First Time WRX Buyer

This is a discussion on First Time WRX Buyer within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello clubwrx, I am new to this forum and to be honest cars too . But I do have a ...

First Time WRX Buyer

Hello clubwrx,

I am new to this forum and to be honest cars too . But I do have a good mechanical background being that I work on dirt bikes so I am not mechanically impared. I am interested in purchasing a stock 2006 wrx for $10-14,000 and doing some modding to it too. I would like to add a full exhaust system (including down pipe), an uppie, new air intake and then tune it with a cobb access port (obviously I wouldnt run any of those mods untill I gained access to an ap). But if I bought a wrx with around 90k miles on it, would it be safe to throw on these mods? or would I need a car with less miliage? I am not looking to race or anything, I just want something to work on thats fun to drive!
    Thanks guys,
    -Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No up pipe necessary on 2006+ WRXs.

Respectfully, may I ask your age?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    And to answer your questions... Those are great mods... Don't worry about headers or up pipe on an 06 WRX until a new turbo is in the cards.

90k can be either fine, or scary. Depends on how the maintenance has been taken care of.

If you really are wanting to be safe, a compression test and leak down test can be good predictors to the health of the engine. Also knowing maintenance records is a good thing.

Stage II is more than likely fine on a well maintained WRX at 90k. A nice thing about the 06, the boost level is a lot lower than the stock 05 WRX which was supposed to create less wear and tear on the turbo and engine. So by that theory an 05, and an 06 with the same maintenance and no modifications and the same driver... The 06 would be a safer bet.

As well, 13.5-15k is going to be more realistic than 10k.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks for your response, and to answer your question, I am 20.

I fell in love with the wrx after being around so many at my school haha and now I just must have one.

Now you said I wouldnt need an up pipe or down pipe unless a new turbo was put in. Do you mean a new stock turbo or a new upgraded turbo?

and does this mean I cant make mine a stage II untill I change the turbo? Because (corect me if Im wrong Im new to this) in order to tune to stage II wouldnt you need a new header (down pipe) which you said not to worry about?

I hope Im not asking too much haha I really appreciate the help though thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool! Just wanted to make sure you weren't 15

No headers or up pipe.

Yes on down pipe and access port (and if you'd like the Cobb sf intake. It'll give you the blow off valve sound without you causing any engine problems)

Catted down pipes are recommended with stock turbo 06/07 WRXs. They are more prone to boost creep than other years. That being said. I used a catless on mine, and didn't have problems... But I am at 6000ft altitude, and that changes things. (I'm 2psi less up here than anyone at sea level... So boost creep isn't as big of a deal or as likely)
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Oh awesome! I was actually trying to find another way to get the bov sound without buying a bov because of the engine harm I heard you could potentially cause... Thank you for answering my questions and sharing your knowledge about the cobb intake! Im glad I know that information now, thanks!
    This is an awesome forum.
    -Matt

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    What's wrong with being 15?

And good luck finding one wrxmatt! Tough to come by a solid WRX sometimes, but it's worth it once you get your hands on one.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru-Mopar-Luv View Post
    What's wrong with being 15?

And good luck finding one wrxmatt! Tough to come by a solid WRX sometimes, but it's worth it once you get your hands on one.
    Because in my opinion a 15 year old with a WRX is dangerous. It's like giving someone a M249 SAW and saying "go have some fun!" without teaching someone how to shoot a BB gun first.

It's just my opinion though. I'm not a fan of restrictions, or laws, but a "horsepower restriction" for 16-18 year olds wouldn't be a bad thing. (I'm fine with them in motorsports though if they've been trained properly)
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    I do agree that the majority of teenagers with quick cars and too much power spell imminent disaster, but grouping all teenagers together is wrong. There are 15 year olds out there who are far too passionate about their cars to go out and endanger their much loved car, nonetheless their lives, and the lives around them. I am one of those people and I just don't think a hp restriction law is appropriate. Maybe restrictions can be put in place after somebody has too many offenses. But, just like the insurance rates for Subarus in my area show, some idiots go out and ruin it for everybody else. Sorry for the rant OP and to Sinister, I know where you're coming from!
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419