Ordering '13 WRX and would like opinion

This is a discussion on Ordering '13 WRX and would like opinion within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey everyone, Just to start off I'de like to state that i am new to this forum, but not car ...

Thumbs up Ordering '13 WRX and would like opinion

Hey everyone,
    Just to start off I'de like to state that i am new to this forum, but not car forums in general.

I'm interested in ordering a 2013 WRX limited 5-door and would like some opinions on which accessories to load it up with. Don't be shy, any and all opinions are welcome. Also, there wasn't a WRX on the lot today when i went to test drive. they have some on order but won't be in for a week or 2 and they aren't exactly close to home. the sales woman had me test drive a 2009 impreza (she said the 2013 WRX is based off of that years body instead of the new.... Is that correct?) because i was interested in seeing exactly how well my 6'2" 255Lbs frame fit. i fit nicely in this car, but it seemed smaller then the 2013 WRX.

Navigation? (i get a discount so it wouldn't be nearly as much to add this one) I know alot of you add an aftermarket head unit and re-wire for use with the steering wheel controls. I may eventually go this route, but i'm interested in having all of the controls on the steering wheel and i'm not sure they are all there without getting the NAV.

the other accessories i'm looking into are;
    -Armrest extension
    -Auto dimming mirror with compass and homelink
    -Interior illumination strictly because it is my understanding that there is no illumination at you're feet unless this is installed (if i'm wrong please tell me becuase i'de rather have white than blue or red)
    -Power outlet 110v (incase we take it overnight camping i'll be able to blow up an air mattress, among other things), -Security system shock sensors
    -Wheel locks
    -I May add the short shifter but i'm going from a very long throw on my 4DR jeep wrangler 6-speed so it'll be VERY different and i'm fairly quick with shifting in the first place. I'm not sure my size 13 foot can keep up with my hands with a short throw shifter.

Any others you would add? Any otheres you wouldnt have? and please back you're selection up with a reason, or you're post is fairly useless.

Thank you ahead of time for any and all responses

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the factory installed short throw shifter and I am glad I have it. I have driven a same year model without it and it feels much better. I will eventually add bushings to get rid of some of the slop and make the shifting more crisp. I also have the illumination (which is red and I love), and the navi and auto dimming mirror with compass. These were added on without really increasing my sticker, so I am happy with them...That being said, if I had to pay more I would not have gotten them. I would have saved money and got a better STS (kartboy or cobb), a navi headunit that puts some power to my speakers (very underpowered), and I have tinted windows (so the autodimmer is basically useless) and I don't really care if I am going southeast lol. Also, you should definitely add a nice set of bewbs.

Either way, your money and if you want to pay up the butt for subaru accessories it is your money.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome!

I bought the WRX Limited hatch in September of last year. The following extras too:

Armrest extension - it's good, but only my elbow gets to enjoy it - too far back
    Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink - great feature at night and the homelink is nice
    Interior Illumination - I choose the blue light to be different, gives it a nice little splash at night
    No Power Outlet - Don't plan on shaving while driving
    Wheel Locks - they were very cheap and might keep some people from trying to steal the wheels but not many
    SPC Short Shifter - Unless you are going to get a Kartboy installed right away; GET THIS!
    Boost Gauge - Looks cool, hehehe, my COBB AccessPort handles my boost recording now
    Rear Bumper Cover - You will be surprise how often you use that area as a ledge when loading stuff in the trunk
    Rear Cargo Net - Great when buying a few store items and you want a place to put them until you get home
    Side Door Guards - Best insurance from car dings! Never park in lot without these guys and they are color matched too

That is what I have and my opinion on them.
    Last edited by Delnari; 04-19-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schleges View Post
    the sales woman had me test drive a 2009 impreza (she said the 2013 WRX is based off of that years body instead of the new.... Is that correct?)
    Yes, though I don't know that a newer Impreza would be all that different. Keep in mind that the seats in a WRX are going to be different than a regular Impreza. There are a number of guys your size on the forum, though, who don't complain about living in their WRX's. Some of which have older models, which are a bit smaller inside.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Technically yes, the 2009 Impreza is smaller than the 2013 WRX, but only in exterior dimensions as the 2011+ WRXs have the widebody style. As Calvinball pointed out, the only big interior difference will be the seats.

As far as options go:
    - I have the armrest extension but have yet to use it. I didn't order my car like most people do, so it was just part of the package.
    - I thought about getting the auto dimming mirror, but window tint has worked well in its place.
    - For wheel locks, I'd look at some aftermarket tuner style lug nuts like these. In my opinion they look better since they all match and the colors make a nice accent. I've also read of one or two people breaking their OEM wheel locks.
    - I'd try the stock shifter first. If you like it, great you saved some money. Most people recommend getting the Cobb or Kartboy short shifters since they provide even shorter throws than the SPT unit and are significantly cheaper.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

double post
    Last edited by djk5077; 04-20-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: don't need to see my blabbering twice
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

We're about the same height/weight...

Quote Originally Posted by schleges
    Navigation? (i get a discount so it wouldn't be nearly as much to add this one) I know alot of you add an aftermarket head unit and re-wire for use with the steering wheel controls. I may eventually go this route, but i'm interested in having all of the controls on the steering wheel and i'm not sure they are all there without getting the NAV.
    I have yet to find a factory navigation system I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by schleges
    the other accessories i'm looking into are;
    -Armrest extension
    -Auto dimming mirror with compass and homelink
    -Interior illumination strictly because it is my understanding that there is no illumination at you're feet unless this is installed (if i'm wrong please tell me becuase i'de rather have white than blue or red)
    -Power outlet 110v (incase we take it overnight camping i'll be able to blow up an air mattress, among other things)
    -Security system shock sensors
    -Wheel locks
    -I May add the short shifter but i'm going from a very long throw on my 4DR jeep wrangler 6-speed so it'll be VERY different and i'm fairly quick with shifting in the first place. I'm not sure my size 13 foot can keep up with my hands with a short throw shifter.
    I like the armrest extension, due to my height.

I have the auto-dimming mirror, but no HomeLink. At the time, I didn't have an automatic garage door opener, so it wasn't necessary. Good purchase.

Interior illumination kit is "meh" to me. It wasn't an option on my car, and I've never felt like I needed it.

I've never had an issue with the regular DC power outlet in my car (phone chargers, radar detectors, GPS, electrical air compressors, etc.), so the outlet (unless it doesn't come with one stock) isn't something I've needed.

The shock sensors aren't bad, but they aren't like an aftermarket alarm (despite being priced similarly). Having the factory option included on your car may reduce your insurance rates, but that will vary (it's only a question they can answer).

Wheel locks are a ****ing joke. It takes me an additional 2-3 minutes (vs standard lugs) for all four corners to remove them without a key. Anyone really interested in taking your wheels will be the same.

I am not a fan of the OE short shifter kit. For what you pay, you can get a far better kit in the aftermarket which also replaces all four sets of bushings. To most, the bushings are more important than reducing the throw length. OE shifter bushing upgrades are a joke, and not worth the price, so don't bother with them, either.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

no bluetooth without the nav though right? with everything that has to do with cellphones being illegal in NYS, including all of the road blocks around blind corners looking for people without hands free, this would be a huge convenience. but thats just it... convenience! i'm not a fan of XM radio i've had Sirius for years now, but you can't get that with a touchscreen aftermarket heads up unit anyways.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bluetooth is standard on all trims. With or without nav.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by bensonwilles View Post
    If talking about me then a few months back when I bought my WRX hatch, with which I got some extras like

Interior Illumination -Its really awesome as my bike has also a blue light in so I also had preferred a blue one!!
    Wheel Locks -I think they were not good but can be accepted!!
    Boost Gauge -Really good!!
    Side Door Guards -Can be accepted as they were matching!!
    Every time we kill a Spam, they come back a little bit smarter...
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

^^hahah

didnt realize how many options were available on the new wrxs... i wantttt
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography