Thinking that buying an 02-05 STI would be a better solution than a WRX

This is a discussion on Thinking that buying an 02-05 STI would be a better solution than a WRX within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I was thinking about buying a 02-05 WRX an putting alot of work into it. Wouldn't it be worth it ...

Thinking that buying an 02-05 STI would be a better solution than a WRX

I was thinking about buying a 02-05 WRX an putting alot of work into it. Wouldn't it be worth it to just buy the STI instead since I'm going to have to spend all this money to make it just as good as an STI an do what it's capable of? It would save me alot of money in the long run an then I could just work off of what it already has installed. It might take me alittle bit to pay it off but I have about $6,000 an my car is worth $3,000. Anyone agree with me on this one at all? I'm open to anything and interested on what people think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You will not be able to DIY an STi. Buy one straight if you want one. If you are US based you can buy an 04 or 05 only from the years you mentioned.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alright, here are some considerations you should make.

1. Short Run: The wrx will be quite a bit cheaper, but the sti will be quite a bit better. If it means you can pay off the car vs. not, or something similar to that, then someone like me might be inclined to go with the wrx. BTW, bugeyes are sexy, and in USDM, you can't get a bugeye sti. Just another consideration.

2. Long Run: The wrx will be cheaper if you replace everything anyway. However, unless you're in for a serious build, odds are you won't be upgrading the trans, building the engine, etc. The drivetrain alone will most likely run the cost of difference between an equivalent year wrx and sti. However, don't get caught up thinking about the sti's better suspension if you'll be upgrading that anyway, etc.

Your main questions should be: What are my plans eventually for this car, and What are my plans for this car in the amount of time it would take me to earn enough extra money to pay for the sti.

Oh, and yes, the 6mt IS worth it by itself. Drive them both once and you'll see it pretty clearly.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You will not be able to DIY an STi. Buy one straight if you want one. If you are US based you can buy an 04 or 05 only from the years you mentioned.
    I'm almost sure that I am going to get the STI over the WRX. Now knowing alittle bit more about it definitely helped me with my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    Alright, here are some considerations you should make.

1. Short Run: The wrx will be quite a bit cheaper, but the sti will be quite a bit better. If it means you can pay off the car vs. not, or something similar to that, then someone like me might be inclined to go with the wrx. BTW, bugeyes are sexy, and in USDM, you can't get a bugeye sti. Just another consideration.

2. Long Run: The wrx will be cheaper if you replace everything anyway. However, unless you're in for a serious build, odds are you won't be upgrading the trans, building the engine, etc. The drivetrain alone will most likely run the cost of difference between an equivalent year wrx and sti. However, don't get caught up thinking about the sti's better suspension if you'll be upgrading that anyway, etc.

Your main questions should be: What are my plans eventually for this car, and What are my plans for this car in the amount of time it would take me to earn enough extra money to pay for the sti.

Oh, and yes, the 6mt IS worth it by itself. Drive them both once and you'll see it pretty clearly.
    This is the car that I plan on having for years an years an years. This car is all I really wanted so I really want to turn it into something amazing even though it already is just the way it comes. There are something's that I won't be changing but also others that I would want to eventually change. Mainly my exhaust system an some work under the hood is always good since I want to put a really decent amount of HP into it. Right now I'm currently looking at an HKS Carbon Ti exhaust. Also Volk rims is something I really want to add but they do cost a pretty penny. So at the moment I'm looking at O.Z.

An yes I really do think that the 6Speed Transmission will suit me alot better an I'd love to be able to have a 6Speed. Especially if it's with the car that I've always wanted. I believe it would just be that much better.

Sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up, and are just looking for people to let you know it's a good choice :P

Definitely get the STI if your future plans involve any sort of racing. Otherwise, find some justification (even if that's just the 6mt), and go for it.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

+1

Almost wish I never drove my buddies STi now just because that 6 speed is so fun.

depends on your situation i guess. to me the 6 speed wasnt worth the 10k hike in price. just to say i have a "6 speed" (as the op stated he always wanted a 6 speed)

ive always wanted one again since i sold my rsx-s, but after driving both a 13 wrx and 13 sti back to back i just didnt "feel" 10k worth of difference in the shifting quality. was it better in the sti? of course? was it THAT much better like everyone makes it out to be? simple answer. no

its really only beneficial on the track. if your not going to regularely track your subaru. then IMO(and only my opinion) the sti is a waste of money

but i just read you are talking used not new. idk what the price difference is between a 05 wrx vs 05 sti similar miles. i just did a quick look in my area 05 ish wrx's run about 13-17k depending on condition and miles. cheapest 05 sti i found was 25k. and that was with 89,000 miles on the clock. so still a 10k price jump. you can buy and install ppg gears a lot cheaper than that. and thats only IF you need to rebuild your tranny.

depending on how you drive ive seen the stock tranny hold over 400whp. xluben is his name on nasioc if you want to search his build thread. he did eventually have to install ppg gears but that was pushing 450+whp through the stock trans on the track. and a real track not the drag strip.

just food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    depends on your situation i guess. to me the 6 speed wasnt worth the 10k hike in price. just to say i have a "6 speed" (as the op stated he always wanted a 6 speed)

ive always wanted one again since i sold my rsx-s, but after driving both a 13 wrx and 13 sti back to back i just didnt "feel" 10k worth of difference in the shifting quality. was it better in the sti? of course? was it THAT much better like everyone makes it out to be? simple answer. no

its really only beneficial on the track. if your not going to regularely track your subaru. then IMO(and only my opinion) the sti is a waste of money

but i just read you are talking used not new. idk what the price difference is between a 05 wrx vs 05 sti similar miles. i just did a quick look in my area 05 ish wrx's run about 13-17k depending on condition and miles. cheapest 05 sti i found was 25k. and that was with 89,000 miles on the clock. so still a 10k price jump. you can buy and install ppg gears a lot cheaper than that. and thats only IF you need to rebuild your tranny.

depending on how you drive ive seen the stock tranny hold over 400whp. xluben is his name on nasioc if you want to search his build thread. he did eventually have to install ppg gears but that was pushing 450+whp through the stock trans on the track. and a real track not the drag strip.

just food for thought
    Thanks man I appreciate the thought. I guess I know what I really want an that'd definitely be the STi. Even though I really wouldnt be driving it or taking it to the track that often I would just rather have the whole set up. Prices over in the area that I am in isn't to bad. But yet again its all depending on the mileage like you were saying. I guess it just all depends on the driver an who would be owning the car in the end.

Sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up, and are just looking for people to let you know it's a good choice :P

Definitely get the STI if your future plans involve any sort of racing. Otherwise, find some justification (even if that's just the 6mt), and go for it.
    Yea lol I guess you're right. Like I was just saying I guess that it really is up to who is going to be driving an owning the car in the end. But hearing everyones opinion is always good an seeing what people think.

Yea lol I guess you're right. Like I was just saying I guess that it really is up to who is going to be driving an owning the car in the end. But hearing everyones opinion is always good an seeing what people think.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Some things to consider:

02-07 WRXs or STIs by this time in their life, have almost always been abused, or built incorrectly and not maintained properly. Buy bone stock.... or buy a car that you KNOW the history on (documentation, 1 owner, etc)

06-07 WRXs (as opposed to 02-05 WRXs) have 2.5L engines (instead of 2.0), higher flowing injectors than STIs of previous years, MUCH better brakes, and stronger transmissions. Exceeding stock STI horsepower on an 06-07 is significantly easier than on previous years, as you do not require any fuel system upgrades.

02-03 WRXs (bugeyes) are VERY sexy cars... but have been known for a very weak 2nd gear. Be careful.

04-07 STIs. I absolutely despise the 6-speed transmission. But, it is considerably stronger than the WRX 5 speeds. With an STI.. you also get Brembo brakes... another very nice feature. Otherwise, there is no real reason to buy an STI, as everything else can be upgraded relatively inexpensively.

Plans for racing? I actually like the 5 speed better (less shifting). You will never use 6th gear on a track unless you are exceeding 150-160 mph. You WILL use the brakes though. The brakes would be the huge selling point on a STI for me... not the transmission. If you are careful and dont drive like an asshat... the transmission will be fine in either car. I have 6+ years on my 06 WRX with well over stock STI hp..... and I have successfully track raced it numerous times. The gear oil in my transmission is still clear, no metal flakes, etc.

If you have the money... sure, buy an STI.... make sure you research the insurance costs though.

Otherwise - best bang for the buck is the 06-07 WRX.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 03-15-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com