty but do little to actually hold you in place. and are rather uncomfortable
    8. did i mention its only a 5 speed. and its 2013? my 2002 rsx had a 6 speed. when i owned it over a decade ago.....
    9. the trunk was designed in the 80's. instead of struts like most modern cars it has bars that protrude into a good portion of the trunk. (if your thinking sedan)
    10. it has an annoying drone stock esp when warming up
    11. other than that its a blast to drive and a reasonable-ish value for 25k. i wish i would have looked harder at some other cars in the same price range Focus ST, MS3, GTI for example. but overall im happy with it.
    Stage 2 makes it a much much more fun car to drive
    So now would you have gotten a different car?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Above sounds like he'd definitively would buy different now. But: I bought a MY09 and have NO complaint. It's rough, uncivilized and goes like a bat-out-of-hell. I love it!
    I did NOT look for a sofa with wheels, after all.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    3. its got a 5-spd in 2013. a FIVE SPEED?!?!?!! for reference even a 15k chevy sonic has a 6 speed these days
    8. did i mention its only a 5 speed. and its 2013? my 2002 rsx had a 6 speed. when i owned it over a decade ago.....
    I don't understand your quarrel with this.

The 5MT is well suited to the torquey powerband of the 2.5L WRX. A 6MT would have you rowing through more gears, more often, all for naught.

Both your RSX (which has a much more peaky powerband) and a 15k Chevy Sonic with an anemic 1.2L must space the gear ratios closer to remain within the powerband between shifts. In all honesty, I think you're falling prey to the "a performance car MUST have more gears!" mentality that was injected into heads at the debut of Fast and Furious.

FWIW, you must HATE the Evo!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    my rearview mirror is rattling now, but I think there's a fix for that(13,000miles). The center diff died at 11k...warrantied. The A-pillar makes noises, supposedly the fix is more padding or foam I dunno.

Beyond that it's been putting a smile on my face every morning when I hit the on-ramp for the highway, especially after going Stage 2.

iH4
    Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    my rearview mirror is rattling now, but I think there's a fix for that(13,000miles). The center diff died at 11k...warrantied. The A-pillar makes noises, supposedly the fix is more padding or foam I dunno.

Beyond that it's been putting a smile on my face every morning when I hit the on-ramp for the highway, especially after going Stage 2.
    Second that on Stage 2

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Time for AWD fun! CBS 2013 WRX Sedan - SoCal - OC

How much is it to go stage 2?it seems like a good amount of people have it in stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonDisaster View Post
    How much is it to go stage 2?it seems like a good amount of people have it in stage 2

You're looking at around $2k

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    You're looking at around $2k

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I think you could actually go stage 2 for much less than $2k. If you get a used downpipe and tactrix cable, you could probably do it for $500-$1000 depending on the downpipe and the tune.

My rear view mirror is also about to fall off. Had the dealer look at it on the last service. They tightened the bolts but it didn't change the God-awful vibration it has. I haven't had time to take it back to them yet.

5th gear synchro also seems to be a common problem. Had mine replaced under warranty, but it didn't make it any easier to get into 5th. Just made it harder to get into 3rd. Win.... not.

Other irritations; a cabin air filter which can't be doing anything as every time I switch the air recirc off, a pile of leaves fall into the passenger foot well. Climate control has no setting between outside temp and 65. So if it's freezing outside, you can have 32 or 65. Nothing in between.

But, get it on a windy open road and you'll forget about most of the problems. For a while.

iH4
    One of my recent issues has been, having people walk by and point at the car, talk next to it and stare for too long. Kind of annoying > < lol.

Time for AWD fun! CBS 2013 WRX Sedan - SoCal - OC

Quote Originally Posted by iH4 View Post
    One of my recent issues has been, having people walk by and point at the car, talk next to it and stare for too long. Kind of annoying > < lol.

Damn.. That's too much for me.. Sorry guys, not getting my dream car anymore ;P haha

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    My rear view mirror is also about to fall off. Had the dealer look at it on the last service. They tightened the bolts but it didn't change the God-awful vibration it has. I haven't had time to take it back to them yet.

5th gear synchro also seems to be a common problem. Had mine replaced under warranty, but it didn't make it any easier to get into 5th. Just made it harder to get into 3rd. Win.... not.

Other irritations; a cabin air filter which can't be doing anything as every time I switch the air recirc off, a pile of leaves fall into the passenger foot well. Climate control has no setting between outside temp and 65. So if it's freezing outside, you can have 32 or 65. Nothing in between.

But, get it on a windy open road and you'll forget about most of the problems. For a while.
    i agree. my rearview mirror is sitting on my passenger seat. again.. for the third time. the dealer tells me there is no replacement part for the little piece of unthreaded aluminium that the bolts are supposed to thread into. so im tapping it this weekend myself and buying bolts to fit. hopefully this fixes the problem since subaru sees fit to ignore this problem altogether. oh well my subie is a nice stand in car until the 2015 mustang GT's come out
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DevonDisaster View Post
    So now would you have gotten a different car?

well i dont want to steer you away from a car you love and want. but in retrospect. for just my personal situation mind you. as im not saying the subaru is a bad car. i just feel like i would have been better off in a Focus ST. i do love my subaru. its fast and fun, rough around the edges(in both good and bad ways) but after test driving a focus ST a few weeks ago. i wish i would have bought one of those. for the same price i would have gotten

300 watt sony system, 4 auto up/down windows, touch screen, dual climate control, 6-spd, sunroof, amazing recaro seats, push button start, direct injection, 33 mpgs etc

so i kind of feel like i could have made a smarter choice. but on the bright side the Focus probably wont have half the resale value as the subaru. so if i ever picked a car to buy and trade up in a few years. this is the one to do it with. as i see 2-3 year old wrx's going for within a few grand of new msrp. so there is always that.
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 08-01-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: bush button
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

bush button
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"