Should I or Should I not? HELP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should I or Should I not? HELP within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Let me just start off by saying I am a sophomore in college and i am looking on leasing a ...

Should I or Should I not? HELP

Let me just start off by saying I am a sophomore in college and i am looking on leasing a new car for the fact that i will be paying cheap monthly payments.
    My local dealer is telling me i can lease an all new WRX Sedan for 306 a month for 36 months with 2k down. Sounds like a sweet spot to me but I am not experienced with these things, What i want to know if you guys think this car would be good for a college commuter? i am going to be travelling about 54 miles twice a week just to get to school and other days will be on the street. I know that this car is not great with gas, but do you think that with me being on the highway most of the time should make a good difference? I just want some ideas on how many times you guys fill up your tank, or do you put in like 20 bucks and how much it lasts you. Please, i was thinking of getting an SI 2013, but i want an AWD WRX! its just so sexy to me. lol so please help me out here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If there is any doubt, there is no doubt. The answer is no.

Both cars are poor choices. A base Civic or Corolla will get better mileage.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A base Civic or Corolla will get better mileage.

^this

To answer your question.. I will get anywhere between 200-400 miles per tank in my WRX.. costs $50-$60 to fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    ^this

To answer your question.. I will get anywhere between 200-400 miles per tank in my WRX.. costs $50-$60 to fill up.
    Thats what i though too. but i want to stay away from corollas since my dad has the 2012 model. lol
    I asked because my friend owns a 1996 mustang which the MPG difference is very little. its averaging 27 on highway and the WRX 25 on highway.
    and he commutes to school, with no job doesnt complain about gas much, so if he can do it i think why cant i? i know the WRX is premium gas and that mustang isnt.

I Support ClubWRX
    I drive mostly around town, and I fill up about every 200 miles. With today's gas prices I am paying about $50 per tank for premium. Over the past 7000 or so miles I have averaged about 20 MPG. Just one other expense to consider is how much insurance is. Might want to factor that into your decision. Being a young male in a WRX will mean that won't be cheap (even if you have a spotless driving record).

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I drive mostly around town, and I fill up about every 200 miles. With today's gas prices I am paying about $50 per tank for premium. Over the past 7000 or so miles I have averaged about 20 MPG. Just one other expense to consider is how much insurance is. Might want to factor that into your decision. Being a young male in a WRX will mean that won't be cheap (even if you have a spotless driving record).
    Thats exactly what i have been trying to figure out. I know for a fact that it will not be under my name. It will probably be under my mothers or fathers name so it shouldnt be that expensive. I really want a WRX . I fell in love when i test drove it at my local dealer!

Leasing is generally, not always of course, but generally a poor choice. Especially if you're worried about money. You get a better monthly payment, but you're essentially renting the car. Not that a car is ever a good investment, but from a long-term financial perspective leasing usually the worst approach.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

After reading the first sentence I thought "no".

But some people are very well off and maybe your parents will help you a lot.
    If you can afford 300$ a month just for car payments and then plus the insane insurance costs, premium gas gas, go for it. If you want something and money isnt really in the way, why not?

Reliable, AWD, theyre not a prius for gas mileage but i wouldnt say theyre "bad".
    I get around 25mpg and its like 50$ to fuel up. My miles per tank usually vary but mnost of the time im getting around 25mpg. Buttttttt since my car is untunedish i rarely hit boost.. but before with some "fun"driving in my normal commutes id still get like 23mpg.

IMO if you can afford it without struggling, go for it. Have you thought about buying a stock used older WRX? Less expensive and equally fun.

Id look for a stock 02-07 with low miles, thats for a good price and go have some fun. Drive a fun car and enjoy your daily commute. If money limits your happiness just find a cheaper way to have some fun.. Will a civic or corrolla really make you happy?
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Peachypumpkincheeks

I know you're young and looking to have a fun car, but as a former college kid I must agree with the above. You have to put your NEEDS above your WANTS right now!

I also wouldn't recommend leasing, but that's only because you're throwing money at something you don't get to keep and you will be heavily fined if you go over allotted mileage.

I recommend buying (or leasing if you have to) a Nissan Versa or Civic or something that has magical MPG so you can save mad money on gas. Sell the car later and use all the money saved to BUY a sweet WRX when you graduate!

Patience is really hard to come by these days, but in the long run you'll really be proud of yourself!

My 2002 WRX (Stage 2) costs me $50+ to fill and when I was driving it to work (13 miles or 30-40 mins), I had to fill up every week.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Do you even need a car? Can you get a ride? It's a bit of a pain but I was able to do it for a while during college. Save that money and buy when you get your first job. It will be much easier to afford. If you have to buy I would say buy a used reliable car that you don't worry about when it is parked in the street for all that time. Take your time and weigh the pros and cons. Good luck.

I mean do what you want...but they all speak good advice. If you are perfectly fine with spending a nutty amount of money as a 19-20 year old college sophomore, go for it. Less money for you to enjoy pullin mad hunnies and slugging mad cases of Keystone Light...

All I know is that I was broke. I lived off the generous $50 cash every two weeks or longer my parents would graciously give me since they didn't want me to have a job and wanted me to focus on my studies, and playing soccer for my college. I didn't need anymore money because I had a meal plan and housing already. So...that $50 went to booze usually...

I don't think its worth it...leasing is especially not a good idea since you WILL be putting a lot of miles on the car while you're driving daily and leases usually don't allow more than 10k or 12k a year, otherwise you pay 30 cents+ a mile over when you turn it in. You will have all the time in the world when you graduate to dump all the money you want into a car when you have a job.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I was in your position just 4 years ago, ready to bite on a VW R32. I decided against it to avoid the stress of a monthly payment (despite the fact I was making more than enough money) and having a nicer car around a college campus. I was extremely happy I made the decision I did, and don't regret it 1 bit. I say save your money and get something for yourself 6 months after graduation, like I did. It's a great feeling being able to purchase something you've wanted for a long time with money that you've made on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Less money for you to enjoy pullin mad hunnies and slugging mad cases of Keystone Light...
    Preach!

as a heads up im 22 and starting school again, quitting my job with bills still to pay and still keeping my car, its going to be tough but if you want it you can surely do it.

not nearly as much as a new car payment and insurance would be but still have to spend a good amount a month on bills...going to suck..but id rather but a case of keystone than 93 fuel! haha
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    but id rather buy a case of keystone than 93 fuel! haha
    The gas would probably taste better.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    Preach!
    but id rather but a case of keystone than 93 fuel! haha
    Given no other option I would rather but a case of keystone than 93 fuel too. Less chances of my ass exploding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast