What is considered TOO many miles?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What is considered TOO many miles? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello all, I'm still looking for a good WRX, and I had a question regarding miles. What's considered too many ...

What is considered TOO many miles?

Hello all,
    I'm still looking for a good WRX, and I had a question regarding miles.
    What's considered too many miles? I know it really depends on how the car was maintained, but at what point am I just asking for trouble?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/3688526323.html

Take the above link for example.
    The car looks and sounds well maintained, but is 142,xxx just too many miles regardless of how it was maintained?

I'm not necessarily looking to purchase this vehicle, but it is definitely one of the cleaner/stock ones in my area.
    I'm looking to spend no more than 10K, and I don't plan on modifying the car too much. Stage 2 at most.
    With the above mentioned mileage, how long do you think the car would run for assuming all maintenance was done properly?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Henry

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    my PERSONAL opinion.. if i were buying used, i'd not buy anything with more than an average 10k miles per year

however, most people average about 15k miles per year so 142k isnt that bad for an 03

like you said that maintenance is key. a car could have 50k miles on it and completely beat to hell and back... never had an oil change.. used the wrong type of gas... or it could have 230k miles of perfect driving/maintenance/service history/etc.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    my PERSONAL opinion.. if i were buying used, i'd not buy anything with more than an average 10k miles per year

however, most people average about 15k miles per year so 142k isnt that bad for an 03

like you said that maintenance is key. a car could have 50k miles on it and completely beat to hell and back... never had an oil change.. used the wrong type of gas... or it could have 230k miles of perfect driving/maintenance/service history/etc.
    Thanks for your input.
    I know the WRX is a reliable car, but too many of the drivers are not reliable owners. The high mileage does scare me, but it's very difficult finding a low mileage, low beat on WRX these days.
    There are other WRXs that have slower miles(95-110k miles) but have not had all the maintenance down like the above example.
    Maybe i should go check it out.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah it wont hurt to go look at it

take a look at this thread if you havent already ----> How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Too many miles is 1 mile past failure.

The head gaskets are not expendable items. Since the car had them replaced, one or both had failed at one point.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    yeah it wont hurt to go look at it

take a look at this thread if you havent already ----> How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    First thing I looked at when signing up for this forum.
    Sidenote, I pretty sure this is one of the ONLY forums that has such detailed write ups about how to buy a used xxxxxx.
    Great stuff you guys got going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Too many miles is 1 mile past failure.

The head gaskets are not expendable items. Since the car had them replaced, one or both had failed at one point.
    Great info.
    Thanks!

Depends if you have another car and are handy with a wrench. If you have another way to get to work, then you can deal with a higher mileage issues. I have some buddies with 150k +miles on their wrx's and they have had some issues but they are lucky enough to have other ways to get to work. If you will be stranded if anything breaks, then go for a lower mileage car or buy something else while you save more. Just my thoughts...happy searching!
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Head gasket failure is exceptionally uncommon on turbo Subarus. Leaves me wondering....
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you suspect a hard life and/or previous mods then? I suppose it's not unreasonable. It could just be luck of the draw though too. In any case one or both head gaskets failed at one point; no one in their right mind removes the front cover, cams, both heads, and then replaces everything, potentially with the motor still in the car, for no good reason.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sure a certified mechanic would be able to diagnose the car far better than an amateur like me could diagnose something over the internet... but certainly a "hard life" is never off the table!

OP, at the very least, I'd have a certified mechanic perform a compression/leakdown test before considering the purchase!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Seeing all of those new this and that has me thinking they fixed enough to sell.
    '11 WRX DGM

I Support ClubWRX
    It's all a matter of "do you understand/have the ability to work on" what you're buying. I know many people with little to no mechanical aptitude or interest, and I wouldn't recommend them buying anything over 100K...unless it was possibly a well-maintained Civic/Camry, or other car that's not likely to have been pressed far beyond its engineered limits.

I probably fall into a middle category...I've purchased an MR2T, WRX and other cars with mileage slightly below 100K, and have fixed the little things that came up.

Then there's people like Trainrex, who have the knowledge and resources (and patience) to fix anything.

You simply have to decide what you're comfortable with.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.