From WRX to STI - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on From WRX to STI within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Not sure what you have done for mods, but some suspension work and some shifter bushings will fix up some ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure what you have done for mods, but some suspension work and some shifter bushings will fix up some of these "weaknesses" of the wrx for not that much cash. I know that a lot of the people on this site have wrx's that outperform my STi in both power and suspension due to the modifications they have done. I'm assuming this is info that you already know though

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Brent22 View Post
    2013 WRX Premium
    How are you liking it so far?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Very interesting, So I assume that means more power to the ground
    The DCCD has nothing to do with the amount of power to the ground. Both the VLSD system in the WRX and the DCCD system in the STi absorb about 20% of the energy from the crank before it's transferred to the wheels. The DCCD is simply more effective at telling the power where to go. The VLSD AWD system is reactive, meaning that wheelslip must occur BEFORE it is corrected. DCCD is technically also reactive, but it reacts much faster. On Tarmac, it's unlikely you will be able to tell the difference (the front LSD on the STi plays a much bigger role in this), but gravel stages will tell a different tale.

Have you considered modifying to alleviate the weaknesses before giving up the car?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Not sure what you have done for mods, but some suspension work and some shifter bushings will fix up some of these "weaknesses" of the wrx for not that much cash. I know that a lot of the people on this site have wrx's that outperform my STi in both power and suspension due to the modifications they have done. I'm assuming this is info that you already know though
    Yeah I know this, I bought my WRX with the mind set of going Stage 2 and having a sick WRX, but there's just that wall. No 6 speed, No Brembo Brakes and I want that 2.5L with the VF39 & By the time I get all the things I want from an STi, I may as well have bought an STi in the first place, the Transmission alone is how much lol. Though, I do respect the hell out of WRX's that can beat an STi's & Evo's ass I just want a platform that is less limited, to work off of, that's all.

How are you liking it so far?
    Unfortunately I didn't get it yet. I ordered it a little over a month ago. I wanted a hatch, WRB, and premium (gotta have that moonroof!). I could only find 2 of 3.

I parted out a lot of my Spec V mods that I wasn't originally going to sell so I saved up a bit more than I planned for so I'm getting a mod list together. Because I modded my Spec V I have a good idea of what I want and don't want to do with the WRX. Off the bat I'm thinking...

Tint
    Sway bars + endlinks
    short shifter + bushings
    Mud flaps
    Winter wheels - bought some but I have to run 215's with them. Not sure how I feel about that yet. Motegi 17"'s for $200 was tough to say no to.
    Good summer and winter tires

Close to warranty expiration:
    Stage 2

I'll get the tint off the bat but after parting out my Spec V I definitely don't want to buy new parts so i'll sit and be patient for used parts.

Hopefully June-ish.
    Last edited by Brent22; 04-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Yeah I know this, I bought my WRX with the mind set of going Stage 2 and having a sick WRX, but there's just that wall. No 6 speed, No Brembo Brakes and I want that 2.5L with the VF39 & By the time I get all the things I want from an STi, I may as well have bought an STi in the first place, the Transmission alone is how much lol. Though, I do respect the hell out of WRX's that can beat an STi's & Evo's ass I just want a platform that is less limited, to work off of, that's all.
    Somtimes I wish I would have ordered the STI instead but I look at it and realize it's not worth the $10k to me (need the highest trim for the moon roof). 6 speed is swell and all but it's definitely not needed for daily driving (even spirited daily driving). If you're racing around a track 3rd gear in the STI might be at the best part of the powerband while the WRX has to take it in a high 2nd (and need to waste time shifting as soon as you're out of the turn). Basically, just easier to pick where in your power band you'll be. It'll also help you if you go high HP because it's a little stronger. I read that it's a little smoother to shift off the bat but some bushings on a WRX will make it better. My friend drove a 5 speed and then got a BRZ and said the 6 speed is too much shifting for DD. Take that with a grain of salt because he just said it in passing, wasn't an actual full fledge complaint. My only manual car has been my Spec V and that's a 6 speed so I can't comment.

This is going to get a lot of you bent out of shape. RE: Brake upgrades - NASIOC
    He seems to think upgraded brakes won't do anything. Personally, I don't know. I'd like to see braking comparisons between the two. If it's close I wouldn't make much of it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Fair enough. I bought the car to enjoy modifying and working from the ground up. Honestly I could care less what times the car gets on the track. That being said, honestly, for the price that used STis go for these days, there are cars that are MUCH better platforms on which to work for equal $$ -- a used 996 Carrera for example. Stock for stock, a 996 will OBLITRATE the WRX or STi on the track and have a much higher power ceiling. All EJ motors modified to north of 350whp on the stock internals are operating on borrowed time. Yes, the transmission is much stronger, but you will need an engine rebuild should you wish to achieve power levels that other cars can hit with ease -- and rebuilt motors are never as reliable as stock. Just my $0.02.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I haven't owned a WRX but when I bought my STi last summer (used '08 with 28k miles), I had been debating whether to get that or a new WRX. I don't regret my choice for a sec. I love the DCCD control and the throttle select. Even just an OTS tune from Cobb with an AP let's you boost select. The Brembo brakes are definitely worth it. (mostly on the track).

I took the risk knowing I might have to repair things buying a used STi but found a good enough deal I saw okay with up to $3k in repairs right after buying it.

Definitely want to see what you end up with.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.