Getting a 07 2.5 TR with Tranny Problems

This is a discussion on Getting a 07 2.5 TR with Tranny Problems within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm thinking about trading my S13 for it and the guy says 3rd gear blew on him. It has 66k ...

Getting a 07 2.5 TR with Tranny Problems

I'm thinking about trading my S13 for it and the guy says 3rd gear blew on him. It has 66k miles. What would repairs of buying a new tranny run me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you're looking at $1500-$2000+ if you just replace it straight with a used 5spd from somewhere and have a shop do the work. Replacing gears would probably be similar price considering you still have to remove the tranny and split the case and all that.

Either way, not that cheap.

But why did it blow? What did he do to it? Mods? History of the car?

Honestly...I wouldn't trade a good working car for one that is blowed up already.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    you're looking at $1500-$2000+ if you just replace it straight with a used 5spd from somewhere and have a shop do the work. Replacing gears would probably be similar price considering you still have to remove the tranny and split the case and all that.

Either way, not that cheap.

But why did it blow? What did he do to it? Mods? History of the car?

Honestly...I wouldn't trade a good working car for one that is blowed up already.
    He got it with a bad 3rd and took it to Subaru, they put in new gears. After the warranty ended the 3rd went out again. It has a clean title and I think he's the 2nd owner. I'm trading a 92 for an 07 so I think it's a good trade if the repairs aren't too much. I was going to sell my 240 and get an WRX anyway.

Does the car have any mods?

There's a reason why 3rd gear keeps going out IMO. Something's not right...or poor driving lead to it.

If you're going to sell your 240, then sell it and get a WRX that isn't already going to be a money pit. The repairs already are going to cost a fair amount.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Does the car have any mods?

There's a reason why 3rd gear keeps going out IMO. Something's not right...or poor driving lead to it.

If you're going to sell your 240, then sell it and get a WRX that isn't already going to be a money pit. The repairs already are going to cost a fair amount.

Here's the CL ad
    2007 Subaru wrx tr (7,500)

I was thinking, if I fixed it I'd have a newer car worth alot more.

I dunno, I'm with Mikie. Why has 3rd gear gone bye bye twice now?

Also, he has a BOV, which is usually suspect modifying in my book. His mods would require a protune, he doesn't mention that either.

Edit: Looking at it again, I'm more perplexed. Why would he jump to a MBC when he hasn't even gotten a downpipe? I can't tell from those little pics if the exhaust is stock or not, but I don't know why he wouldn't list any exhaust work in the list of mods.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 03-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Looks like it was modded by a noob (BOV, CAI, manual boost controller), I'd stay away for that reason alone.

It has a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust and stock downpipe

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Looks like it was modded by a noob (BOV, CAI, manual boost controller), I'd stay away for that reason alone.
    Yeah, I'm most likely going to just sell my S13 and get an 04-05. I just saw profit in this deal. IDK anything about subarus except I love them. Been lurking since 09 and will continue until I get one. I want an unmolested one, which are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Silo View Post
    It has a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust and stock downpipe
    Yeah, stay away. With the mods he has he either has the worst tuner in the world, or he isn't even remotely tuned properly. The 3rd gear issue is bad enough, but who knows what's going on with that engine.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"