Looking at buying this car...is it a good deal?

This is a discussion on Looking at buying this car...is it a good deal? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hi everyone, I am looking at buying an 06 WRX with 34k miles on it they are asking ,998. It ...

Looking at buying this car...is it a good deal?

Hi everyone, I am looking at buying an 06 WRX with 34k miles on it they are asking $19,998. It had one driver in his early 50s I guess and this car was his baby. The dealership claims he only drove it in the summer and never in the rain etc. Looking over the condition of the car it backs up these claims. There is a nice service record showing the person was great about oil changes and that kind of stuff. It also is a limited so it comes with the leather interior and the moon roof. Here is the thing that makes me hesitate though. The car has the following mods-

COBB ACCESS PORT STAGE II PROGRAMMING
    COBB TURBO-BACK EXHAUST
    STI INTERCOOLER
    SPT SPRINGS
    COBB TUNING WAY BARS
    SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS WITH HAWK PADS
    Cobb intake

When I first started looking I was not going to buy a car with mods, but these are the mods I was going to get done anyways so it would save me time and money. What say you guys? Deal or no deal? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

20k for a 7-8 year old WRX? You can find '09s, '10s, and even '11s for around that price.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Very true Calvin and that's how I would approach it as well. See if I could talk them down lower. Maybe 16k?

It just throws me off on one hand it's an old car, but then on the other it's practically new.

Quote Originally Posted by DaShady View Post
    Very true Calvin and that's how I would approach it as well. See if I could talk them down lower. Maybe 16k?
    I'd definitely haggle. They are going to throw "but that's the Blue Book value" at you for sure, since it actually is up around that high. I'd counter by doing some searches of actual listings and having those available. I jumped on Cargurus.com real quick just to double check my claim that 09s, 10s, and 11s could be had for around that price. I'm sure with some research you could find more to bolster your argument.

Edit: Another piece you could bring to the table, Edmunds, which IIRC bases it's value assessments more on actual sales data, lists a much lower value for that car.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I think they will try and sell me on all of the mods too. I plan to tell them that's actually a negative in my book because I have no idea if they were done right.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DaShady View Post
    that's actually a negative in my book because I have no idea if they were done right.
    smart man.

around here we always recommend buying an unmodified subaru for that very reason

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.