getting ready to make a new purchase: WRX hatch or BRZ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on getting ready to make a new purchase: WRX hatch or BRZ? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; alright, so I have a 2003 wrx sedan that I will be keeping and want something else to play with. ...

getting ready to make a new purchase: WRX hatch or BRZ?

alright, so I have a 2003 wrx sedan that I will be keeping and want something else to play with. Im torn between a wrx hatch and a BRZ. The one hand, BRZ is RWD and will be a lot of fun, but doesn't have a ton of space and I really wouldnt be able to drive it in the winter. The WRX Hatch has the space, but I already own an AWD car so I dont know if Id get bored with it and wish I bought the RWD car.

The BRZ has better gas mileage and will most likely cost less but could be more to insure, haven't gotten quotes yet. Ive drive the FRS and it's a ton of fun, but would prob get into more trouble with it than the wrx hatch. I'm also in a band and lug around equipment a lot so the hatch would be great for that, but I my wife has a Scion xD, so I can always use that too.

I'm looking for insight here from people who own a new 2011+ wrx hatch or a BRZ on their experiences with the cars. If someone went from one to the other that'd be awesome too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I own a 2011 hatch, and love it... Though honestly comparing the brz/frs to the wrx is damn near impossible. They were made for completely different reasons, and since you have a wrx that you're keeping, I couldnt see getting a new one. I have a feeling the old one wouldn't get used. As far as the brz/frs go.... I don't like them, they are a neat concept, but lack power. I would honestly prefer an mx-5 over them both. It handles better and its a roadster, though it is a bit feminine. If you want an inexpensive rwd car, that handles and is quick, I'd say get a Hyundai genesis 2.0t r-spec. Your can get on for about 27k and there is no limit on producttion like the brz (so many frs need sold before Subaru can sell a brz.) It also comes with brembo breaks, wider tires, better fuel economy (i think) and that damn 100k mile warranty

.... Idk, that's my 2Ę
    '11 WRX DGM

I Support ClubWRX
    I like this thread, it will help me to sort some things out as well! Hopefully the OP won't mind me participating.

I want to like the Genesis coupe, but at 3400 lbs it's a little porky for my sports car. The new front end looks weird to me, as does that weird dip in the glass after the B pillar. Testers have also said that it wants to understeer, and some have even said that it looks great on paper, but that the bits and pieces (shifting action, for one) don't work that great when you're really on it. I'm not a magazine racer...but there's probably a reason why the Gen seems to finish near the bottom in comparo tests.
    That said, I should probably drive one before I buy something in a few months. The specs do look intriguing for the money.

Miatas are supposed to be fantastic, but I'm just not a "cute convertible" kinda guy. Don't need a convertible top, and I do have a need to carry people short distances, here and there. The back of the BRZ is small, but will accommodate my kids in a pinch.

Everything keeps steering me back to the FR-S/BRZ, or something used and German.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey Phobic, I don't know if you're on there or not, but the ft86club forum as a "Versus" forum where people compare the twins to different cars. You may find something helpful there:

FR-S / BRZ vs.... - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Participation is always fine, even if it is a bit off topic. Comparing similar vehicles is very welcome!

The reason I haven't looked at the Genesis is because of it's porky ass size. Its just a bit too big. I love my bugeye because it's a stubby little midget, and thats why I like the frs/brz as well.

kwrxp brings up some good points and definite points I have thought about. If I buy a wrx hatch, my wrx sedan will prob just be left sitting most of the time, or I'll do something stupid with it like convert it to RWD... which would be awesome.

I Support ClubWRX
    BRZ simply because you already have a WRX.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Brz would be my choice vs the scion, but I keep hearing the brz are really hard to come by. Because some deal Subaru made with Toyota about so many frs to brz made, could be wrong though... A used 370 may be an option, no?

If you get a brz/frs lower it and get some better tires on it.
    '11 WRX DGM

If you've already got a WRX, it's a no brainer... BRZ or something comparable for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    Brz would be my choice vs the scion, but I keep hearing the brz are really hard to come by. Because some deal Subaru made with Toyota about so many frs to brz made, could be wrong though... A used 370 may be an option, no?

If you get a brz/frs lower it and get some better tires on it.
    I don't really like the 370, just a styling thing. Im sure it's a good car but it's not for me.

I like the idea of lowering the frs/brz but if you go too low it ruins the dynamics of the car so all the people with slammed ones are kinda dumb, IMO. And the tires that are on it are purposeful, they dont grip that great so you can just drift it haha. Im sure Id need new tires within 6 months anyways

Sounds like you want the BRZ. You already have a WRX and a way to haul stuff.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah if you are keeping the wrx then brz is what i would pick, but as stated i would heavily consider the mx-5 vs the brz
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I've actually read here and there that the BRZ/FRS can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the back, for such a small car. I believe it though, I was always able to get a lot more into my old acura than you would believe. Granted, that was a hatch, but still, fold down rear seats can make a big difference even on a small coupe.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I've actually read here and there that the BRZ/FRS can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the back, for such a small car. I believe it though, I was always able to get a lot more into my old acura than you would believe. Granted, that was a hatch, but still, fold down rear seats can make a big difference even on a small coupe.
    this is one thing Id love to test, but I dont think a dealer would let me haha.

I gotta find some willing friends that wont mind me shoving things in their FRS.

And If I do go with the frs/brz chances are good I would get the BRZ limited because of the nicer interior, unless the FRS release series is awesome.

Of course it's hard to gauge space from a picture, but it looks respectable for a like coupe.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 03-12-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

it's def not bad for a coupe. I could probably even fit my bass cab in there, not sure if anything else would fit with it though.

do you know if that top piece comes out? Im assuming yes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast