The "Camelback Difference"
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The "Camelback Difference" within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Looking to purchase a 2013 5-door base WRX. The closest dealership, and the one I have taken my 2004 WRX ...

The "Camelback Difference"

Looking to purchase a 2013 5-door base WRX.

The closest dealership, and the one I have taken my 2004 WRX to for years, has one on the lot with a short-throw shifter and tinted windows but no other options. They have listed what I think is an outrageous price for what they call the "Camelback Difference" (located in Phoenix, Arizona).

For the bargain basement price (note the sarcasm) of $1,895 they will; apply the initial application of ZakTek, provide clear door edge guards, enroll me in a lifetime (I think but also doubt) nitrogen air assurance program, and provide me a loaner car when I'm in for service (doubtful another WRX).

ZakTek, from what I can tell is just a fancy paint sealant. Griot's Garage sells sealant for $20. The clear door edge guards I wouldn't mind... again, $20 from Amazon. Nitrogen air sounds nice but I've been running on good old fashioned, CO2 enriched air for more than 25 years so not sure how important that is. And, now that I'm married with an extra car, I no longer need a loaner car. But even if I did shouldn't they want me to always be driving a Subaru? Keep me in the family, so to speak?

I've been down similar roads where the dealership has added some extra benefit or two and they have told me they could not remove it from the price of the vehicle... something about how the Owner requires it. So far I've been able to get the car price reduced by the cost of the extras but I've never seen one so high.

What I'm wondering is how others might/have approached this. Headed in to the dealership tomorrow morning so ths is as much for the next person as it is for me.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would skip all the junk.. sounds like they're just trying to charge you $1,895 for less than $100 worth of options you don't need.

Do you mind me asking what they want for it ? That seems a lot of money for those things and the clear edge guards their charging you separate for I think It comes from the factory that way and should already be installed from the factory. Nitrogen pressure in you tires doesn't fluctuate like air does but I don't think its worth the extra amont of money that it cost to have it done and you can alsobuy a better sealant than what they want to do.I would think they would be working with you better than that. I think I would look at another dealer even if you had to drive a little. The dealer I bought mine from everytime I have it serviced they give me a loaner and I never bought any type of package that should be a sercice that they offer their customers sounds like you have used them a lot for service. Good luck

Before this "difference" they want $27,323 (includes $25,795 MSRP, $770 destination fees, $358 short-throw shifter, and $399 window tint).

TRUECar says I should should/could pay $24,209 before fees, and options. Invoice is listed at $24,359 so they're suggesting $150 invoice.

I'd be comfortable with $500 over invoice I think... much like rexxx0486 has available on the forum... maybe even a bit more for the convienance of not having to wait and ship. But this $1,895 thing has got to go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't pay for what you don't want. If they won't deal don't buy the car.

They don't want the car. That's why they're selling it. For the money I doubt you'd want it either. If its an issue with them, walk.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    everytime my subaru has ever been in the service shop ive had a subaru loaner. I didnt pay extra.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

What a rip-off. I would be going in and telling them there's no way I'm buying the car with any of that extra stuff.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

They need your business... You don't need theirs!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

I purchased my car at this dealership and it went well. You don't need to get all that crap for the extra1895. I got mine for invoice. When you go to financing, if you are planning to get the extended warranty, you can talk them down drastically also. I only pay $5 extra a month for the warranty. They are gonna go back and forth with the price but they will continue to drop it if you just say no.

I also did not pay the extra 1895. They said I had to be charged for the nitrogen in the tires and the tint but I refused. After negotiating for hours it seemed they did not charge me for either and I also got the zaktek crap for free. I would deal with Michael, the Internet sales guy. He's kind of a push over, so you can keep getting the price down but he was a pleasant guy.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.