getting ready to make a new purchase: WRX hatch or BRZ? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on getting ready to make a new purchase: WRX hatch or BRZ? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by michaelwfox If Honda still made the S2K it would be my choice for RWD coupe. Sadly they ...

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    If Honda still made the S2K it would be my choice for RWD coupe. Sadly they don't make performance cars anymore and the used market for those is almost worse then the WRX market where I am.
    I looked into getting a used one and it isn't as bad as I thought. I mean yes they can be expensive (like WRXs), but there seems to be a good number of unmolested ones out there still. It's a sought after sports car so you're gonna have to pay to get it, but for a toy it still beats going new. I too wish Honda still made sportier stuff. Miatas rose in price when they got popular, but I think there's so many more of them so they aren't quite as much.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The 1-series BMW thought is interesting. I'll read up on what people have to say about them as driver's cars. I have the notion that most modern BMW's feel a little "disconnected" when compared to other sports cars, but I haven't been behind the wheel of a 1.

Don't want an S2K for the same reasons I don't want a Miata. It's a fine car, just not for me.
    I'm no bimmer expert but from a little research I did there were a lot of people who thought the 135 was just as good as the 1M (which is supposed to be fantastic). I would agree that most newer cars aren't going to give you the "connected drivers car" feeling that an older one will. It really is a shame Having an adjustible suspension would help that though. I would love to have one of the M3s from the late 80s/early 90s but not sure how bad the maintenance and repairs would be just to keep it on the road...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You don't like drop-tops or are you too tall?
    LOL, I'm 5'7", so that's not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldBigDealGetaWheel
    Miatas are supposed to be fantastic, but I'm just not a "cute convertible" kinda guy. Don't need a convertible top, and I do have a need to carry people short distances, here and there. The back of the BRZ is small, but will accommodate my kids in a pinch.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I looked into getting a used one and it isn't as bad as I thought. I mean yes they can be expensive (like WRXs), but there seems to be a good number of unmolested ones out there still. It's a sought after sports car so you're gonna have to pay to get it, but for a toy it still beats going new. I too wish Honda still made sportier stuff. Miatas rose in price when they got popular, but I think there's so many more of them so they aren't quite as much.
    Quick search on cars.com for my zip code shows 18 S2Ks in a 300 mile radius. All of which are above $10k. The cheapest being a 2001 with 112k miles for $10.5k lol. The most exspensive is a 2004 with 15k miles for $22k

LOL, I'm 5'7", so that's not the issue.
    Lol I'm the same height so I understand. I was just curious.

Also OP I'm sorry I have derailed this thread as far as I have.
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 03-13-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

no worries Michael, its more or less on track.

Ive never been a fan of s2ks, just not my style. The hardtops for them are pretty badass though, but still not for me.

I think Im leaning more towards the brz at this point and will most likely wait till the spring to see if anything is announced for more power/changes in trim/release series frs type ****.

And as for the BMW option, its def an idea but the price and cost of ownership is so much more for not much more of a car. Plus, I doubt they're as fun.

I Support ClubWRX
    I started looking around...I'd forgotten that the 1-series is a little on the ugly side.

I should put a caveat out there about convertibles...it's remotely possible that I could wind up in a newer Boxster if I stumbled across an awesome deal, and was able to put concerns about repair costs out of my mind..

Yeah, I've done some thread derailing here, as well.
    On topic, I guess I'll say that it will be interesting to see what rears its head later in the year. Apparently orders for the 2014 BRZ will be taken starting in June (I think...). It seems likely that it will be a repeat of the current model, from what's going around, but with 1st year bugs perhaps worked out. Phobic, are you thinking of waiting that long?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

yeah, I will definitely wait that long, or at least long enough to see changes for the 2014 models, both wrx hatch and brz/frs.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not holding my breath for anything new from Subaru until 2015. This is just my opinion
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I'm not holding my breath for anything new from Subaru until 2015. This is just my opinion
    Seems to be what a lot of people are saying! I don't think I want to wait that long for a new car, though. Plus, if they do make some kind of turbocharged monster out of it, it's a safe bet that the price will go considerably higher.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

if your keeping your wrx id buy a brz. if your trading in your wrx, then i would buy a newer wrx

I started looking around...I'd forgotten that the 1-series is a little on the ugly side.
    I agree, I think they look like they were picked up with a giant forceps before their metal skeletons were totally hardened.

Stop trying to get the thread back on topic!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I wish they'd sell the hatchback version of the 1 series over here. Id buy that, or the Shooting Brake concept FRS, would be amazing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I agree, I think they look like they were picked up with a giant forceps before their metal skeletons were totally hardened.
    I prefer to think of them as looking like our housecat, when I pull back the skin of her face and make her eyes kinda pop out. (and then hurriedly put her down and run like hell)
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I think Im gonna get a brz, but Im going to wait until the 2014 model is announced to see about any changes. Also I want to see what the FRS Release series is going to be like as well.

I used to own a 2002 s2000 and now own a 2011 WRX hatch. I also happen to work at a Subaru dealership and just recently spent a weekend in a silver limited 6-speed manual BRZ. Here's my thoughts

The BRZ is a true handler and makes me wish my WRX's suspension was half as good. The BRZ has a ton of space when rear seats are folded. I sold the car to a 45 yr old mom that traded her 350 and she had way more room for groceries and such.

If anyone wants one, drop the extra 2g's and get a limited. Good value for what it offers.

IMHO the BRZ falls evenly in between the miata and S2000. What it lacks in power it deff makes up in the turns.

Hope this helps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.