A good price?

This is a discussion on A good price? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello evrybody, iv been searching for a WRX for a while now, and came across this one. Used 2005 Subaru ...

A good price?

Hello evrybody, iv been searching for a WRX for a while now, and came across this one.

Used 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX For Sale | Branford CT

I test drove it, and there is a little whiny noise I noticed but the dealer said thats because of the high mileage. There is also the missing cup holder in the back, and on the carfax it says it was in an accident. You can even check it out on the website. Everything else in the drive was fine, and I still had fun with it. I got them to lower the price down to $11,500 and kbb still has it higher. Im just a little worried about the high mileage and the accident report since it didnt specify what happened to it. It is a one owner car and was taken to a subaru dealership for all its maintenance. WRX's are a rare find to see nowadays over here. Any opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Will they allow you to take it for an independent inspection from anther subaru mechanic? The accident and whining sound would worry me. I would also make sure the timing belt has been done since you are over 105K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Will they allow you to take it for an independent inspection from anther subaru mechanic? The accident and whining sound would worry me. I would also make sure the timing belt has been done since you are over 105K miles.
    +1 to all this.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    +2 to everything said

Don't be afraid to walk away from this one. WRXs may be rare in your area, but it's better to be patient and end up with a great car vs. taking the quickest, cheapest one you can find and ending up with a lemon - ruining your experience with WRXs. But if it checks out (per 11blackSTi's advice), then it's a good find. Good luck!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

The dealer was very confident in his car and even suggested that I bring a mechanic to look at it so I wouldnt worry about it. The thing is im new in the area, so I dont know any good mechanics to check it out or bring. The whiny noise seems like its an axle problem, it occurs when I accelerate. I re-checked the carfax, and all maintenance checks out, at 114,784 miles the timing belt was replaced as well as the valve cover gaskets. One thing that caught my eye again was the accident reported at around 122,390, six months later it was traded in, with 127,XXX miles. There are a good amount of scratches on the driver side and back bumper, i noticed as well. About taking it to another subaru mechanic, do you think they will let me do that? And what would I ask the other subaru dealership?
    Last edited by Espinop123; 07-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It bothers me that the Timing Belt was changed 10,000 miles AFTER the required change interval.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Espinop123 View Post
    The dealer was very confident in his car and even suggested that I bring a mechanic to look at it so I wouldnt worry about it. The thing is im new in the area, so I dont know any good mechanics to check it out or bring. The whiny noise seems like its an axle problem, it occurs when I accelerate. I re-checked the carfax, and all maintenance checks out, at 114,784 miles the timing belt was replaced as well as the valve cover gaskets. One thing that caught my eye again was the accident reported at around 122,390, six months later it was traded in, with 127,XXX miles. There are a good amount of scratches on the driver side and back bumper, i noticed as well. About taking it to another subaru mechanic, do you think they will let me do that? And what would I ask the other subaru dealership?
    I would just ask them to generally look it over for any negative signs. They know what to look for. Look for damage to the frame, signs of rust, cheap parts used as replacement after the "accident," the source of the whine, the general overall health of the engine, signs of water damage, brakes, turbo, etc, etc, etc...If they don't let you have an independent mechanic look at it...Walk away. As far as reputable mechanics in your area, I would just google and then look at online reviews and call them up/visit them and just ask if they work on subarus. A quick conversation and you will be able to tell if they know what they are talking about and are a trustworthy person, or a sleezebag.

Quick update, im guessing noone is biting on this car, they have lowered the price now to $10,988.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Espinop123 View Post
    Quick update, im guessing noone is biting on this car, they have lowered the price now to $10,988.
    For the dealer to do that, my guess is that it's been sitting on the lot for some time, which is very curious since WRXs are supposedly rare in your area. It *could* be a decent car and it *could* be a good deal, but would you rather roll the dice or know for sure? Spend the money you'd save with that new price and pay a mechanic to have a look. Maybe even find a reputable Subie person in your area on the forums that can come with you for a test drive? Better than nothing.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

how would I go about having a mechanic, look just bring him a long, or bring the car to the shop? Sorry iv never done this before

I've never done it myself but I would imagine, you would ask your mechanic to role with you. I maybe wrong but pay him the hourly wage at his shop?