From WRX to STI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on From WRX to STI within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Just curious how many of you did what I'm considering. So I've owned a 2004 WRX Sedan since October. I ...

From WRX to STI

Just curious how many of you did what I'm considering. So I've owned a 2004 WRX Sedan since October. I love the car, it's honestly the best car I've ever owned. Nothing wrong with it, it's quick, it handles great, all around FUN car.

But I just want something a little bit more than the WRX. I'm looking to buy the 2004-2005 Sti, I want that 6 speed with the DCCD, The Huge Brembo breaks, The sexy blue interior and the list goes on.

Again, NOTHING wrong with my WRX, I love it to death, but... what can I say, I'm addicted to Subaru's and the STi is my dream car.

So how many people on this forum made this transition?

Off topic yet related, WTF is the insurance difference? I try to get quotes from Progressive, All State, Geico and Some local place and the STi isn't showing up, it's just the WRX. Is it true the 2004 STi that is around $17,000 (in good shape), is the same insurance rate as a 2004 WRX worth around $9,000 (in good shape)? If so, that's a bargain!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    As far as insurance goes, you won't see any difference between the two cars. If you bought new, then only difference would be due to the fact that the STI has a higher sticker price. Both actually benefit from the high safety ratings (that all subarus receive).

Can't really speak for the jump from WRX to STI as I have never had a WRX. I will say though that the jump from an impreza 2.5i to and STI was quite nice and one that I never regret

That's what I'm worried about, regret. This WRX I have is like mint, with a brand new clutch (I bought the car used). I'm just worried that I buy an STi with like 90k miles that will start giving me problems. Because we can both agree that the STi's miles aren't light, casual miles I'm surfing eBay and craigslist A LOT and am looking for cars with new clutches and timing belts. Anyways... I was surprised when I read your post on the insurance, I actually just called for a quote and they said the same!

Thanks for the Reply I'm like 80% sure I'm going through with my plans on an STi

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Go for it. If it makes you happy, it's worth it IMO.

Honestly, I would not purchase a 2004 STi.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Honestly, I would not purchase a 2004 STi.
    Why not? And what would you recommend? I was aiming for the 04-07 range ( I prefer the peanut/blob eye)

Something bad about that year?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Why not? And what would you recommend? I was aiming for the 04-07 range ( I prefer the peanut/blob eye)

Something bad about that year?
    2005 > 2004. Better hubs, halfshafts, better front LSD, DCCD controller remapping, etc.

IMO, $17k on a 9 year old car with nearly 100k miles is ludicrous. Thanks Subaru, but I'll take my money elsewhere. Especially with how STis are generally treated (very poorly).

When buying a performance car, I would recommend buying new. If you can't afford right now, take some time and save your money until you can purchase new. You just bought the car 6 months ago for ****'s sake!

Facebook me here

You just bought the car 6 months ago for ****'s sake!
    I know I know lol!

I'm VERY surprised on how long these cars can hold their value, same for Evo's They float around $17k forever it seems and that's on craigslist private sales, I looked at some dealers already and they are always like $2k more > Anyways, I can ramble on about how much I want an STi all day long, it ain't getting anything done.

Although I did learn that there is a difference in the 04 & 05 models. I'm going to do my research on the differences, although I'm kind of confuzzled on what you mean by DCCD remapping. I know what the DCCD is but remapping it? interesting, learn something new about this cars everyday x)

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes do much research if you are planning to buy used. And if you aren't a car mechanic get a good one to give any car you are serious about a VERY close looking over! Good luck with you course of action!

I was in the same boat. I have a 2008 Spec V with 32k miles on it. I've had it since 12k and it's clean clean clean. I wanted a WRX/STI for years and the itch was getting worse. I had my Spec V for for about 2.5 years and nothing but good times. I didn't want to finance anything so I decided $20k would be my limit. Only thing I was finding was 6+ year old cars with 70k+ miles. The kicker was the price tag was ~$22k.

Long story short, I did a ton of research and found out you're playing a dangerous game buying one used. If you're prepared for the worst (thousands in repairs) than go for it. My problem was if I got a used WRX/STI for ~$20k and in the first year or so I ended up spending a few thousand in repairs I would essentially be paying for a new WRX but only having an old WRX/STI to show for it.

I got my Spec V in 2010 (it's a 2008) with 12k miles. I paid $13k for it, they're $22k new. So I figured if I could get a WRX that's 2 years old with less than 20k for ~$20k I would be making out alright. Once again, the only thing in that price range was old and high mileage ones. A 2010/35k mile WRX will only be about $2k cheaper than invoice of a new one and you don't get that sweet, sweet warranty. I ended up ponying up the extra money and ordered a 2013 WRX Premium for invoice price. I spent a little extra now to get a lot extra when I go to trade it in on my next vehicle (2018 STI? )

Just traded my 09 WRX for a 13 STi , all I can say is WOW ! The car is an absolute animal in the canyons ,
    slightly quicker accelerating , way better handling and the six speed is so much more precise and easy to shift .
    Also, you can't beat the looks ! The wing is awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by 09bluewrx View Post
    Just traded my 09 WRX for a 13 STi , all I can say is WOW ! The car is an absolute animal in the canyons ,
    slightly quicker accelerating , way better handling and the six speed is so much more precise and easy to shift .
    Time for a username change?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent22 View Post
    Time for a username change?
    And some pictures!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Although I did learn that there is a difference in the 04 & 05 models. I'm going to do my research on the differences, although I'm kind of confuzzled on what you mean by DCCD remapping. I know what the DCCD is but remapping it? interesting, learn something new about this cars everyday x)
    While the DCCD technically stands for "Driver controlled center differential," most drivers opt to switch the control of the center diff to a computer (DCCD computer) for the vast majority of driving. The computer will quite accurately determine the torque bias front to rear to limit the wheelslip. While the WRX and many other AWD systems (such as Audi Quattro) do this mechanically, the DCCD performs this task using a series of clutch packs and a planetary gearset (similar to the WRX 4EAT and Haldex Traction). The mapping, to which I refer, is the programming on the DCCD controller that is referenced to reduce wheelslip. Many report that the mapping on the 2004 USDM STi was inferior to the 2005 USDM models

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by 09bluewrx View Post
    The car is an absolute animal in the canyons ,
    Yeah these are a few of the reasons I want an STi > WRX, again not to say the WRX isn't great. Just thinking about selling it is tearing my insides apart (a little dramatic.. i know lol)

Many report that the mapping on the 2004 USDM STi was inferior to the 2005 USDM models
    Very interesting, So I assume that means more power to the ground and even better handling? What about reliability? Are they both pretty solid systems? Or do either have a bad rep for breaking?

BTW, love the Kenny Rogers .GIF xD I was raised on the dairy Bitch !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.