BUYING A 02' REX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on BUYING A 02' REX within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey Guys: Im new to forums and instead of posting in the "New Memebrs" thread I decided to post in ...

BUYING A 02' REX

Hey Guys:

Im new to forums and instead of posting in the "New Memebrs" thread I decided to post in here because I need some answers asap. Im currentlly looking into getting a 02' wrx. Not my first Subie, I owned a SVX awhile back and loved the AWD drive of the car. Anyway Im looking at this WRX, like I said its a 02' 100k miles on it and what I really need to know is what to look for, what problems the wrx's have with high mileage etc... I know the timing belts the big thing with them but is there I should be warry of? Ill attach some piks of the car and let me know what you guys think. ANY HELP IS ALOT OF HELP!!!!!!! so please let me know. I always loved the older Rex's and hope with your guys help I dont buy a lemon. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx 1.jpg   wrx 2.jpg   wrx 3.jpg   wrx 4.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    See the how-to-buy threads in the purchasing forum. Car is later bigeye, modified, with replaced radiator. Check those threads for all info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

that^ also the intake is not stock which the car should be tuned for.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

At 100k miles, the timing belt service is due. Find out if that has been done or not, because that is a fairly expensive service.

As others mentioned, the car is modified, so that's always a gamble.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks Guys, and @ SD_GR I viewed the thread and it helped alot. The car has a CAI thast it, not exhaust, no tune. Im aware of the timing belt but is that the only real major issue? Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a bigeye myself. It's barely 11 years old so it'd be a waste for me to get a newer car yet -- with this attitude, I follow the manual to the letter.

So, by the time I did the timing belt, my car had also had a full set of brake pads, the ancillary belts, the water pump, all timing rollers, the crank seal, all four cam seals, and two radiators replaced. In addition it'd had twenty oil changes, the brake fluid twice, three gear oil changes, the spark plugs twice, the air filter five times, the coolant three times, two sets of tyres, the valve cover gaskets, and two batteries.

I have dated receipts for all parts, organized chronologically. See if you can find a similar car -- find some guy that shows you not just the car but also a binder; maybe someone tha shares my disdain for imitation parts and used OEM stuff. Take it to a mechanic anyway and take your time, they make more Imprezas every day.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-17-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.