Buying a Subaru... Need help on the decision.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buying a Subaru... Need help on the decision. within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey guys! Total Subaru noob here! So, I'm looking to pick up a WRX from about 2008, 2009 or 2010. ...

Hey guys! Total Subaru noob here!

So, I'm looking to pick up a WRX from about 2008, 2009 or 2010. I hit up the dealership today and got some information. It appears that the 2008 WRX comes in 224 HP and 265 HP. The 2009 (and i think he said 2010) WRX comes in 265 HP only. When I talked to a couple friends, they said that with a "chip" they could get me a bunch more Horsepower (I assume they were talking about the Cobb tuning access port).

Any advice in my situation? The 2008 is about 5k cheaper but has more KM's on it. Can i achieve a decent HP if I buy the tuner and the 224 HP car?

-Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh! And before I forget (it's a minor thing but I wanted to still ask) I find the knob on the Subaru kind of ugly... any suggestions on other ones?

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy the newest, unmodified car you can afford. Follow the link in my signature. See the purchasing forum sticky threads.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

There's a reason the 2008 is 5k cheaper.
    Here in the states, 2008 only comes with 224hp. It physically has a smaller turbo than 09+ WRXs. Plus 2008 is said to be the most neutered year. Soft sprung suspension, low power, bland looks.

Posted from a fone.

Hey guys! Total Subaru noob here!

So, I'm looking to pick up a WRX from about 2008, 2009 or 2010. I hit up the dealership today and got some information. It appears that the 2008 WRX comes in 224 HP and 265 HP. The 2009 (and i think he said 2010) WRX comes in 265 HP only. When I talked to a couple friends, they said that with a "chip" they could get me a bunch more Horsepower (I assume they were talking about the Cobb tuning access port).

Any advice in my situation? The 2008 is about 5k cheaper but has more KM's on it. Can i achieve a decent HP if I buy the tuner and the 224 HP car?

Also, what should I pay for about for these cars? Cars in Canada are more (**** this country...) but what approximately am I looking for? I figure about 18K-22K is a good deal.

-Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    There's a reason the 2008 is 5k cheaper.
    Here in the states, 2008 only comes with 224hp. It physically has a smaller turbo than 09+ WRXs. Plus 2008 is said to be the most neutered year. Soft sprung suspension, low power, bland looks.

Posted from a fone.
    Yeah, thats what I hear. It is only 224 HP. So the springs arent as good?

I Support ClubWRX
    Merged threads.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Go for the '10. The '08 sucks and I think the '09 can have issues at times, or so I've heard. Not too sure, but when I was looking the '11 and '10 were nearly the same price. I'd suggest taking a look at '11s as well. You may find one near to your price range.

Also, always go unmodified.
    '11 WRX DGM

Early 2009 WRX's would spin bearings in their infancy because of the material used in early production.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Early 2009 WRX's would spin bearings in their infancy because of the material used in early production.
    Many of them have been replaced by now by Subaru under good faith if they fall within certain build dates (late 08 build dates for 09 MY, if I recall correctly)...so if the engines have been replaced, they would be in good shape.

But yeah, 2008s are meh. 09 or 10 is what you'd probably want to do for better performance. Either way, find something stock, with a great service history on record, and go from there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2010's are looking expensive. I assumed lots would come into the dealership from leases, etc but I'm not seeing many...

I don't think many people lease these cars. That is complete conjecture, of course.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I sell you a nice one! Make me an offer. Great shape, 60k mile, 2010. Not really looking to sell but...a BMW 550 would be a better commuter for me. Plus, then I can fit 2 car seats.

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    I sell you a nice one! Make me an offer. Great shape, 60k mile, 2010. Not really looking to sell but...a BMW 550 would be a better commuter for me. Plus, then I can fit 2 car seats.
    Not really near Denver. Unless you can make it to Edmonton, Alberta or I can make it down, I'll have to pass for now. Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by boxxylol View Post
    Not really near Denver. Unless you can make it to Edmonton, Alberta or I can make it down, I'll have to pass for now. Thanks though
    Ahh cmon, I'll meet you half way!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast