Need some advise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need some advise within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm looking to get a 04-06 STI (prefer 05). I'm having a difficult time finding something in my price range ...

Need some advise

I'm looking to get a 04-06 STI (prefer 05). I'm having a difficult time finding something in my price range of $15,000-$19,000.

There is someone selling an '04 with 206,000km for $13,000. I've owned a few Subaru's with high milage (non were turbo'ed) and never really had a problem but how reliable would an STI with 200,000+km be?
    Should I hold out and buy something more expensive or drive that for a few years until I can afford something newer?

If it matters here's a few highlights from the car ad: Sways bars left and right, fully tuned with a stand alone ecu. Cobb, Turboxs, Cusco, GTspec.
    I'll obviously need to check brakes, timing belt and clutch.

There's also another '04 for sale for $24,000 with 70,000km but thats a bit more than I want to spend right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I honestly wouldn't buy it...if it has enough mods to warrant a fully stand alone ECU, then it's probably pushing quite a bit of power, which at that long of a life, means that the engine could be pretty worn.

You want to find one as close to stock as possible if you want an older higher mileage STI to last. That being said, you also want to find a car with a complete as possible service record history as you can get.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

i think this guy has a blob eye sti for sale^^
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    i think this guy has a blob eye sti for sale^^

If I had an easy way to sell it to someone in Canada.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I honestly wouldn't buy it...if it has enough mods to warrant a fully stand alone ECU, then it's probably pushing quite a bit of power, which at that long of a life, means that the engine could be pretty worn.

You want to find one as close to stock as possible if you want an older higher mileage STI to last. That being said, you also want to find a car with a complete as possible service record history as you can get.
    I never even thought to think about the ECU, very good point. I don't mind a few modes but I would prefer to get one as close to stock as possible.

Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    +1

...Also... Sway bars don't come in left/right
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    +1

...Also... Sway bars don't come in left/right
    Maybe the seller confused left/right with front/rear.
    Last edited by preston_nfs; 05-06-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by preston_nfs View Post
    Maybe the seller confused left/right with front/rear.
    I'd hope so. Just a flag that something isn't quite right. If ya know how sway bars work, it's pretty hard to confuse front/back with left/right. Just one of those signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yeah it does kinda sound like the seller doesn't actually know anything about that car...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.